Difference between private and public networks explained

hazelnut

• Moderators

We've all seen this where you're asked do you want to make your network discoverable.

Here it explains what this means in easy to understand format

http://www.howtogeek.com/245982/whats-the-difference-between-private-and-public-networks-in-windows/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Sorry, no, that didn't answer it at all. :wacko: Here's my situation. I have a PC that has internet access through ethernet cable. I have absolutely zero other devices that I would want to 'sync' my PC with. I have a printer connected to my PC but I don't think that even matters. 

All I want to know is can I connect to the average worldwide internet if I turn that 'network discovery' setting off? I'll put it another way...do a lot of regular websites Depend on whether I have that setting on or off? Or does it have to do more with accessing other computers on a shared network?

Why is life difficult?

Make it all better, Hazelnut! :lol:

Funny, I did turn it off, restarted my PC, and after it rebooted it asked me if I really wanted to keep my 'network discovery' option 'off'. Like a frightened rabbit I chose to turn it back on. Just because.

But now that I know how to access it again, I think I'll turn it off again.

Another thing...I bet that is the service Win10 needs in order to connect PCs with Microsoft Online, or whatever that service is called, which I have no desire to connect to. (Used to be called Windows Live.)

Thanks again Hazelnut. ;)