cleaner doesn't find "run in startmenu" items and many others

andreasm

Although there are lots of entries in the "Start" -> "run" list on my computer, ccleaner doesn't find them!

It also doesn't find entries under:

windows-explorer

- recent documents

advanced

- menu order cache

- window-size

Why?

I'm using Windows XP SP1 . But it also doesn't work on my laptop with Windows xp sp2, so it isn't related to the service pack 2

using version 1.28.277

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

I don't think it should include files that were recovered by chkdsk... deleting those would be considered data loss. Those files are not just frivolous creations of Windows; they are actual file chains recovered from filesystem errors. You are technically supposed to look through them to see what it has recovered (but in the old days, only a technician could have done this). If you are able to read the file header and can determine what kind of file it is, then giving it a proper file extension usually makes the .chk file accessible again. Starting with NTFS, most recovered files maintain their proper names and extensions.

I'm assuming by the fact that your files are *.chk that you are using FAT32. If I'm correct in that assumption, that is a big mistake; you should switch to NTFS as soon as you can to avoid future data loss. If I'm incorrect and you are using NTFS, then good. NTFS maintains a journal of file changes and lost files and lost file chains are a lot more recoverable than when under a FAT32 filesystem.

I also noticed that the latest version doesn't successfully clean Run MRU. I went into Start menu properties > Start Menu tab > Customize > Advanced tab > Clear list and that cleared it.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think it should include files that were recovered by chkdsk... deleting those would be considered data loss. Those files are not just frivolous creations of Windows; they are actual file chains recovered from filesystem errors. You are technically supposed to look through them to see what it has recovered (but in the old days, only a technician could have done this). If you are able to read the file header and can determine what kind of file it is, then giving it a proper file extension usually makes the .chk file accessible again. Starting with NTFS, most recovered files maintain their proper names and extensions.

I'm assuming by the fact that your files are *.chk that you are using FAT32. If I'm correct in that assumption, that is a big mistake; you should switch to NTFS as soon as you can to avoid future data loss. If I'm incorrect and you are using NTFS, then good. NTFS maintains a journal of file changes and lost files and lost file chains are a lot more recoverable than when under a FAT32 filesystem.

I also noticed that the latest version doesn't successfully clean Run MRU. I went into Start menu properties > Start Menu tab > Customize > Advanced tab > Clear list and that cleared it.

It isn't broken. It works for everyone else. My guess is that there is something wrong with your computer.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Way to quote the wrong person. But anyway, andreasm is right; none of those things are cleaned.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Way to quote the wrong person. But anyway, andreasm is right; none of those things are cleaned.

haha..sorry, I was tired. It works the way it's supposed to on my machine. And no one else has reported malfunctions.

1. After running CCleaner "My Recent Docs" are cleared.

2. My "Run" entries are cleared.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Well... the run mru box isnt working in this version.(at least on my pcs)

Although the recent documents was cleaned.

Guess its time to tell mr.g. -_-

Why does it work on my pc?

Well... the run mru box isnt working in this version.(at least on my pcs)

Although the recent documents was cleaned.

Guess its time to tell mr.g. -_-

on my computer, the Start -> Run (MRU) box only clears after a restart, and it's not just with CCleaner that this happens: it does it with other cleaning programs that clear MRU lists, such as MRU-Blaster too. I just assumed it was a quirk of the computer. In fact, I'm sure it happened with my previous computer too.

I'm sure it's not a problem to be worried about?

• Moderators

Well with MRU-Blaster it could be related to having SP2, because when SP2 was released it could no longer clean the Custom Notifications icons (called Tray Notifications Cache in CCleaner) any longer.

Just tested CCleaner and it doesn't clean my Run box either, however for me it doesn't really matter because I had MS Tweak UI config Windows to do it all on it's own when I log off or restart.

on my computer, the Start -> Run (MRU) box only clears after a restart, and it's not just with CCleaner that this happens: it does it with other cleaning programs that clear MRU lists, such as MRU-Blaster too. I just assumed it was a quirk of the computer. In fact, I'm sure it happened with my previous computer too.

I'm sure it's not a problem to be worried about?

I think you're right.

I believe that you need to restart 'explorer.exe' in order for the list to be cleared.

(On my computers anyway)

Job

Well with MRU-Blaster it could be related to having SP2, because when SP2 was released it could no longer clean the Custom Notifications icons (called Tray Notifications Cache in CCleaner) any longer.

Just tested CCleaner and it doesn't clean my Run box either, however for me it doesn't really matter because I had MS Tweak UI config Windows to do it all on it's own when I log off or restart.

out of interest, what is the Tray Notifications Cache (TNC)? I've always had this unchecked. But the entries in Run do clear after a restart, which I do anyway, for the index.dat files wipes.

I don't think the entries in Run clear after a restart if I don't run CC so it's not an automatic MRU purge by the system, and I haven't got the feature in Tweak enabled. Though getting the Recent Programs feature in Start to clear takes clicking "Start" a few times. Is this controlled by the TNC too? What else does this feature clear?

• Moderators

out of interest, what is the Tray Notifications Cache (TNC)?

It's what displays icons as either 'Always Show', 'Always Hide', or 'Hide when inactive' in the Systray next to the clock in WinXP based upon your preferences.

To see what's in yours:

1. Right click the Task Bar then click Properties.

2. Click Customize at the bottom right.

That's what CCleaner can cleanup if you use the Tray Notifications Cache, however you must restart Windows after using that feature.

3. After Windows starts and you use a few programs that use the Systray then open up the Customize Notifications via the instructions in #1 and #2 to customize how icons will display next to the clock.

It's what displays icons as either 'Always Show', 'Always Hide', or 'Hide when inactive' in the Systray next to the clock in WinXP based upon your preferences.

To see what's in yours:

1. Right click the Task Bar then click Properties.

2. Click Customize at the bottom right.

That's what CCleaner can cleanup if you use the Tray Notifications Cache, however you must restart Windows after using that feature.

3. After Windows starts and you use a few programs that use the Systray then open up the Customize Notifications via the instructions in #1 and #2 to customize how icons will display next to the clock.

ah, cheers! I like all my (running program) icons to show, so I'll leave it unchecked!

• Moderators

ah, cheers! I like all my (running program) icons to show, so I'll leave it unchecked!

The default Windows setting is to 'Hide when inactive', also running the TNC will remove the icons of old software you removed ages ago. I guess I'm a stickler on that issue of any remnants remaining after removing software, even if it's only remnants are in Customize Notifications.