Can not find Windows Updates on my system

OLLI_S

Hello,

CCleaner Cloud reports in the tab "Software" in the section "Windows Updates" that there are the following Windows Updates available:

Windows 10 and later drivers (9)

• Intel - Other hardware - Intel® Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel® WDT)     2.98 MB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 8C90    50.68 KB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 8C94    50.68 KB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 8C96    50.68 KB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Host Controller - 8CA2    50.68 KB     Available
  • Intel driver update for Intel® Management Engine Interface    3.09 MB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® Xeon® processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0C00    50.68 KB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® Xeon® processor E3 - 1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01    50.68 KB     Available
  • INTEL driver update for Intel® Z97 Chipset LPC Controller - 8CC4    50.68 KB     Available

Windows 8.1 and later drivers (1)

• Canon - Printers - Canon MG5200 series Printer    16.05 MB     Available

All entries in Windows 10 and later drivers are grayed out, so I can not select them.

Only the entry in Windows 8.1 and later drivers is available.

When I check for available updates in Windows 10 then there are no updates available!

Can you please explain, why Windows 10 does not report these updates?

Is there a way to install these updates in Windows 10?

Why can't I install the updates listed in Windows 10 and later drivers via CCleaner Cloud?

Greetings

OLLI

• 1 year later...

I hate to necro-post but this is still an open question years later as far as I can tell.

I've written directly to support and never got a reply.

I would hate to apply these to my HP or Lenovo systems and discover they break vendor written drivers.

Does anyone have an info on this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I suspect that this is a Windows 10 option that you have set, or have inadvertantly turned off.

If Windows Updates is not offering you these these driver updates for Windows 10 then either:

1. You do not have this computer set to automatically update drivers, or have turned it off.
    Some people turn this off not realising that "manufacturerss' apps and custom icons", includes drivers.

If you want to have Windows Update 10 automatically check for and install the latest drivers, here's how:

Open the Start menu and type "Control Panel". (Just start typing with the menu open).
    Open the control panel and select Devices and Printers.
    Right-click the name of your computer, and then click Device installation setting.
    You will get a dialogue about automatically updating "manufacturerss' apps and custom icons" - ("manufacturerss' apps" includes drivers).
    Select Yes (recommended), and then click Save changes.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. These are not needed for your computer, (or may already have been installed by another programme).
  3. Windows Update is not working properly, you may need to repair your Windows installation. (Unlikely, check the others first especially the updates setting).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad

Thank you for the feedback.

1) Device installation settings is set to Yes (recommended) already. 

2) I think this is my issue, we should not be seeing updates that are not needed for a given computer or have already been installed by another program.

3) Windows Update is working as expected.

I appreciate your assistance. I tested using two RMM tools and none of them found needed updates. Only CCleaner Cloud did so I believe this is an bug.

• Moderators

It does sound like #2 then.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that CCleaner Cloud is just listing all Windows 10 updates that are available at any time, whether they apply to your machine or not.

Microsoft itself knows more about what chips, disc drives, programmes, etc. are installed in your particular machine so knows not to offer/give you these updates.
Windows 10 does gather a lot of data about your hardware and what software you have installed, and links all this information to your machines unique digital entitlement.

I suspect that if CCleaner Cloud started doing the same level of 'snooping' there would soon be lots of shouting about it.

It was said in the original post that the Windows 10 INTEL drivers found were greyed out and not selectable in CCleaner Cloud; so presumably CC had noted that they did not apply to that machine even though it still listed them as available (in case you had another machine with INTEL chips that did need updating?).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I created a support ticked 18 months ago and did get a non-satisfying answer.

I decided to stop using CCleaner Cloud because:

• it does not have one very important feature, the Update Manager that keeps my system and installed apps up-to-date
  • I posted many suggestions here in the forums but never get a reply from a Piriform employee (in a support ticket they wrote "we all read them" but getting no feedback is annoying)
  • Answers from support tickets are also not really satisfying...

I have to administrate in my family 6 computers and 4 Android smartphones.
I will come back to CCleaner Cloud when you implement the update manager, when you offer an Android App (so I also can start CCleaner on Android via the web browser) and when you allow to execute applications on the target machine (start the virus scan remote via a command line).
At the moment I am doing this via TeamViewer (I also suggested that you implement screen sharing and remote control, but executing applications would be a good start).

Of cause I will get a Pro account where I pay a yearly fee when these features are implemented.
But after I did not get any reply for the "Update manager" for nearly 30 months now, I doubt that this will be implemented.

Regards

OLLI