Question about cleaning temp folders

Lappen

For some reason the temp folder for my user isnt getting cleaned

Located here

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Temp

WIN XP SP2

CCleaner version 1.28.277

Is there a setting that will enable me to get this cleaned or do I have to add it to custom folders?, And yes the data in the folder is older than 48 hours

• Moderators

You can manually add that folder to Custom Files and Folders here's how to enable it:

1. Run CCleaner and then click the big 'Options' button on the left.
  2. In Options click 'Custom'.
  3. Click 'Add Folder' and browse to that temp folder. Select Yes when prompted.
  4. Click the big 'Cleaner' button on the left, now look at the bottom under Advanced and tick 'Custom Files and Folders'.

Note: I don't think this will respect the 48 hour rule of ignoring temp files!

You can manually add that folder to Custom Files and Folders

Yes I know ;) My question was if that is the only way, I am a bit mystified to why that folder isn?t cleaned by default since it?s a standard temp folder in Win XP

Have you noticed the note about the "48 hour rule" in Andavari's post? Under Options, Advanced there is a field "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours". Uncheck this and it should clean everything (except files that are in use by another program).

Have you noticed the note about the "48 hour rule" in Andavari's post? Under Options, Advanced there is a field "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours". Uncheck this and it should clean everything (except files that are in use by another program).

Thanx, that worked!

Next question is why ;) Since the data is/was older than 48 hours why doesn?t it get cleaned even when that option about 48 hours is active?

see pic below

temp.GIF

• Moderators

Thanx, that worked!

Next question is why ;) Since the data is/was older than 48 hours why doesn’t it get cleaned even when that option about 48 hours is active?

I don't have the slightest ideal why CC would ignore files older than 48 hours. However, I have always disabled the 48 hour rule with no consequences that I've been able to detect.

You actually have already supplied your part of the test; the only additional thing is to make sure that your %TEMP% environment variable does indeed point to the Temp folder in Documents and Settings.

I have created a number of tmp files in my Temp folder, and I will check on Monday how Ccleaner will handle them with the 48 hours rule checked. If I see the same behaviour as you, then we can submit a bug report to the developer.

as far as i am informed, the

subfolder is not a regular Temp-folder. it might have been created by some application for swapping.

%temp% usually refers to the standard windows\temp directory.

pwillener, you don?t have to wait till monday to obey the 48 h rule of deletion. just change the mac-time status of those files :)

Oliver

You actually have already supplied your part of the test; the only additional thing is to make sure that your %TEMP% environment variable does indeed point to the Temp folder in Documents and Settings.

My settings on Win XP Pro SP2

temp2.GIF

as far as i am informed, the

subfolder is not a regular Temp-folder. it might have created by some application for swapping.

%temp% usually refers to the standard windows\temp directory.

pwillener, you don?t have to wait till monday to obey the 48 h rule of deletion. just change the mac-time status of those files :)

Oliver

System temp and user temp are different by default on NT based systems as far as i know, see picture above

%TEMP% is %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp. Each user gets their own temp folder. It's created by Windows and all 32-bit programs that check for %TEMP% will get pointed there.

C:\Windows\temp hasn't been used since Win9x and it is there for compatibility purposes.

edit: beaten

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

aha, good to know,

just strange that we don?t have these %userprofile% folders on our maschines here,

Oliver

%USERPROFILE% is an environment variable that points to:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME

All 2k/XP machines use it.

%TEMP% is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp" (instead of a real path) so that it can be dynamic - each user's %TEMP% will get filled in with the proper value. You don't usually get to see that, unless you are in System Properties and edit your global %TEMP% variable. When %TEMP% is fully expanded, it ends up pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp. However, when *you* query %TEMP%, it will show you the fully expanded value instead of the one containing %USERPROFILE%. Hope that clarifies it.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

%TEMP% is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp" (instead of a real path) so that it can be dynamic - each user's %TEMP% will get filled in with the proper value.

I understand what you mean DjLizard,..., It is just strange that these dynamic %userprofile%-temp folders have never been created upon install on our maschines here. In other words they just don?t exist. (WinXP Pro). Instead it is:

%windir%\Temp for all users.

Maybe Windows had a bad day during install :)

I think the best way is, like Andavari said, to create a designated temp-folder where all the crap temp-files can end up, instead of having those files spread in different temp-folders all over the system.

Oliver

• Moderators

@Oliver

If you use my method and subsequently have multiple user profiles pay close attention this is (it's what DJLizard wrote in another thread):

If you change them to non-dynamic versions of TEMP and TMP (like Andavari did), there exists the possibility of conflicts on multi-user systems, especially when taking advantage of Fast user-switching. On a single user system, this is not an issue.

Back to the original issue...

I have created a number of tmp files in my Temp folder, and I will check on Monday how Ccleaner will handle them with the 48 hours rule checked. If I see the same behaviour as you, then we can submit a bug report to the developer.

I have just run Ccleaner (with the 48 hours option checked), and it has detected and deleted all temp files I have created last Friday. So I do not see this "bug".

Back to the original issue...

I have just run Ccleaner (with the 48 hours option checked), and it has detected and deleted all temp files I have created last Friday. So I do not see this "bug".

Well I still have the same issue :unsure:

I see the folders and data in the analyze mode but it's not in the report after cleaning... and when the cleaning is done there?s still files & folders older than 48 hours in that folder... Could the analyze routine be part of it? That it for some reason marks the files as being in use? Or is it my system/setup?

I usually never use the Analyze button; I just go straight into Run Cleaner. Usually - but this time I did run Analyze first, then ran the Cleaner. So that's not the issue.

Could it be that these files are used by other apps? Can you try to delete some of them manually?

Could it be that these files are used by other apps? Can you try to delete some of them manually?

Tested to delete some of the files, no problem what so ever, went straight to the recycle bin without any warnings about being in use.

temp3.GIF

I realize that I could ad that folder to custom folders and or uncheck the 48 hours option but I thought that the author of this great program and the users of the forums might be interested in trying to resolve this problem. If not feel free to tell me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the analyze option tags the files as beefing used, at least on my system, the last couple of days I have used the run cleaner directly instead of first using the analyze button and the files are now being removed even with the 48 hours rule active :)

• 4 months later...

It seems that the analyze option tags the files as beefing used, at least on my system, the last couple of days I have used the run cleaner directly instead of first using the analyze button and the files are now being removed even with the 48 hours rule active :)

Did this issue ever get resolved?

I am experiencing exactly the same problem - old unused *.tmp files in C:\Documents and Settings\(User)\Local Settings\Temp are not being cleaned; they do not show up on Analyze but can be manually deleted when listed by %temp%

Otherwise, a great program - thanks!