Major Issues with Ccleaner

I know that this has been mentioned before but I want to mention something else. With the new hotfix cleaner my Interent gets disconnected. Also, I can't change my firewall settings and SP2 won't uninstall. Also,system restore does not work. This is really irratating. I think Im going to wait a while before I use it......

IPB Image

I know that this has been mentioned before but I want to mention something else. With the new hotfix cleaner my Interent gets disconnected. Also, I can't change my firewall settings and SP2 won't uninstall. Also,system restore does not work. This is really irratating. I think Im going to wait a while before I use it......

I agree Ccleaner removing the $hf_mig$ folder is a serious issue, I spoke to Microsoft about that last week and their advise was no one should use Ccleaner and anyone who has it installed should remove it from the pc and use Disk Cleanup with it targeting genuine Microsoft files which could cause damage serious enough to require a repair install of Windows as the information in the hotfix folders is also mapped into alot of other area's of the system. They did say they thought XP was tolerant and would probably get by without the files and the $hf_mig$ folder is re-created after a reboot but they couldnt be sure without looking into it as it was the first time they had heard of a third party tool targeting their files. They also didnt understand why a cleaner would want to remove the hotfix uninstallers as there's always a chance a hotfix could cause conflicts or other problems on some systems and without the unistallers the user cannot remove them. I'm sure the author is aware that we all think its a serious mistake and personally Im suprised Ccleaner wasnt dropped from the download page and that feature removed when it was first brought to their attention.

Regarding your other points. What part of the firewall can you not change ? I dont think removing the hotfixes will effect your Internet connection but if you can explain more about that it may be another option in Ccleaner thats causing it, SP2 cannot be uninstalled unless this file exists :

c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

What part of System restore doesnt work ?

If you goto start and run then copy and paste this:

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press OK, does this open the system restore options screen ?

Andy

Hey grabacontroller,

Haven't seen you in a while. The 'hotfix uninstaller" option has been broken for a while now. MrG fixed fo the next version which will be out in less than a week.

See my Sig? ;)

One more thing. You fix your computer from the hotfix uninstaller by choosing a restore point that exists from the time before you used that option.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Ok, what happens is that the system can't restore it self into half of the system restore. I don't know what file it is. Also, its the windows firewall, you can't enable it, it gives me an error message that you don't have privilages to changee it or something like that. Also, I don't know whats causing it other than ccleaner. When my internet gets disconneceted I can't access my linksys router by going to my ip address and uninstalling sp2 is a no no. It said that it was partially connected. Haven't ran ccleaner in a while and the latest update did some damage. When I reinstalled Windows my Internet connection was established immediately. I had no problems as of now thanks no running it. My internet is pefect right now. Also, I could do a backup of the registry that would be good but you can't backup your stuff that it deletes other than your registry. How about a file backup for ccleaner?

IPB Image

...I spoke to Microsoft about that last week and their advise was no one should use Ccleaner and anyone who has it installed should remove it from the pc and use Disk Cleanup...

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Andy, that is the funniest thing I have heard all day! Seriously, would you guys start recording your conversations with MS and emailing them to me so that my morale can go up about a dozen or so points?!

And I suppose if you were to find a small bug in OpenOffice, MS would naturally recommend immediately removing it from your system and purchasing a copy of MS Office instead, right?! Oh my goodness, that is too funny! MS kills me, seriously!

Just uncheck the 'Hotfix Uninstallers' box; no need to uninstall CCleaner. And in a few days, v1.28 will be out, which will remedy the problem. Of course, I'm sure MS will still consider Disk Cleanup the definitive file removing utility... roflcopter, lollerskates!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Ok, what happens is that the system can't restore it self into half of the system restore. I don't know what file it is. Also, its the windows firewall, you can't enable it, it gives me an error message that you don't have privilages to changee it or something like that. Also, I don't know whats causing it other than ccleaner. When my internet gets disconneceted I can't access my linksys router by going to my ip address and uninstalling sp2 is a no no. It said that it was partially connected. Haven't ran ccleaner in a while and the latest update did some damage. When I reinstalled Windows my Internet connection was established immediately. I had no problems as of now thanks no running it. My internet is pefect right now. Also, I could do a backup of the registry that would be good but you can't backup your stuff that it deletes other than your registry. How about a file backup for ccleaner?

When did this begin happening? You need to give me a lot more information than that to convince me that the problem is CCleaner. Sounds like a simple permission problem to me. Either your permissions are screwy, or you don't have administrator access.

If you are the administrator then click on DAF medium in my sig & fix the permissions. Reboot after fixing.

And since you think that it's CCleaner, maybe you should uncheck everything in CCleaner that says Files, so that you don't have to worry about it.

Hope this helps! :)

Light, which is just Dial-a-fix, and can just do services tweaks and DLL registrations. People who have XP Pro can use Repair Permissions. People who have XP Home must get Medium.

Medium, which is Dial-a-fix plus the secedit package; this allows people who have XP Home to use Repair Permissions.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi lokoike :)

I must admit I thought it was abit extreme but I cannot blame them for saying that, Usually the only files that will target Microsoft folders and delete them is malware so I appreciate their view on this, If the Author would like the contact address of the person I spoke to Id be happy to pass it on. No program should interfere with Microsoft's files and if they do they should make sure what they are removing is legit, This isnt and removing nearly 200mb of dll, exe and inf files and the complete $hf_mig$ folder isnt a good thing so Its suprising it hasnt already been fixed, I just mentioned the conversation as I was speaking to them about an unrelated matter connected to malware using text files to get on the system then running them as executables so thought Id get their view about removing the $hf_mig$ folder and any potential problems that may arise for people who had. I wouldn't advise anyone to remove Ccleaner once its on the pc as its a useful tool but there is plenty of programs that offer the same temp file removal feature without the potential to cause damage but its not appropriate to promote them on here.

If the Author is releasing an update later in the week to fix the issue then its not a problem for new users but in the same sense its not a solution for the users who have already removed that thinking they were just removing temp files or files that were not needed. I think this may damage Ccleaner's reputation because if it can make a mistake like this it can be making mistakes in other area's such as the issues scanning but I hope that will not be the case. Personally I like the program except for the inclusion of Yahoo's toolbar in the standard version but I do not use it on the Advanced setting or use the issues feature so It works well for me to just remove temp files and cookies before I shut the pc down each day.

When did this begin happening? You need to give me a lot more information than that to convince me that the problem is CCleaner. Sounds like a simple permission problem to me. Either your permissions are screwy, or you don't have administrator access.

If you are the administrator then click on DAF medium in my sig & fix the permissions. Reboot after fixing.

And since you think that it's CCleaner, maybe you should uncheck everything in CCleaner that says Files, so that you don't have to worry about it.

Hope this helps! :)

Light, which is just Dial-a-fix, and can just do services tweaks and DLL registrations. People who have XP Pro can use Repair Permissions. People who have XP Home must get Medium.

Medium, which is Dial-a-fix plus the secedit package; this allows people who have XP Home to use Repair Permissions.

PS - I PM'd you with instructions on using DAF. :)