Microsoft Edge skipped after I run CCleaner Pro

Microsoft Edge keep being skipped after I run the CCleaner Pro...Why? When I try to report it to CCleaner I get this:Please enter the details of your request. A member of our support staff will respond as soon as possible? However, the submit button is grayed out.

Guest Steve Piriform

Hi randbjams,

I've emailed you directly about this - to the email attached to your forum account :)

Cheers, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me after running the portable version of CCleaner.  It happened after getting the following message and clicking "Do not show me this message again":

Microsoft Edge Cache Database and Internet Explorer needs to be closed to clean the Internet Cache.

Do you want CCleaner to close Microsoft Edge Cache Database and Internet Explorer?

After dismissing this message with "Do not show me this message again" checked, Microsoft Edge cleaning is always skipped with no way to re-enable.  All Microsoft Edge boxes were checked in the applications to clean list and "Hide warning messages" was unchecked in the options.  Toggling these on and off did not reset the behavior.

Ultimately, to get it working again I took the following steps:

1.)  I went into the directory where CCleaner portable is installed

2.)  Found the file named "ccleaner" which is of type "Configuration settings"

3.)  Opened the file with notepad

4.)  Modified the following lines from False to True:  

ShowWebCacheCleanWarning=False 

ShowCleanWarning=False

5.)  Save the file and close

I too am having the same problem as randbjams and pennkidder.  I do not use MS Edge but yet it is still accumulating files that now CCleaner won't clean.  This is the 8th or 9th computer I have put CCleaner.  I am currently testing out CCleaner Pro to see if I would like to purchase it.  Right now, I won't be purchasing the Pro if it won't even clean out all the files I want.

So now, I ask the same question as pennkidder...Can you please help me out here?

Thank you.

• Moderators

If you have windows 10 then it uses Edge even if you don't. Edge, as with internet explorer before it, is integrated into the WebView component of Windows, this means that any software that makes use (internally or to reach the web) of this way to make its interface graphically usable (such as most, if not all, windowsUI/appstore apps, MS Outlook, most of the built-in microsoft apps and the windows interface itself) will accumulate trash within the Edge datafiles. All of these such applications must be exited for any external cleaning (such as ccleaner) to be achieved.

That said, now that edge will be (soon) allowing plugins maybe this issue could become less of a hassle.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

On Win10 I noticed soon after startup or restart the Edge cleaning is unavailable in CCleaner.

What I did was tick the box in the CCleaner popup telling it to no longer notify me of the inability to clean Edge because sometimes it will clean it with no issue, but when it can't clean it I don't need it warning me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Still no update only solution is what I have done...I have uninstalled CC and reinstalled version 5.13 64bit..which now deletes Edge files..

Don't tick the warning box...about edge, just click yes and all the files will be deleted...

Just until it gets sorted...

Len