Will CCleaner remove filenames from MFT on a SSD

rjo98

Have a SSD, and when I run Recuva it shows a ton of files, but I thought with a SSD with TRIM that files couldn't be recovered anyway?  I know Recuva just reads the MFT, but is there a way to use CCleaner on a SSD to eliminate the old file names from the MFT, for security's sake.

I'm more curious in the how then worried about actually doing it, nobody wants the names of my old spreadsheets :D , but security stuff like that peaks my interests.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

• Moderators

You can overwrite the names in the MFT by checking the Wipe MFT Free Space box in CC Options/Settings, along with selecting the disk of course. Drive Wiper also runs a Wipe MFT before wiping free space. Some users cancel the WFS after the wipe MFT component has run to achieve what you are requesting without the full wipe free space.

Recuva can't remove the names from the MFT as there is no safe way to modify the MFT contents. CC creates enough small files with duff names to fill the empty records in the MFT, and then deletes them.

This process is the same on an HDD as an SSD. On an HDD most of the clusters of the MFT will be rewritten in place. On an SSD the MFT's pages will be rewritten onto fresh pages, so the task does use up some of the SSD's life, albeit a very tiny proportion.

Thanks Augeas.  So there's no real way, even with the command line, to have it JUST do the Wipe MFT part then stop?  I'm not sure how long that would take on a SSD, but I'm afraid I wouldn't catch it in time and it starts unnecessarily doing the WFS part.