Macrium Reflect restore via USB Flash Drive

Tasgandy

Once again Macrium Reflect has saved me. The short story version is that a situation created by yours truly, saw me have to perform a "Restore" earlier this morning. Reaching for my 8.0 gig USB stick (which replaced my restore CD - which I still retain just in case), I commenced the restore operation. 

This time I decided to copy down some specific information for those who may be interested i.e. size and time taken.

My PC is a desktop unit, i5 cpu, 8.0gig RAM 3 HD's with Windows 10 - 64 bit - drive C is a 120gig Samsung EVO SSD - standard upgrade from 8.1.1 to Win 10 - I have Macrium Reflect (free version) perform a "Full" backup of drive "C" daily at 4.00pm - Windows explorer shows me that the last daily backup .mrimg file size  is 40,740,967 KB.

Once booting from my USB flash drive and choosing which backup file to use for my restore from the Macrium Reflect menu I proceeded as directed.  

By the time I had made my coffee and got back to the PC I caught the Macrium Reflect dialogue box whilst it was performing TRIM which read the following:

1) System Restored - 257.4MB/350.00MB

2) System Apps © 48.23gig/111.01gig

3) Performing TRIM 

Now the Restore has completed the reported time taken to perform the restore was only 12 minutes & 49 seconds.

Thank you once again Macrium Reflect.  :D 

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

I use Macrium myself Tas as do quite a few others here.

I think a lot of people are nervous about using an imaging software as they think it will be complicated.

It isn't, most imaging apps 'talk' you through making the backup, and the restore is just as easy.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

13 minutes from disaster to glory - you got to be happy with that.

and at 13 minutes for a full restore, and about half that for the original backup image to be taken, you have to ask yourself, why wouldn't you do that as part of your backup regime?

and imagine if everyone did, there would hardly be a need for recovery software.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks to both edit: all 3 of you.  Good news indeed.  12:49 for a full backup.  Wow.

I am one of those who is nervous about using imaging software, been putting it off for a long time.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

completely agree @login123, in fact I was only 'converted'  (Hallelujah Brother) after hearing about Macrium on this forum.

it's now another part of my backup process.

my previous exposure to imaging was Norton's Ghost about 10 years ago, and comparing it to Macrium is like comparing chalk to cheese.

I don't know if imaging software has come a long way or if Ghost was just a dog (maybe both) but it's so quick to take an image with Macrium.

Well, more on the topic.  My only experience is with an old version of Acronis. 

It works very well, and fairly quickly, for win xp.  But some of the installation options were are not intuitive. 

Example: 

I selected the option to use Acronis Startup & Recovery Manager which allows to boot straight into a recovery mode. 

Removing ASRM was difficult, I had to replace the MBR. Others had the same problem. 

May have been a software bug, or a PBCAK, but it was a pain in the neck. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

PBCAK???

had to look that one up.

I've heard of the phrase but never seen it as an acronym.

(I prefer PICNIC myself)

(I prefer PICNIC myself)

:lol:  "ASRM, MBR, PBCAK, PICNIC"  LOL. 

• Moderators

I always find it fascinating how fast Macrium Reflect is, it creates a full drive C: backup of my system to another internal hard disk in 4 minutes (when the faster beginning area of the hard disk has available space), and about 5-6 minutes (when the hard disk only has available space in the slower near the end areas).

Restoration is under 40 minutes - probably must less time than that because I've never actually timed it since when I come back it's always done and successful.

• Moderators

I finally got around to creating a Macrium Reflect full backup of my mother's Win10 Dell laptop last night.

Macrium had something in it to backup everything needed for the operating system. I however only chose drive C:\. On a Win10 system is it alright to only backup drive C:\, or do I actually have to backup all of those other factory created partitions?

Andavari I originally had the same question so I tested it on my test PC which was a Win 10 32 bit Test box, Did this when Win 10 first arrived and prior to running on my main box. I did it both ways, drive C only at first, then with all the partitions that Win 10 creates. I aslo did a restore of both, , honestly I'm not really sure of the the different final result, I could not or did not experience any issues. However the time between both backup/restore exercises  was only 2 days and all I did was some basic internet work, TV capture/edit & conversion. Did not run into a problem. I have since blown that OS  away to mess with other OS's.

So when it came to my so-called "mission critical" box I elected to follow the Macrium Reflect default backup regime and include all of the 3 partitions created by Win 10.

The only step I missed mentioning in my post the other day was that I did do a "verify" prior to the restore. I even backup my test box once a week as data storage I maintain is very cost effective.    

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

• Moderators

I only back up the partitions neccessary to backup and restore  Windows (one of the Macrium options, cannot remember exact wording)

EDIT...

Option 2 here

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer%2C+drive+or+partitions

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Screen grab showing 3 partitions selected.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

• Moderators

I'll backup all of those in the screenshot, which will be happening soon in about an hour or so.

I had to cleanup the computer allot "spyware-ish" cookies. After running CCleaner just once it makes it boot significantly faster, and it's also usable faster. Had to manually install the MVPS hosts file since their installer fails, which was verified when I checked with HostsExpert (sadly the developer website is gone, but I have HostsExpert archived).