Blue screen - Windows not loading

TerryB

After running Ccleaner to remove temp files etc (Not registry clean even) Windows 10 would not start. Something to do with system_critical_files. Windows tried to repair itself but couldn't.

I had to reimage my PC.

As an experiment, after the PC had been working for a couple of days I had another go.

And the samething happened.

Straight after I ran Ccleaner I could not boot.

Each time the only way that I could fix the problem was to let Windows fail to load and take me to the  "repair-advance options- load a different operating system" menu to boot into a recovery image on a different partition. None of the other options worked.

• Moderators

Terry yours is the first report like this that we have had.

Can you tell us some details about your system, did you partition it any anyway, what security software you have on, and anything else that you can think of that may give some clues.

Is Ccleaner set at default settings?

Do you dual boot?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It's Win10 Home (or whatever the latest standard non-pro version is  called these days.)

It was an update from Win 7.

I have four partitions. C: with Windows, a Data partition, a backups partition and a software partition. But CCleaner was installed to C:

I use Avira AV software. Free Version.

Though I do not dual boot the OS in the normal way of things I do have Macrium Reflect set as an alternative boot mode if I need to boot to a recovery image. I assume that this uses the boot loader in the same way as dual booting would.

It did seem as if Ccleaner has been removing a file that Windows boot loader wanted to see. Because it crashed right at the start, before the screen with the Windows and Macrium options appeared.

I haven't made any changes to Ccleaner's settings.

Before each of the crashes I had only used it to clean up temp files etc. each time. Not for registry cleaning or start-up control.

It did have a lot of log files in the clean list, from Office 2010. I'd not seen that with previous Ccleaner versions as far as I can recall.

It's been working fine in previous versions, since Win 10 first came out as an update. (And previously)

(BTW very useful for ditching the "apps" that Win 10 foists on users. I've been recommending it in forums for that reason).

• Moderators

and do you run CC with any INCLUDE's, winapp2.ini or other enhancements (that shall not be named)?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I have the Macrium boot loader on Win 10 and have no issues after running Ccleaner.

Are you using the latest Ccleaner build 5.14 which was released this week?

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Can you try a clean install of Ccleaner 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

That's all already done. The problem occurred after the latest Ccleaner update. After the first reimage I uninstalled Ccleaner. 

I only reinstalled it when I was ready to have another go. And that was installed clean.

And it blocked the boot again, immediately on the first reboot. So it's a 100% correspondence. PC was working fine for a couple of days between reimaging and installing then running CCleaner. It failed to boot immediately after installing and using Ccleaner. I had made no other changes, since this was a deliberate test.

I've been using Ccleaner for years. This is the only version I've had any issue with. I'd love to be able to use it again.Particularly if Microsoft decide to force some of their apps back on to the system. But do not wish to risk doing a third reimaging until there is a solution. One day a reimage is going to fail and I don't wish to hasten that event.