Why does CCleaner update send you to Filehippo?

razz

I'm sorry if this subject has been covered in the past.  I cannot help myself anymore, I have to ask - why the heck does the update link within CCleaner end up as a download from Filehippo?  

That to me is bizarre.  At least give the option of choosing to download from Piriform.  Very annoying.  I had to create a link to download updates from Piriform, so now when I am notified of an update I open my browser and click the link I created.

Why would Piriform do that?

• Moderators

Well allot of software sends people to a third-party download site, for instance I remember in the past when wanting to download AVG Antivirus Free Edition the download would be from CNET Download.com, although I would never download any antivirus or security software in general from a third-party download site.

• Moderators

I think it depends on which version you are downloading (Free, Full, Slim, Portable), where about in the world you are, and how busy the servers are.

I have never been sent to Filehippo for a Ccleaner update, but have been for Defraggler.

Most software houses have relationships with 'mirror' download sites in case the main site is unavailable (to you) for some reason.

If the main download server is busy or unavailable you will be redirected to the primary mirror download server.

Filehippo is one of the popular ones.

I believe that in some countries/geographic areas you may get directed to the mirror as a first option, because it has a better and/or faster connection than going to the main site (or maybe because the main site does not have a server in that country).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

just to set the record straight, on my PC anyway, it's not CC that takes you to FileHippo, it's the Piriform upgrade page.

clicking the Check for updates link in CC takes you to Piriform Upgrade Offer page, where you then eventually get to the green Download button which then directs you to FileHippo.

however, if you manually go to the Download page; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download or the Builds page; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds, your download will come from Piriform.

weird, inconsistent and slightly sus.  FileHippo has had (still has???) issues in the past of wrapping downloads in crapware or giving misleading downloading links.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

FileHippo has had (still has???) issues in the past of wrapping downloads in crapware or giving misleading downloading links.

Too many download sites have that issue for those who don't use an adblocking extension in their browsers, or at the very least a hosts file like MVPS.

just to set the record straight, on my PC anyway, it's not CC that takes you to FileHippo, it's the Piriform upgrade page.

clicking the Check for updates link in CC takes you to Piriform Upgrade Offer page, where you then eventually get to the green Download button which then directs you to FileHippo.

Thank you mta for detailing the issue - what you said is exactly what I was referring to.

@ Andavari, I agree with you 100%