Windows 10 x64 - BSOD

laurin1

I installed this today and when suddenly my machine crashed...hard. Like I was sure it was loss of a hard drive, video card, something. I finally got it back up long enough to see what was going on and the only thing I could find is sometimes, right before it crashed, I would get a close programs due to low memory and the only thing listed was CCleaner. I've had updated to the new version (5.15, via Chocolatey https://chocolatey.org/packages/ccleaner) today. I uninstalled CCleaner, no more crashing.

I was getting a BSOD message of "System_Service_Exception win32kbase.sys".

Since I posted this on Facebook, I've had one other person tell me that after running CCleaner on Windows 10, they had to completely reinstall Windows. Luckily, removing CCleaner solved my problem (I did runn sfc /scannow).

I'm a professional and all Chocolatey does is install the application, using the native installer, with a PowerShell script. No way that it could cause this issue - this is some kind of serious memory leak. Bad enough, that on 2 occasions last night my machine powered off - not a reboot, but shut all the way down completely.

This is also not the first time for to occur in CC's history: http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=33996

• Moderators

Chocolatey sounds like it's breaking piriform's license. Please ONLY download via official website or authorized dealers (such as file hippo)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Chocolatey sounds like it's breaking piriform's license. Please ONLY download via official website or authorized dealers (such as file hippo)

It does sound like Chocolatey may be violating distribution rights, but once you are familiar with Chocolatey and the community packages on Chocolatey dot org, you realize that is not the case. In reality it is just using the downloads from the official location (as specified earlier by hazelnut). See  https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/wiki/PackageTriageProcess#are-you-a-software-vendor for more information about how Chocolatey works with regard to distribution.

It just downloads and installs silently from the official location - see the package at https://chocolatey.org/packages/ccleaner :

43e73d62-daf0-11e5-86aa-325f82dc07b0.png

• Moderators

@ferventcoder

That download is modified to prevent the install of Chrome.

@laurin1

Lots of us on here use Ccleaner on Windows 10 without any problem (I am one of them)

Perhaps consider installing BlueScreenViewer or Who Crashed to see what they say caused it.

My money would be graphics drivers as it's Windows 10 which seems to have one or two problems with them.

eg.....

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=45495

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It does sound like Chocolatey may be violating distribution rights, but once you are familiar with Chocolatey and the community packages on Chocolatey dot org, you realize that is not the case. In reality it is just using the downloads from the official location (as specified earlier by hazelnut). See   more information about how Chocolatey works with regard to distribution.

It just downloads and installs silently from the official location - see the package at https://chocolatey.org/packages/ccleaner :

it is against the license to download without arriving on the piriform website (except for the other officially sanctioned websites). Direct download of the software is not allowed (and can easily end up causing you trouble). The developers have been informed of choclatey's infraction, however I believe this is not related to your issue so once you have confirmed the ccleaner that is downloaded from piriform's website (by you, not 3rd party software) still causes your issue we can actually work on that.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

My money would be graphics drivers as it's Windows 10 which seems to have one or two problems with them.

Sure, there could be a conflict, but I CCleaner is definitely what was crashing it, as the machine would not stay up for 5 minutes until I removed it and FYI, I was not actually using CCleaner, that's just from the part that loads with the System Tray. 

I tried using WinDbg, but it says the memory.dmp file is corrupt now - after one crash, it basically gave me the same results (something like "Probably caused by win32kbase.sys).

It's too risky. I'm not trying it again. Corrupted a bunch of system files and wouldn't even boot at times. I just wanted report the problem, but unless someone reports it is found and fixed, I won't use it. I have never seen a non-hardware related crash this bad before. I just know I was losing a hard drive or power supply maybe even motherboard (video flickering, even a strange crackling noise). 

it is against the license to download without arriving on the piriform website (except for the other officially sanctioned websites). Direct download of the software is not allowed (and can easily end up causing you trouble). The developers have been informed of choclatey's infraction, however I believe this is not related to your issue so once you have confirmed the ccleaner that is downloaded from piriform's website (by you, not 3rd party software) still causes your issue we can actually work on that.

Yea, thanks, but no thanks.

So here is the license - http://www.piriform.com/legal/software-license/ccleaner. I've read over it now twice and I can't find what you reference.

I would love to talk to the developers as well if we need an official sanction and how we can get that. 

• Moderators

It's in the first section, and the developers tend not to interact with the forum except to learn more about a bug

From the license

AND ANY RESALE OR FURTHER DISTRIBUTION OF THE SOFTWARE, OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY THIS AGREEMENT, CONSTITUTES A BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY VIOLATE APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.

And the 2nd section

- You may NOT resell, charge for, sub-license, rent, lease, loan or distribute the Product without our prior written consent. We reserve the right to withdraw any such consent (or part thereof) for any reason and without notice and to demand that you immediately cease any activity in respect of which permission is withdrawn.

• Moderators

Sure, there could be a conflict, but I CCleaner is definitely what was crashing it, as the machine would not stay up for 5 minutes until I removed it and FYI, I was not actually using CCleaner, that's just from the part that loads with the System Tray. 

I tried using WinDbg, but it says the memory.dmp file is corrupt now - after one crash, it basically gave me the same results (something like "Probably caused by win32kbase.sys).

It's too risky. I'm not trying it again. Corrupted a bunch of system files and wouldn't even boot at times. I just wanted report the problem, but unless someone reports it is found and fixed, I won't use it. I have never seen a non-hardware related crash this bad before. I just know I was losing a hard drive or power supply maybe even motherboard (video flickering, even a strange crackling noise). 

laurin1 did you have monitoring turned on in Ccleaner?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It's in the first section, and the developers tend not to interact with the forum except to learn more about a bug

From the license

And the 2nd section

"AND ANY RESALE OR FURTHER DISTRIBUTION OF THE SOFTWARE, OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY THIS AGREEMENT, CONSTITUTES A BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY VIOLATE APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS."

"- You may NOT resell, charge for, sub-license, rent, lease, loan or distribute the Product without our prior written consent. We reserve the right to withdraw any such consent (or part thereof) for any reason and without notice and to demand that you immediately cease any activity in respect of which permission is withdrawn."

The package script comes to the official distribution point to download the software. This is technically no different than what a human would do. 

Legally speaking, the Chocolatey package for CCleaner is not reselling, charging, sub-licensing, renting, leasing, loaning and is not distributing the software. That means legally there is no violation of any distribution agreement because the package doesn't distribute any software, it only has a script that knows how to download and silently install the software. 

• Moderators

has someone tried to install CC from Piriform's Builds page (bypassing Choco) and seeing if the problem re-occurs?

as @hazelnut has stated, there are a lot of Win10 CC users but (thus far) only 1 with this serious error.

@laurin1,

how did you run CC?

using the default settings?, with winapp2.ini or any other enhancement?, and INCLUDEs?, do you run the reg cleaner?

personally, as a test, I'd run your next try of CC with the PC in Safe Mode, but considering your past bad experiences, I doubt you'll want to now.

which is a pity, since at the moment, this seems to only effect your setup, so sadly makes you the best (only) avenue for testing this problem.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I had run the cleaner once before, for temp files only, but I had never run the registry cleanup and at the time of this happening, the only thing running was the System Tray icon (the monitor?).

But you're right, the fact that it crashed so hard is too dangerous. Next time, I might lose the OS altogether. I can live without the tool.