Windows Update cleanup.

spetho2001

Can anyone tell me if there is an option to check off in the free version of CCleaner that cleans up after Windows Updates are installed. I know there is something in the d*** Cleanup Utility in Windows but I like to use CCleaner.

Thank you,

TomS

- In the folder mentioned above Windows places the Original updates files before installing those updates. and these files aren't removed after an Update.

- Windows Update archives all old system files in the (infamous) "C:\Windows\Winsxs\" folder. If you want to reduce the size of that folder then you MUST use the Windows "disk clean Up" tool. CCleaner can't do that.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

there is a hugh difference between windows-update-cleaning and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads

datentrgerberee8yq46hfmp.jpg

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

I believe Microsoft just started doing it with the disk utility clean up?

If that's the case (and I wouldn't know because I'm on old WinXP) that sounds like the safest route. It isn't just a matter of deleting physical files, there can also be references in the registry.

- Since the end of 2014 Microsoft has upgraded the "Disk Clean Up" tool with extra functionality that can reduce the size of the "c:\Windows\Winsxs\.......... " folder (on my Win 7 system it has the size of some 12 GBs (ouch !!!)) where A LOT OF old system files are archived. It's available in - at least - Win 7 and newer. It isn't available in Vista and XP (XP has also that mysterious "winsxs" (sub)folder)).

http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

- Some files seem to be located in the "C:\Windows\syswow64" and/or "C:\windows\system32\" folder but are actually located in that mysterious "C:\Windows\Winsxs" folder.

- @Trium: See my previous answers.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

- Some files seem to be located in the "C:\Windows\syswow64" and/or "C:\windows\system32\" folder but are actually located in that mysterious "C:\Windows\Winsxs" folder.

Yes XP has that folder too, mine is at 86.8 MB - and I'm glad it's light years away from that 12 GB you've stated yours is.

Definitely not something to mess with casually or with an unofficial tool if the outcome is unknown (like having to fully restore Windows).