BBC used to entice cyber victims

chiawaikian

BBC news

People are being warned about spam e-mails containing BBC News stories designed to trick them into visiting malicious websites.

Cyber criminals are using the messages to exploit a recently discovered flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

If users click on the link, they are taken to a fake website that installs a piece of software that can monitor online financial activity.

People who receive the e-mails are advised to not follow the link.

The alert, from security firm Websense, comes less than a week after security firms found three flaws in the popular browser.

Ha ha... :lol:

When in doubt, right E? :P

Thanks for the info, chiawaikian. :D

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Here is an anti-spoof weapon that can also probably be used :

http://crypto.stanford.edu/SpoofGuard/

SpoofGuard is a browser plug in that is compatible with Microsoft Internet Explore. SpoofGuard places a traffic light in your browser toolbar that turns from green to yellow to red as you navigate to a spoof site. If you try to enter sensitive information into a form from a spoof site, SpoofGuard will save your data and warn you. SpoofGuard warnings occur when alarm indicators reach a level that depends on parameters that are set by the user.

Here is an anti-spoof weapon that can also probably be used :

http://crypto.stanford.edu/SpoofGuard/

SpoofGuard is a browser plug in that is compatible with Microsoft Internet Explore. SpoofGuard places a traffic light in your browser toolbar that turns from green to yellow to red as you navigate to a spoof site. If you try to enter sensitive information into a form from a spoof site, SpoofGuard will save your data and warn you. SpoofGuard warnings occur when alarm indicators reach a level that depends on parameters that are set by the user.

Have you used this program or found any problems with it's compatability sounds kinda neat but am very cautious about puting things on my system.

IE7 Beta has an anti-phishing feature built in which warns you if you visit a suspected or known phishing site that warned me about a bad website once. I think it's a neat and useful feature. A lot of people aren't impressed by IE7 often because of the way its user interface is set up. I personally don't use it much because it loads web pages much slower than Firefox, at least on my PC.

At least MS is finally devoting more effort to incorporate security features :P .

• Moderators

At least MS is finally devoting more effort to incorporate security features :P .

True!

They are serious about security, however as soon as MS secures something either via the typical patch or service pack, or even a new version it's exploited. I guess it's just the consequences of being the most heavily used OS worldwide.