Does Speccy save a log file?

hughert

Hi, my HP laptop recently blackscreened on me. :o

According to HP's "flash code" chart the problem is the CPU, an AMD Phenom II. They don't look to be too expensive on ebay but there are several models, and obviously I can't run Speccy to check which one I have.

However I can view my harddrive by putting it in an enclosure & hooking it up to a different pc.

So, does Speccy save a log file somewhere that I can view this way? Or will I just have to pull the laptop apart & look at the actual chip?

Alternatively, could I just "upgrade" to a different Phenom model? Or would that cause some sort of problems?

• Moderators

You can tell Speccy to save a 'snapshot', or an xml, or a text file, or even just print a report off (from the file menu), but as far as I know it does not save one automatically.

http://www.piriform.com/support/speccy#204044294

So I guess this is not what you are after here, unless you have already saved one previously it won't be on the drive.

It's something to bear in mind for future use though, print one off and put it somewhere safe.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

@hughert,

welcome to the forums.

another thing to keep in mind, as has been discussed before in other threads concerning Speccy - sometimes it gets it wrong.

whether that's Speccy's direct fault or not, it non-the-less cannot be completely trusted.

for example, the wrong CPU temperature, and the wrong RAM amount/slot/configuration come to mind.

nothing beats a visual inspection!

as to upgrading the CPU on laptops, that tends to be a rather big task,  pulling laptops apart for a start is no straight-forward operation.

all laptops are different and I don't know your HP make/model, but you may find the CPU on that HP cannot even be pried off the motherboard.

getting another laptop,. like you have, would have been the less stressful approach. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.