Predicament

kobrakommander56

OK so i got a 7800gt, and right now im gonna be coming into 30 hundred bucks, so I'm thinking should i just go for the 7800gt for sli, or go for the 7900gt, get rid of the 7800 gt, sell it or Idk and eventually buy another 7900 for sli. Or just get the otehr 7800 gt so i can run it in sli, from the beginning.

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

• Moderators

Long time no see kobra. :D

To be honest I wouldnt do either. You have a good card right now and SLI hasen't truely been worked out to its full potential. I would wait untill vista and see exactly whats going to happen.

But then again if you have to buy now I would probably go for the second 7800 for SLI just because you get instant satisfaction. :D

Hmm... maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see all that much difference between the 7800 and the 7900. Slightly faster core and slightly faster RAM, no more pipelines, no more feature support (although once again, I may have missed something).

If you really want SLI now, I would just get another 7800. I personally almost never resell comp parts, because they always depreciate, so it really isn't worth it. Just my opinion.

But like rridgely said, Vista and newer games may end up requiring support for some new shader spec or something that both cards don't support, so I personally would wait and see what happens.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I think that the 7800 GT is a very good graphics card and I think you dont need run two 7800 GT in SLI or run 7900 GT.

Buy cheeseburgers instead.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Hmm... maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see all that much difference between the 7800 and the 7900. Slightly faster core and slightly faster RAM, no more pipelines, no more feature support (although once again, I may have missed something).

The 7900 is 90nm (7800s are 110nm) as well as having higher clocks. Looking at the benchmarks, the 7900GTX is a pretty significant improvement over the 7800GTX 512 for a non-next-gen part.

The 7900 is 90nm (7800s are 110nm) as well as having higher clocks. Looking at the benchmarks, the 7900GTX is a pretty significant improvement over the 7800GTX 512 for a non-next-gen part.

Oh, I see. I thought the 7800 was 90nm too! Thanks for the info, Rishi. :)

Still, if I was gonna get SLI, I wouldn't ditch my already excellent 7800 for a 7900. Whenever I upgrade, I usually wait until several generations of a product has passed before I get one. I don't see much sense in upgrading graphics and other hardware every month. Too expensive and not enough performance boost to make it worthwhile.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!