Why are there suddenly Google Chrome entries in CCleaner?

wigga whambo

try Analyze and check which browser/location the rule detect

check your cc settings for CustomLocation just to be sure there are no CL

open cc > Tools > Browser plugins > Chrome > right click any plugin/extension > Open containing folder

Yeah I opened cc > Tools > Browser plugins > Chrome > right click any plugin/extension > Open containing folder and the chrome tab is empty.

I don't know what you mean by "Custom Location"

And when I Analyze and watch the paths go by real quickly, I don't see anything with "Chrome" listed in there.

You can also right click the "Google Chrome" main heading in CCleaner to Analyze or Clean. This will allow you to see if it finds anything only for Chrome.

​I already did that and it's not.  It doesn't find a thing.

​If only I could find out where that's pointing to, I think it would solve this whole thing.

I don't know what you mean by "Custom Location"

you can either check for that entry in cc setting using Regedit or ccleaner.ini (inside cc installation folder) incase you enable "Save all settings to ini file"

location in registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner

try this at your own risk

might solve the problem but i prefer if dev able to find the problem without "uninstall and reinstall" method

this is not the first time people use it to solve cc problem

maybe better if you submit support ticket

export "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner" and delete the key

open CC again..your CC should be in default setting like when you first install CC

check if chrome still being detected

you can import the exported reg back to get your cc settings

might solve the problem but i prefer if dev able to find the problem without "uninstall and reinstall" method

this is not the first time people use it to solve cc problem

Sounds like other people have had this problem too.

Yeah, I would rather see the developer (I think you're one of them, right?) see if they can fix this with a future update.  These empty ghost entries that can't be removed.

Another suggestion would also maybe at least allow us to see where those entries are pointing to when right mouse clicking (for example) the "Google Chrome" main heading in CCleaner to Analyze or Clean, even if there's no data in that entry to clean out.  Just an empty pathway or position being pointed to.  That would give us a clue.

• Moderators

what about using the /EXPORT switch?

it should show all references to where it is looking for Chrome?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
what about using the /EXPORT switch?

it should show all references to where it is looking for Chrome?

chrome uses specialkey to detect, export won't help

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

OK.  :)  (I'll add that to the other thing I learnt today)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Yeah, I would rather see the developer (I think you're one of them, right?)

Nobody that has posted in this topic is affiliated with Piriform, i.e.; not employed by Piriform, at least as of this post of mine. We're just all regular users of the software that volunteer some time to help.

---------

Based upon many other posts over the years Google Chrome seems iffy based upon it's cleaning and detection. For some people CCleaner won't clean Chrome no matter what advise is given. Then a small selection of other people end up with it being a ghost remnant that's still detected - but when trying to find it either in files or in the registry by the end-user it can't be found - yet CCleaner may still detect it.

---------

Edit:

One other place to look is in the registry if you've ever used any Chromium-based browser such as SRWare Iron, etc., is for the Chromium registry key. Even if you used a "portable" version of a Chromium browser you can/may/will end up with this key being created:

HKCU\Software\Chromium

Usually that key location is to store: Browser Exit Codes

Edited by Andavari

Nobody that has posted in this topic is affiliated with Piriform, i.e.; not employed by Piriform, at least as of this post of mine. We're just all regular users of the software that volunteer some time to help.

​I'm sure that's technically true, but this forum is directly linked to piriform.com's website, so they are in some form or another sanctioning this forum in some way.  And I would find it hard to believe "they" aren't reading this and getting feedback from it even though "they" claim not to directly participate here.

​I did find the HKCU\Software\Chromium entry in there and deleted it, but it still shows up in the menu so that didn't solve the problem.  I suspect this is a bug and hopefully it will be corrected at some future date.

​I did find the HKCU\Software\Chromium entry in there and deleted it, but it still shows up in the menu so that didn't solve the problem.  I suspect this is a bug and hopefully it will be corrected at some future date.

in this case, the portable launcher doesn't do the job well in cleaning the browser traces

you already delete two but you use 4 chrome-based browser

you need to search for all 4 browser

i hope dev can create a diagnostic tool like mbam_check or improve /debug command

i prefer another tool because it can help when cc cannot run

i know it's not cc fault but i think it can help solve this kind of problem and provide information that can bring improvement to CC