v5.15.5513 painfully slow

judy12205

I just downloaded CCleaner v. 5.15513 and attempted to run it. I've been using the free version for years with no problem...and it never was as sluggish as it is now. I rebooted my computer, redownloaded the program in the event something went wrong the first time...and I don't know what to try next. My default browser is Firefox, I'm using Windows 8.1...and what else do you need to know?

Thanks in advance...

Judy

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum Judy.

is there a particular file/stage it stalls at?

when was the last time you run CC, before this issue?

does it also run slow if used with the PC in Safe Mode?

although slow, have you let it run to completion?

and for thoroughness, what is your AV software?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 month later...

Just checked, using latest version on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 iNTEL CORE I7-2670QM CPU @2.20GHz, 6.0GB RAM, intel HD graphics family

I use firefox ONLY, have never used IE since buying the computer 4 years ago.  I have run CCleaner for years and recommended it to many clients.  I run it at least once a day, often more.   It's now taking over 60 seconds, and where it hangs is "IE cookies".  If I turn that off, it's fast.  If it's on, and I haven't run it for several hours, it takes FOR EVER.  I'm not running a huge load on here, I shut off everything before running Ccleaner.  Mostly I'm using old Microsoft office and new firefox, with updated java and adobe plugins.

• Moderators

Old Microsoft Office is using ie

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So what?  The older versions of Ccleaner on this machine didn't HANG on IE cookies.  Why should the newer ones?

because ie switched from pure file to partial database format for its junk

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Even though you state you don't use IE,  programs on your computer are.

You could try going into IE's cleaning section and try to delete the Cookies from within IE itself and see if doing that makes CCleaner any faster.

Note that IE's Index.dat file(s) can become corrupt, so perhaps running ChkDsk /F may help, and/or perhaps using a boot disc like BartPE may help where you can manually delete IE's Index.dat file(s) which is useful if they're corrupt.

• 3 weeks later...

That is not the problem.  I start it right after I boot up, and I cleaned right before I shut down.  It hangs at 5% on "IE cookies", so I cancel.  Then UNCHECK IE cookies, then run, and it is done quickly.  Then run again, just to be sure everything gone, "0 bytes removed".  THEN, I RECHECK IE cookies and run.  It takes 82 seconds, and deletes NOTHING.  "0 bytes removed".  I have a screen shot to prove it!  Something is HANGING the program.

• Moderators

That is not the problem.  I start it right after I boot up, and I cleaned right before I shut down.  It hangs at 5% on "IE cookies", so I cancel.  Then UNCHECK IE cookies, then run, and it is done quickly.  Then run again, just to be sure everything gone, "0 bytes removed".  THEN, I RECHECK IE cookies and run.  It takes 82 seconds, and deletes NOTHING.  "0 bytes removed".  I have a screen shot to prove it!  Something is HANGING the program.

Please share the screenshot (instead of just exclaiming about it :lol:)

Also please try this

- right click internet cookies

-choose analyze

-double click the results to get the details

-either see if you notice any cookies that seem odd and/or present the results to us for further looking.