Updated file 2.21 Won't open

Currently I am using 2.19.182 on Compaq Presario SR5601-P, Vista SP-1, 2 GB RAM, 4400+ Athlon dual core.

When I click on the dfsetup221.exe file, nothing happens. I have user accounts disabled. Same thing when I run as administrator, nothing. Cursor turns to a circle and spins, then nothing.  I cannot upgrade past the version I am using. I have DEP turned completely off, I have no problems with any other programs or updates.  Same problem (even more problems) when I had SP-2, so I rolled back to SP-1 and have a much better, faster system.  Clicking on the file/right clicking then pressing on run, nothing.  It just won't execute.  If I go back to the version I'm using, it opens, but it's the same version.

Why won't the new version run on my (32-bit) system?

?????

No valid reason why it shouldn't open.

• Moderators

Have you tried using the portable version to see if that will open?

Have you tried deleting your download and downloading again using a different browser?

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

What antivirus software do you use? You may want to check your antivirus logs to see if it's blocking the setup file.

ESET NOD32 doesn't like the Piriform installers because of the 3rd party Google software in them (browser/toolbar), as seen here:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c49553cb735aa2bc76dfa7379d0232aabf718e635021215035b35f4d3b9ff7e5/analysis/

What antivirus software do you use? You may want to check your antivirus logs to see if it's blocking the setup file.

ESET NOD32 doesn't like the Piriform installers because of the 3rd party Google software in them (browser/toolbar), as seen here:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c49553cb735aa2bc76dfa7379d0232aabf718e635021215035b35f4d3b9ff7e5/analysis/

I use no antivirus.  At all.  Call me stupid, but it just slows my system down.

User account control is off.

DEP is off.

No Symantec, McAffee, Nothing, just windows Defender, not real time.

Yes, I tried the portable version.  Nothing works.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times.  Nothing higher than version 2.19.98 opens.

The update file refuses to open, back to square one.

What is causing this?  I have basically an open unsecure system and the file doesn't want to open, only the older version.

• Moderators

NO AV SOFTWARE........     Oh, @chiefhighliner, where does one start. :)

Until you install some AV software, and scan the crap out of that PC for malware, you are probably a victim of the very cause of your problems.

And it's going to be hard to offer help when everyone will be thinking the same thing.

If the big, paid-for AV vendors are slowing your PC down, try the lighter products on offer from AVG, Panda or Avast.

And being a recent convert back to Nortons, I can confirm their bad days of bloatware are long gone.

The only advice I can offer for you to try is; have you put the PC into Safe Mode and see if it installs then.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Until you install some AV software, and scan the crap out of that PC for malware, you are probably a victim of the very cause of your problems.

And it's going to be hard to offer help when everyone will be thinking the same thing.

If the big, paid-for AV vendors are slowing your PC down, try the lighter products on offer from AVG, Panda or Avast.

And being a recent convert back to Nortons, I can confirm their bad days of bloatware are long gone.

The only advice I can offer for you to try is; have you put the PC into Safe Mode and see if it installs then.

I ran a full scan with windows defender.  No issues.

I ran a full scan with CCleaner.  No issues.

I ran a full scan with Malware bytes.  No issues

I ran a full scan with Adware Cleaner.  No issues.

I ran a full scan with Norton Power Eraser.  No issues.

MY. SYSTEM. IS. NOT. INFECTED.  PERIOD.

THE.  NEW.  DEFRAGLER. UPGRADE.  WILL. NOT. OPEN.  PERIOD.

??????

!!!!!!!

Same deal in safe mode.  I already tried that.

THE. UPDATE.  FILE.  WILL.   NOT.   OPEN.

????

!!!!!

One reaches a point of futility, and just gives up.  Which I hate doing, but sometimes there is no solution.

I just use the outdated, older version and hope that I'm not missing out on any of the improvements.

There is no way I'm going to let Microsoft usher me into a new computer and a new operating system when mine is working just fine, and a lot faster, too, because I have deleted all the bloatware and minimized my startup programs.

I just want to be able to click on a scanned .exe file and have it work, that's all.

• Moderators

Right-click run as admin?

Tried running it in safe mode?

Does Microsoft's built -in defragger work?

Tried right-clicking on Defraggler, selecting Properties and running in Compatibility mode for another OS?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com