registry backup should name reg file with o.s. name, bit

I have w7, w8 and w10 multiboot on my pc, all are working.

I run ccleaner on all three independently.

I find that when I backed up registry within ccleaner, it saved with a name "cc_20160501_071505.reg",

I think first one "20160501" is the date, and I don't know what second one "071505" is?

The problem is, I now have 5-6 registry backups created by ccleaner, and I don't know which one is of w7, w8 or w10, so these are effectively useless for me.

I can't even delete older version, not knowing which one is which.

Please make the filename more elaborate, include "operating system name, bit size", so that user can decipher it, back up it for safe keeping, or whatever.

Without this clarity, user will not even be able to restore registry in case of any problem, because the use would not know which file is for which os. (of course, user can use other guess method like date of back up creation.)

also what that second one "071505" is? if it is not relevant to user, please don't include in the file name. If it can be decoded to o.s. name, please share naming method with us.

Edited: I use 5.03 version.

Thanks.

--

Rawat

Edited by vsrawat

• Moderators

071505 is simply the time in 24hr format. i.e. Quarter past 7 in the morning (and 5 seconds).

When you make the registry backup you get a dialogue box to browse to the save location, you can put any filename you like in there before you save the backup.

And just to note,

These are not full registry backups, it only backs up the reg. entries that you are fixing/deleting with that clean.

Advice is always that you should not run any registry clean/fix as regular housekeeping.

That is not what they are intended for.

(And despite what many think it will not noticably speed up your computer).

Only use it if you are having a problem, or maybe when you have just uninstalled some software.

Even then you should check through each entry on the list carefully.

Just hitting the 'fix' button can cause no end of problems if you are not sure what you are doing, even making your computer unusable.

This advice applies to all registry cleaners not just CCleaner's.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

071505 is simply the time in 24hr format. i.e. Quarter past 7 in the morning (and 5 seconds).

When you make the registry backup you get a dialogue box to browse to the save location, you can put any filename you like in there before you save the backup.

And just to note,

These are not full registry backups, it only backs up the reg. entries that you are fixing/deleting with that clean.

Advice is always that you should not run any registry clean/fix as regular housekeeping.

That is not what they are intended for.

(And despite what many think it will not noticably speed up your computer).

Only use it if you are having a problem, or maybe when you have just uninstalled some software.

Even then you should check through each entry on the list carefully.

Just hitting the 'fix' button can cause no end of problems if you are not sure what you are doing, even making your computer unusable.

This advice applies to all registry cleaners not just CCleaner's.

yeah, we can name that while saving. often I forget that I will be running the same thing in other os, so...

oh, this is not complete registry file.

Thanks for telling, I was not aware of that.

Really never had any problem with ccleaner's registry cleanup so never needed this file.

Still I was keeping it as a backup of full registry, just in case I ever need that.

Now, I guess, I can delete them after my system has run safely for one or two days after registry cleanup.

Thanks.

--

Rawat

• Moderators

If you look at the filesize of the backups you will see that it can vary quite a bit for each one.

I've got six at the moment ranging from 3KB to 26KB

If it were a full backup you would expect each one to be much larger and of a reasonably consistent size.

Still a good idea to make them and keep them around for a while just in case.

(You'll find a few threads on here from people who 'never had a problem with the registry cleaner' but now have an unresponsive/bricked machine).

I can see that with your setup it might be nice to have the OS automatically in the filename, and should be possible, but then where do you stop?

No doubt everybody would want something slightly different depending on their own setup, so it's probably easier to just let the user put their own filenames in.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Just save the backups into your My Documents ("Documents") folder, surely those would all be separated between the various OSes you have installed unless of course you're using the same folder path for all of the OSes.