Monitor

mps69_1999

I'll start by saying I'm a complete prat, there it's out the way and I know it.

Here's my problem. I've just reformatted my boot drive, the PC now boots up nice and quick again....gawd it's good to get rid of some of the junk I had installed.

Everything works fine apart from my monitor. When I scroll I get this strange ripple effect as I scroll. Now this is the part where I've been a prat, I forget to take a note of the VGA drivers. I've tried an auto update to little success.

Has anyone ever had this problem and how did you solve it?

You would think after all the times I'd done this I would have remembered something basic like the drivers.....DUH!!

Anyway thanks for any advice

mps

I'll start by saying I'm a complete prat, there it's out the way and I know it.

Here's my problem. I've just reformatted my boot drive, the PC now boots up nice and quick again....gawd it's good to get rid of some of the junk I had installed.

Everything works fine apart from my monitor. When I scroll I get this strange ripple effect as I scroll. Now this is the part where I've been a prat, I forget to take a note of the VGA drivers. I've tried an auto update to little success.

Has anyone ever had this problem and how did you solve it?

You would think after all the times I'd done this I would have remembered something basic like the drivers.....DUH!!

Anyway thanks for any advice

mps

You are correct. It is your video drivers. First, try restarting Windows. Oftentimes after a clean install of WinXP, the video drivers still aren't finalized. If you still have the effect after restarting, go to the manufacturer's website and get drivers that way. Does your video card have an ATI or Nvidia chip? You can get drivers packages/control panels here:

ATI

Nvidia

Also, make sure you have your color set to 32-bit, and that you have a screen resolution of 800 x 600 or higher (preferrably higher).

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

The video drivers WinXP uses from the get-go must be a generic play-it-safe driver because I notice some weirdness whenever I do a clean install of new video drivers from my ATI display card, e.g.; beyond slow video responses which actually slowdown everything.