Skype Is Ditching Its Smart TV Apps.

DennisD

• Moderators

Anyone new to smart TV's and thinking of buying a dedicated TV Web Cam to run with the Skype app, then don't waste your money.

http://buzznews.online/skype-is-ditching-its-smart-tv-apps-because-people-prefer-mobile-even-in-the-living-room-tech-times/

I'm particularly p****d about this as the Samsung web cam cost over £60 and appears to be impossible to use with anything else but a TV. If anyone knows different please let me know.

I have to say it was a great system being able to see and talk with your family on a large screen TV in High Definition and with fluid movement (compared to my PC).

Ah well.  (Big sigh).

• Moderators

This one hazel ...

VG-STC3000:

I've been looking around for some kind of universal/generic type driver which may kick it into action but with no luck.

I'm grabbing at straws as it's configured for Samsung TV's only. Of course no other webcam will work with their TV's.

It does light up when stuck into my desktops USB port, but that's it.

• Moderators

Maybe start an online petition for Samsung to directly support it.

A petition for them to buy the camera back would be good, but failing that, an option to use the camera to record to a USB drive would be useful. I can see my Granddaughter dancing her legs off in front of herself on the TV.

Any other suggestions for it's use I can guarantee have already crossed my mind.   :ph34r: 

Having a read around Dennis it looks like it will only work with the TV :(

Yep, that's all I could find as well hazel, but I appreciate the effort.

• 2 weeks later...