Windows XP Admin Global User Cleanup

NewScience

I was wondering, if you are running CCleaner on Windows XP/Vista, if a preference was selected, couldn't you break-out each users SID/SAM record from HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList and then load each NTUSER.DAT file (one at a time) and verify information in their hive data. This way you could cleanup CLASS problems, pathname values, .....

Once information is displayed and user wants cleaned (you could even have a tree item for each user on the left panel), if the user is to be cleaned ... just reload the hive, fix the problem and then unload the hive. Then move onto the next user.

This method could also be used by getting the users Profile from the hive (to determine the Home Directory - Documents and Settings/....), in order to cleanup temp crap as well.

Just and idea I've been kicking around. I do it manually all the time ... and it saves having to reboot into each users environment to clean.

CCleaner hasn't been tested with Vista yet.

Well, supposedly, it was made Vista compatible in version 1.25:

v1.25.201

- Restyled the top of the main window.

- Removed Exit button.

- Added VBScript support to Ini files.

- Tools/Options section buttons now stay highlighted.

- Added Opera cookie cleaning.

- Updated to be compatible with Windows Vista.

- Fix bug in shortcut detection routine.

- Optimized registry scanner routines.

- Added Turkish translation.

- Updated Dutch and French translations.

- Minor bug fixes and optimizations.

Whether this means it has actually been tested on the WinVista beta or not, I can't really say.

Regardless, that is an interesting idea, but I do see a potential problem with it:

What if those other users don't want their accounts cleaned? I would like it if CCleaner was installed into All Users, but I don't know if having one user be able to clean all accounts is good or not. It may save people like you and me time, but for others, it would be a nightmare. I can just see people coming on here saying "things were removed from my computer, and I never even ran CCleaner!", when in fact, their son or daughter may have done so and just not told them.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

hehe...sorry :P I was looking at this.

Help - Frequently Asked Questions - Installing

What operating systems does CCleaner work with?

Fully tried and tested with Windows 95/98/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003.

It's also fully compatible with XP Service Pack 2.

(There is no Mac or Unix version.)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

hehe...sorry :P I was looking at this.

Help - Frequently Asked Questions - Installing

What operating systems does CCleaner work with?

Fully tried and tested with Windows 95/98/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003.

It's also fully compatible with XP Service Pack 2.

(There is no Mac or Unix version.)

Yes, but for systems where you are the only Admin and everyone else is a less than Admin user (or just limited user), this could be performed. Especially in folder cleanup and pathname verifications in the registry. Regardless if you are an Admin or less than, a path error is still a path error. Classes errors are still classes errors. And junk files are still junks files. If you have an invalid HKCU\...\Run path error, it should be removed ... whether the user wanted it or not.

That is what SYSTEM Administration is all about ... and that is what we are looking for ... right? Clean and neat.

Reminds me, I need a drink ... Clean and Neat! B)