Driver Wipe

emc@2932

Recently, I was able to wipe the entire C drive clean before returning the PC to the company.   I clicked on "Entire drive (All data will be erased) and Advanced Overwrite (3 passes).  The wipe took quite a while; I was pleased to see that when it was competed, the entire drive was clean. 

I just tried using Drive Wiper on another computer but when I try to access the above actions, nothing happens, C is not highlighted.  Don't understand the concept of "Free Space Only."  Don't know what free space is or why I would want to wipe clean space that's empty.

Your help on how to be able to do the total drive wipe, as I did before, will be very much appreciated.  ec

• Moderators

you've never been able to completely wipe a live windows system drive.

Think about it logically

Ccleaner is doing the wipe

To run ccleaner on Windows you must be in a Windows session.

How can ccleaner wipe not only its own existence (if it runs from the c drive) and the universe in which it resides (Windows Operating System)

Free space is any space on the drive that is not being used by live (non-deleted) files. So any previously deleted will be overwritten.

This is something you would want to do before "returning the PC to the company"

Here would be the Routine I suggest for return assuming you want no data of yours to be given to them (I'm assuming "the company" is giving the PC to another user after you)

1: Reinstall windows as a clean install wiping out all old data (depending on the Windows version this is called multiple different things on the windows installer).

2: Defragment the Windows (Windows defragmenter will work fine, or Defraggler portable if you prefer)

3: download to a memory stick or external drive ccleaner portable

4: Wipe Free space, one secure overwrite with MFT option enabled should be enough to thoroughly make your computer safe for resale/reassignment

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com