CCleaner not uninstalling itself...

lokoike

I feel I should mention this, even though it may seem stupid and obvious:

If you use CCleaner's uninstaller and attempt to remove CCleaner, it will remove it from the Windows Add & Remove Programs list, and it will partially remove itself as well, but not totally.

The problem with this is that the uninstaller for CCleaner is deleted, so the only way to totally delete it is to manually remove the CCleaner files and folder left over.

Now I realize that most people probably won't try to remove CCleaner with... itself... but still, if CCleaner can't actually remove itself, the option should not be offered. The only fix I can think of is if CCleaner simply did not show its own entry in its uninstaller list.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

haha...Yeah, you should probably uninstall it from the Control Panel. LMAO

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

When you tried to uninstall CCleaner using CCleaner (feels very strange to write that), did CCleaner automatically exit. If not I could see why it would goof up removing itself as it's running and in-use.

When you tried to uninstall CCleaner using CCleaner (feels very strange to write that), did CCleaner automatically exit. If not I could see why it would goof up removing itself as it's running and in-use.

No, it did not. That is why I am writing it up as a bug.

I knew before I did it that it wouldn't work, and I only did it to prove that point and see how it would respond. I was actually disappointed, cause I kinda hoped it would crash. :(:P

I think that it shouldn't be included in the uninstall list if it can't actually uninstall itself (even if nobody with an IQ higher than 7 would try to delete it with itself anyway).

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I am having trouble installing a new version. I downloaded 1.28 and ran it but it couldnt install because ccleaner.exe could not be added. I tried to remove the older version with add/remove programs and it worked. But when I tried to install it still didnt work. I looked in program files and the ccleaner folder is still there with the ccleaner.exe still in it. I can rename it/chage it but not delete it. Anyone know how I could get rid of it?

• Moderators

I am having trouble installing a new version.

You didn't by any chance rename the downloaded installer to ccleaner.exe did you? If you did rename it to ccleaner.exe rename it to something else, for example; ccsetup128.exe

Also, if you have Norton or Windows Defender you should try turning them off for the download.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)