registry items

sonsie

There's not a lot to choose from in Omaha as far as repairs/techs.

Omaha! I have some friends in Omaha, and I swear that people there are just the nicest people that you will ever meet. :D

Everything looked good on mine (I think) except for video and monitor - and that reminds me...I was able to run the chkdsk /r last night, and then did defrag. Since then I've been getting plug and play errors on system log, which is one of the first errors I got a couple weeks ago.

What does the error say? Is the plug and play turned off, or is it started?

Last question...what on earth could be causing my hardware to go bad??!! Ideas? And why doesn't anything show up as problematic in my device manager? or the diagnostics I ran?

I don't know why, but I just heard a story about a guy who had a 5 month old computer. He came home, and turned the computer on and....it Blew Up! :o

darn! sorry about that double post. I didn't think the first one went because when the page finally changed, it said 'unable to find page'. aarrgghhh :angry:

No problem. It's happening to everyone today. ;):angry:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Not surprised you have friends here - it's not far. Yep, nice people.

What does the error say? Is the plug and play turned off, or is it started?

LOLOL :lol: Neither.

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: PlugPlayManager

Event ID: 260

Description:

The service "CiSvc" vetoed a target device change request.

...and when I sent it in to MS, this is what their blurb said:

Symbolic Name: WRN_TARGET_DEVICE_CHANGE_SERVICE_VETO

Message: The service "%1" vetoed a target device change request.

Explanation

Your request to safely remove a device from the system was overridden by the specified service. The most likely cause was that the service was using that device at the time.

User Action

Try to remove the device later or, if you don't need the service, stop it and then try to remove the device.

ummm...but I'm not trying to remove anything. :P

I've been told that about computers and their parts going kaput - he said you can buy a new one and it may last for 5 yrs or 5 days. sheesh...they can put a man on the moon, but ........

I didn't answer your message again... :unsure: I didn't see it until I'd written that long post answering the question you asked in it - figured you'd find it. LOL

sonsie

• Moderators

That hive thing? does it do something to the registry? and since that error's a couple of weeks old, should I do the cleanup anyway?

Yes it has to do with the registry not unloading. I had those errors in the event log and installing MS User Profile Hive Cleanup Service got rid of those errors altogether. It also will allow your computer to shutdown/restart properly if the hives are what's causing the problems. You can read a full description from the link I provided in my first post.

kill CiSvc with fire. Context indexing in XP is really unstable in my experiences.

Start > Run > sc config cisvc start= disabled

(don't forget the space after "start=")

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

ok, I think I can find the courage to mess with the registry, but will have to work on the courage to disable CiSvc. I'll see what layperson info I can find for my own peace of mind, but could I ask... why is it ok to disable it? And how do I know that the errors/warnings I'm having from it aren't indicators of a genuine problem?

I'm still wondering about that file I found. If you don't have any ideas that's cool, but if the question has gotten lost in the shuffle, would someone please look at my description of it? I don't know what it is other than a configuration settings file which mentions 'Root Entry' and 'auds' and 'vids'.

From previous post:

Just now when I was looking for a log, I found a loose file in Local Settings > Application Data. The type of file is "Configuration Settings" and there's not much info. The name is a bunch of capital letters, dashes and numbers, and under "view" it shows "Root Entry", followed by lots of capital letters that don't spell anything, with lots of rows of "y"s, also. That's followed by another grouping that looks the same, then towards the bottom there's small letters and symbols, along with the abbreviations "auds" and "vids" and rows of "y"s. That's followed by another grouping that's very similar, if not identical. The "created" date is Feb 23 and the "modified" date is Mar 3.

Thanks!

sonsie

LOL :D Have no fear with the Hive Cleanup. It's harmless, and I can't think of a way that it could get messed up. ;)

DjLizard is only suggesting that you disable the module (for the Indexing Service). You won't be removing it so if at any time you want to enable it again you can. It's simply turning it off and on (but it's still there). If you go to your "start" and then to "help and support" and look up indexing it will tell you what it is, how it works, and how to turn it off and on.

haha - I just found you on another forum. :)

Also, I have been doing some searching and some people have fixed the PlugPlay error by following DjLizard's instructions.

Give it a try and let us know what happens. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I did a google for "What is CiSvc?" and got lots of good info and one link in particular was to one of my fave forums - bet that's where you saw me...castlecops? no...hmmm..didn't log on there recently. oh you may have seen posts. Anyway, I have much faith and trust in castlecops (as I'm also establishing here :D )

and altho the posts were from 2004, lots of people were disabling cisvc due to some info someone posted saying it's safe to do so. So I did it! Pulled up the site for the Hive program, but got sidetracked back here by a post about password programs - had to stop to type a note there, and after a shower I'm going to install the Hive. I am woman hear me rooaarrrr. errr...in this case...bzzzzzzzz. ^_^

Thanks for checking out the PlugnPlay info! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

sonsie

Speaking of the scan I did, do you want a copy? It's a Lavalys Everest application (freeware) which seems pretty darned in-depth. If you run everything and don't condense the report, the help files say there could easily be 2MB of data. Everything looked good on mine (I think) except for video and monitor - and that reminds me...I was able to run the chkdsk /r last night, and then did defrag. Since then I've been getting plug and play errors on system log, which is one of the first errors I got a couple weeks ago.

I <3 EVEREST... or at least I did before they stopped making freeware versions of it! :angry:

You could email me the report, but I doubt it would do too much good. That is just way too much info for my little brain!

Last question...what on earth could be causing my hardware to go bad??!! Ideas? And why doesn't anything show up as problematic in my device manager? or the diagnostics I ran?

Hardware wears down like anything else. Especially components that have moving parts such as hard drives and fans. The parts eventually die due to things like electrical resistance, friction, vibration, etc. Also, if the parts had a small defect in them when you got them, the parts could potentially die within a very short period of time.

btw, interestingly, I haven't had any errors since 5am or so when I did the chkdsk and defrag, with the exception of a couple of plug and play errors. hmmm...ok, just kind of brainstorming here - I know next to nothing about the workings of computers. Would it be possible/likely that something with my monitor is causing the problems? That would sure explain why the techs at the shop rarely had any of the probs I did, and also why I'm having almost the same probs with this new computer as the old. Just a thought. The monitor is a Proview.

Well, in a word, no. If your monitor was bad, your picture might be blurry, aliased, discolored, etc., but that wouldn't cause you to get disk errors and such. The monitor is basically just a TV. It doesn't really send your computer commands, it simply receives images and displays them.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I <3 EVEREST... or at least I did before they stopped making freeware versions of it!

I think it's still free - at least mine was and I just got it 1-2 weeks ago. :)

If your monitor was bad, your picture might be blurry, aliased, discolored, etc., but that wouldn't cause you to get disk errors and such

Well, I thought it was a long shot but figured I'd throw it out there. It just seems so bizarre to have 4 harddrives and possibly a motherboard or 2 - or some combination thereof - go bad in a 4 month period and the monitor was the only thing I hadn't figured into the equation. I've even moved from a house into an apartment during that time, so it wasn't anything to do with physical location, wiring, internet service, etc.

One more thought...is it possible that there's a software application that's causing it? I suppose I could do a search on everything I have to see if there are other similar complaints. I probably would have heard of it, but ya never know. Every few months I come across obscure problems being talking about that I never heard of.

sonsie

I think it's still free - at least mine was and I just got it 1-2 weeks ago. :)

You can still download the old version (2.20) for free, but the newest version 2.5, and the soon to be released 2.8 must be paid for.

One more thought...is it possible that there's a software application that's causing it? I suppose I could do a search on everything I have to see if there are other similar complaints. I probably would have heard of it, but ya never know. Every few months I come across obscure problems being talking about that I never heard of.

sonsie

The only kind of software I can think of that could cause physical problems would be overclocking software, which I'm sure you don't use. Apps like CPU Burn-in give your processor loads of commands that cause it to heat up to extraordinary temperatures. Software such as this could potentially adversely affect your computer, but otherwise, software is not the culprit.

One possibility (and perhaps you already addressed this) is your PSU (power supply unit). It is the box located in the top-back section of your tower, and it sends power to all of your components. If you used the same case/PSU for both computers, that might be where your problem is at.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!