CC5.16 finds 2.2GB to clean but never cleans it

CC5.16 on XP gives red warning message that it finds 2.2GB to delete but it never deletes the 2.2GB. I have rebooted a couple of times thinking something was holding onto the 2.2GB but that does not help. I have tried over a couple of days with same result. Perhaps the 2.2GB is caused by AnyBurn? What do I do? Thanks

I don't have a pic at this time. I will get one to add to the discussion tomorrow.  My time as I type this is Tuesday 2016-04-05 13:03 Pacific Time. Thank you your questions. I have used Ccleaner for years with success like clockwork. To be continued.

• Moderators

is the red warning message coming from the monitoring feature?

if you go into CC and hit Analyse, does it show the 2.2gig and the culprit?

recycle bin, restore points, pagefile, hibernation file, would be the main contenders.

what about 'only delete files more than 24 hours old' feature?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Sorry about the delay. Work got hectic. 

I am talking about CCleaner's Monitor feature. Since it activates every 8 hours it is difficult to catch. Is there a way to prod it into action so I can test repeatedly?

Since my previous posts, I caught the Monitor once. I did alt-prtscrn to the alert but alt-prtscrn grabbed the desktop instead of the alert.

I never had the problem before I started playing with AnyBurn. I suspect that it has something about AnyBurn's Copy Disk function. Disk images.

The Analyze function also does not see the 2.2GB.

In my mind it comes down to this question: Do the Monitor and the Cleaner/Analyzer work differently? Is the Monitor seeing something Cleaner/Analyzer does not see? Are Cleaner and Analyzer seeing the true situation and is it the Monitor that is in error?

Again, sorry for my delay. Thanks.

• Moderators

I never had the problem before I started playing with AnyBurn. I suspect that it has something about AnyBurn's Copy Disk function. Disk images.

I'm also on XP and I also use AnyBurn and haven't had any such issues.

Unless you're saving those disc images in a Temp folder, for example:

User Profile Temp folder: (Start > Run > type in %userprofile%\temp then click OK.)

Windows Temp folder: (Start > Run > type in %windir%\temp then click OK.)

Edit:

Could just be a corrupt Recycle Bin, for instance you delete a big file such as a disc image but if the Recycle Bin is corrupt it might not actually empty when using CCleaner if cleaning the Recycle Bin is enabled/ticked in CCleaner. You can rule out a corrupt Recycle Bin by following these instructions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262482-45-corrupted-recycle-windows

Edited by Andavari

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my 5.16.5551 (64-bit) for Windows.

I had an upgrade for Windows 10. CCleaner added an "old Windows installation" option under Advanced. It took several days to clean about 9GB at 35x last week. Today, CCleaner shows more files to be cleaned. After cleaning, it shows no old Windows installation files cleaned. Using Analyze, the files still appear. Looking at detailed results, all the files are still there.

I uninstalled and reinstalled CCleaner but that did not work. I don't want to just Delete to Recycle Bin and empty using CCleaner (it won't allow me to delete all files because some files are still "in use" even though I have no other apps open).

Long ago someone helped me with a corrupted Recycle Bin. Could someone help with cleaning these old Windows Installation files or with CCleaner?

Thanks!

FoS

• Moderators

See here

http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

scroll down to the section which says...

How to Delete the Windows.old Folder to Free Up Space

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com