registry items

sonsie

I run an issues scan for the registry every couple of days and always save to file before 'fixing' (which always ends up to be deleting). Several questions:

1. What types of problems would I see if there's a registry problem? I know there's no definitive answer - I'm just looking for a general overview.

2. There would be nothing 'bad' in putting some of those registry items back, correct?

3. I'm using Windows XP, so to do the above, I would go to the folder where they're located, rt click on the batch/date I'm interested in, and click on "merge" at the top of the drop down list, is this correct? I've never done this and registry stuff makes me nervous, so forgive me if this is a 'well duuuhhh' question. :blink:

4. This is pretty much the last thing I'm trying before either taking the computer in to the shop or wiping and reinstalling Windows. Is it appropriate? too stupid for words? :lol: something in between?

sonsie

Yes, that is how to merge the backup registry items.

What is the problem with your computer?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

What is the problem with your computer?

Unfortunately, lots of things, but I don't know what they have in common or are directing me to. In November I had many of the same problems - after several days of a tech working on it in the shop that built it/sold it to me, and trying everything down to loading a different OS, the conclusion was they didn't know what was causing the problems, they'd tested everything testable, but that it might be a motherboard going out since the probs were sporadic, and also because twice I got a screen saying something about loading netbios defaults. Most of the time, the computer didn't produce the same problems in the shop that they did at home.

So I bought a new computer...this one!

?kerio personal firewall ? GUI cannot connect to service? (only sporadically and only tvguide. Never had a problem before)

Computer won?t perform a check disk on C. Get a popup saying ?Windows was unable to complete the disk check.?

When I tried to run one with Fix-It, it ran, but said I needed to run a chkdsk with F (which windows wouldn't do). I tried again today and it said "Unable to access disk"

System has performed 2 dumps of 535MB each within 1 day (about a week ago)

Fix-It has a diagnostics which I tried and a couple of areas passed, but when I got to motherboard and memory tests, the computer crashed immediately and each time I got a screen that said "Driver_IRQL_not less_or_equal" and some other things like - if this is the first time you've seen this screen, then reboot. If you've seen it before...I don't remember, something about netbios.

Tried to run Fix-It diagnostics yesterday and got lots of errors which didn't show up except in the app event log

system error log errors: Delayed Write Failed (LOTS of these for several days, now - a couple times a day

Warning - Event Source: PlugPlayManager The service "CiSvc" vetoed a target device change request

file system structure on disk is corrupt and unusable; please run chkdsk (but it won't run one)

Error code 000000d1, parameter1 c0300000, parameter2 000000ff, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 19a91096

The server {72C2714F...} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

application event log errors: can't unload registry files

content scan could not be completed on C (getting this one at regular intervals)

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. Bought this computer in mid-December and kept an old HD which went out in mid-January, so I replaced it, so I now have a HD 3 mos old and one 2 mos old. Is it possible that there's a problem with configuration (on 2 separate computers) that's causing HDs or motherboards to be going bad quickly (if that's what's happening)? The actual day-to-day functioning - opening documents, being online, etc. - is, in general, ok.

Also, is it worth putting back the registry items that I've deleted since Mar 6 and risk muddying the waters?

sonsie

What is Fix-It?

Have you tried a chkdsk /r? I'm not finished reading your post. I just didn't want to forget to ask.

If I were you I wouldn't put back the registry stuff.

When did your recent problems start? Is it worth it to do a System Restore?

What OS?

And what type of security software are you using?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Fix-It is a utilities program from Ontrack that performs chkdsk, defrag, disk snapshot, registry cleaner, fixer, editor & defrag, diagnostics, system monitor and explorer, crash-proof, virus scanner, several data recovery programs, and several other tasks of that sort. I only use a handful of them. (Not a bad little piece of software, btw, and I think I only paid $15 for it.)

Have to confess - I've never run a chkdsk /r and don't know what it is. I'm guessing the "r" isn't for 'repair' because it seems that would be the same as 'fix'. The problem is that the computer refuses to do a chkdsk. However, somone on another forum suggested I use the recovery console and gave me a link to webtree.ca which gives instructions. I chose not to do that at that time, and today decided I would, but wanted to see about the registry situation first. It makes me nervous to mess around in unknown (to me) areas - always afraid I'll mess something up, and even worse, that I won't be able to get back online for help. Think it's safe? Have to access it in that area between a reboot and Windows.

I had similar thoughts about not restoring any registry items - it would probably just confuse the issues.

The problems started March 6th, and I can almost pinpoint the time because in my post to another forum I mentioned that they'd started 3 hours earlier. Course, the actual causing event may have occurred hours or even the day before.

I thought of doing a system restore a day or two after the problems started, but when I accessed it, it was turned off. I also thought about using my Norton GoBack, but it was inexplicably empty.

I'm using Windows XP - sp2

Security: Ad-Aware, MS Antispyware, ewido anti-malware, Norton Antivirus, and Kerio Personal Firewall. The first thing I did was a full scan using each program, as well as a couple of online scans. Came out clean, which I figured would happen. I'd rather have a bug. <_<

Just now when I was looking for a log, I found a loose file in Local Settings > Application Data. The type of file is "Configuration Settings" and there's not much info. The name is a bunch of capital letters, dashes and numbers, and under "view" it shows "Root Entry", followed by lots of capital letters that don't spell anything, with lots of rows of "y"s, also. That's followed by another grouping that looks the same, then towards the bottom there's small letters and symbols, along with the abbreviations "auds" and "vids" and rows of "y"s. That's followed by another grouping that's very similar, if not identical. The "created" date is Feb 23 and the "modified" date is Mar 3.

Another application someone linked me to was Lavalys Everest Home Edition - a diagnostics program. I ran it again either this morning or yesterday, but can't find it. Will keep looking.

EDIT: ok, ran another scan with Everest. I sure hope that if there's a problem that they spell it out like: ERROR, or YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH... because there's no way I could figure it out in amongst 1-2MB of data that it spits out. So - assuming they spell it out, then I have no problems with computer, motherboard, display, multimedia, storage, network, directX, devices or benchmark testing of memory. oh, one thing I'm unsure of, at the end it had a small section titled "DEBUG - VIDEO BIOS", and then one more line titled "DEBUG - UNKNOWN", and then under it: Monitor EMC0309: Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]. Does that mean there's a problem? That would make some sense based on an error I got on the first day this all started: "Warning - Event Source: PlugPlayManager The service "CiSvc" vetoed a target device change request.

sonsie

Are you in a hurry with this? You could just try a few steps at a time.

I would suggest to do a sfc /scannow before doing anything else. It will check all of your system files, and if any of them are corrupted or missing it will replace them.

Have your installation CD ready, but don't insert it until prompted to do so.

start > run > (type) cmd.exe > (click) ok > at the command prompt type: sfc /scannow (there is a space after sfc)

Are you comfortable with starting out this way? Or do you want to jump right in? It's up to you.

Keep us posted! :)

P.S. I love your signature. ;)

Holy crap! Sounds like we have plenty of issues to address!

?kerio personal firewall ? GUI cannot connect to service? (only sporadically and only tvguide. Never had a problem before)

Before when? When it was still on the old computer, or when you first got the new computer?

System has performed 2 dumps of 535MB each within 1 day (about a week ago)

Ouch! However, that shouldn't actually be alarming, because you have your computer set to do a complete memory dump, instead of just a small or kernel memory dump. So theoretically, every time your computer crashes, Windows will write a half-gig of info as a .dmp file. If you have frequent crashes (which apparently you do) you may want to set your dump to small for the time being, so that your HD doesn't fill up with those. To do that, right-click My Computer, select Properties, click the Advanced tab, click Settings (under Startup and Recovery), and under Write debugging information, change Complete Memory Dump to Small Memory Dump. That will speed up your recovery from crashes, and not consume a bunch of HD.

...Computer won?t perform a check disk on C. Get a popup saying ?Windows was unable to complete the disk check.?

When I tried to run one with Fix-It, it ran, but said I needed to run a chkdsk with F (which windows wouldn't do). I tried again today and it said "Unable to access disk"...

...file system structure on disk is corrupt and unusable; please run chkdsk (but it won't run one)

Error code 000000d1, parameter1 c0300000, parameter2 000000ff, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 19a91096

The server {72C2714F...} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

content scan could not be completed on C (getting this one at regular intervals)

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. Bought this computer in mid-December and kept an old HD which went out in mid-January, so I replaced it, so I now have a HD 3 mos old and one 2 mos old. Is it possible that there's a problem with configuration (on 2 separate computers) that's causing HDs or motherboards to be going bad quickly (if that's what's happening)? The actual day-to-day functioning - opening documents, being online, etc. - is, in general, ok.

And here is where things get nasty. I would highly doubt this is due to software problems, even though it would seem that way. It honestly sounds like a major hardware failure, either in you mobo or hard drive(s). What company are the HDs and mobo? Also, what company is the entire computer? And please don't say Dell...

I am assuming that your HDs are lettered C: and F:, correct? Which one contains your OS? Is either of the drives partitioned? And if so, are the potentially failing drives both actually just a single partitioned drive?

Also, is it worth putting back the registry items that I've deleted since Mar 6 and risk muddying the waters?

sonsie

I wouldn't if I were you. You can try, but don't expect anything good to happen. I doubt it will hurt anything, but any registry cleaner you use thereafter will probably just refind them and remove them again.

Make sure to let us know what you find out!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Hiya krit86lr,

Sounds like a plan. No, I'm not in any hurry as long as it's still running.

I don't know what an sfc /scannow is, but you gave clear directions so I won't worry about it.

Just a heads-up...there's another post after yours, and I was seeing if this forum site was different and would allow me to reply right after yours, but before the next one, so I clicked on the "add reply" that was attached to your post. Nope, it won't allow that, but it did bring your post up as if I'd written it, and I suspect I could have edited it or anything else. Didn't know if anyone would want to know.

ok, will answer the next post, then try that scan.

LOL yeah...I love that sig line, too! I can just picture a bunch of chubby little cells hanging out partying, bragging, daring and double-daring... and before you know it, someone dares someone else to become John Doe and *pooof* - earth has a new human! :lol:

I'll let you know how the scan turns out.

sonsie

Sounds good. The sfc /scannow will scan all of your system files. It will compare those files to the files on your installation CD, and if anything is missing or corrupt it will replace it with a fresh file off of the CD.

I'm hoping that your chkdsk works after this. Don't forget to reboot (take the CD out before rebooting). And try a chkdsk /r (space after chkdsk) from the command prompt.

After all of that is done you can move on to some of lokoike's suggestions/questions. His suggestions are good even if the chkdsk ends up working.

Remember that you have more things to do. Just trying to get you started here. ;) Make sure that you're the administrator too, okay?

i'll be back in a few...too freaklin frustrated

Okay. But feel free to vent. ;)

This is why I hate doing procedures I've never done before. They look easy, are straighforward, good directions, but for some damned reason they don't work for me. Then I'm stuck in a situation where I have to wing it, but I don't have the necessary knowledge to wing it and if I wing it wrong I could screw everything up.

I ordered the scan, and it asked for the files, so I put in the CD. It took about 45 minutes (!!) to transfer them. Shortly after they started, a big blue windows window popped up asking what I wanted to do. I didn't know...didn't expect that. I chose 'perform a task' or something, went to the second page and thought no...this isn't what I want, so I exited the window. When the files finished, I again typed in the command, and it again asked for the files! So I came back here and started writing a post. Then it occurred to me that maybe I needed to remove the CD, so I left this site and tried that. Nope, still wants files transferred. And it let me exit the cmd screen, but the window asking about the files wouldn't go away - kept saying are you sure? You might have to insert the CD later. I kept saying yes. Even a ctrl, alt, del wouldn't get rid of them. So I came back here to finish the post, with the window in the middle of the screen cuz it wouldn't go under this window. Finally finished my post, clicked on 'add reply', and it took forever and when the screen finally changed, I got a 'page cannot be displayed'. I tried to back up, but my post was gone.

So I left, restarted the computer, and here I am.

I'm sorry I didn't answer your message, I've never used them and didn't see a "respond" button.

sonsie

It sounds like your system is set to autorun the CD. Is that what's happening? Is the CD immediately starting to run setup when you put it in?

maybe, but i didn't put it in until i was asked for it. and even then, i tried it with no CD after it asked for files again...there was no CD in and it should have recognized that the files were all there. right?

maybe, but i didn't put it in until i was asked for it. and even then, i tried it with no CD after it asked for files again...there was no CD in and it should have recognized that the files were all there. right?

Kind of, but it wants to compare the files on your computer with the files on the CD in order to make sure that they are clean files.

Edit: I will be back in 5 minutes.

ok, I see what you mean. hmmm...then it wasn't even coming close to what I asked it to do. As soon as I hit 'enter' after the scan order, it said it would need files for .dll. I put in the CD, and it copied them, which it shouldn't have done if I understand correctly.

btw, not sure how much longer I'll last. Once I get frustrated without getting that reward of being able to do what I set out to do on the computer, the frustration level doesn't go down and I know I might as well do something else. I'd like to get this scan if possible, tho.

I lived NW of Springfield on a small farm for about 5 yrs. :)

btw #2...we're getting 11-14 inches of snow tonight on top of the 4-5 we got today - so I have time. LOL

'nother edit...if this were you, and your computer was still under warranty, would you go through these investigating procedures? or just take it in to the shop?

ok, I see what you mean. hmmm...then it wasn't even coming close to what I asked it to do. As soon as I hit 'enter' after the scan order, it said it would need files for .dll. I put in the CD, and it copied them, which it shouldn't have done if I understand correctly.

btw, not sure how much longer I'll last. Once I get frustrated without getting that reward of being able to do what I set out to do on the computer, the frustration level doesn't go down and I know I might as well do something else. I'd like to get this scan if possible, tho.

btw #2...we're getting 11-14 inches of snow tonight on top of the 4-5 we got today - so I have time. LOL

'nother edit...if this were you, and your computer was still under warranty, would you go through these investigating procedures? or just take it in to the shop?

It sounds like it was doing it correctly. Try doing it this way, to stop the setup. If you have 2 drives, make sure that the CD is the drive that you used to install your OS. That's the path that it will look for.

1. Locate your Windows XP CD, and place it in the CD-ROM drive. When prompted what to do, choose Exit. Close any other open programs.

2. Open the command prompt window by typing cmd or cmd.exe in the run box > click OK.

3. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (space after sfc). Press Enter or Return on the keyboard.

4.Wait while the process completes. Don't do anything while the verification is taking place.

OK, but what do I do when it's done transferring/copying the files? I just started it (and quit to come back here) and it did the same thing where it started copying. And before, when it was done, I again typed in sfc /scannow and it again asked for the files.

OK, but what do I do when it's done transferring/copying the files? I just started it (and quit to come back here) and it did the same thing where it started copying. And before, when it was done, I again typed in sfc /scannow and it again asked for the files.

When it is done, reboot your computer. That's it. Don't type it in again.

You said that it did finish once, right? Then you did it already. ;)

Springfield, MO or IL? You're a farm boy.... ;)

Well because I think that computers are fun I would keep investigating. :lol:

Seriously though, you can try working on it a little while you're snowed in...but if lokoike is correct then the computer will need to go back to the shop regardless of what you do. You could use this opportunity to become a little more comfortable and familiar with your computer. Again, though...personal choice.

Added Note: If sfc /scannow was difficult then stay far away from the Recovery Console. You won't get through it. I don't want you to get locked out of your computer or something crazy while you're snowed in. :P

Sorry, I keep forgetting to answer one of your questions. chkdsk /r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information...also includes /f. chkdsk /r does what /f is doing, and more.

good news! I finished the scannow, altho once into it I realized I prob didn't need to repeat. LOL I guess it ran before - my prob, as usual, is I often don't know when I've reached the end point of a procedure.

anyway, good news is that i did the cmd to chkdsk /r and it looks ok so far. before, i didn't even get to the point where it asked if i wanted to when it shut down. so i'm going to run that, and on E too, then defrag it all. and that's it for computer's for me tonight, workwise anyway. blech! ptooie!

Springfield MO, and no, wouldn't consider myself a farm gal by any means. Just lived on a baby farm (5 acres) for a few years. Get this - this is how NOT country I am...we had some hens and 3 roosters. The roosters had a heirarchy and the head guy's name was Too Tall and came up to my knees (I'm 5'6"). He was mean! We'd just walk out the door and he come rushing over. After about a year, he actually began making contact now and then and/or actually chasing us. My then husband was gone for 10 days or so at a time. This one time I got fed up with Too Tall so I shot him with the shotgun. And then buried him! Had to do something otherwise it would attract the coyotes into the yard. so yeah...i'm a farm gal...not! And yes, the others positions changed and next in line got too aggressive and yep, you guessed it. i'm an animal lover and wouldn't hurt one unless my life depended on it - and we felt like it did at times! sheesh! who knew?!

Since I won't be traipsing in and out in the snow with an armful of computer like I did several times before, I agree that this would be a good opportunity to get acquainted with my computer. I'm not stupid - I just don't have the necessary knowledge not to screw up, and that intimidates me.

thank you so much! will probably speak with you again soon. take care.

sonsie

thanks for the info on chkdsk /r. some people just want to know what to do to make it better, but i want information. don't know how much i'll remember, but i figure it makes a small dent. LOL

very cool. i now know what to do if it won't do a chkdsk. 293 pieces of info down, 5.6 billion to go. computers! whew!

• Moderators

Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

---

It sounds as if you have allot of hardware related issues, so much so that if I were you I wouldn't buy s**t from that computer shop again.

---

If chkdsk refuses to run, etc., you can use a different approach to get it to do a none-thorough scan, this will only perform the standard check using this command:

%windir%\system32\FSUTIL.exe DIRTY SET C:

To check other hard disks replace C: at the end of the command with that drive letter.

Hiyas lokoike, <snicker snicker> great 'post-erior' indeed.

?kerio personal firewall ? ..."

Before when? When it was still on the old computer, or when you first got the new computer?

Well, ever really, because the past couple of months are the first time I've had a firewall.

So theoretically, every time your computer crashes, Windows will write a half-gig of info as a .dmp file. If you have frequent crashes (which apparently you do) you may want to set your dump to small for the time being, so that your HD doesn't fill up with those

Actually, I don't crash, or it's very rare - like 3 times in 3 months. My last computer crashed all the time...anywhere from 3-4 times/day to 45-50 times/day. I won't stress about the dumping for now since it hasn't done it since those two.

What company are the HDs and mobo? Also, what company is the entire computer? And please don't say Dell...

Motherboard:

CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1600 MHz (8 x 200) 2800+

Motherboard Name ECS K8M800-M2 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8380 K8M800, AMD Hammer

System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award (09/18/05)

Motherboard Manufacturer:

Company Name Elitegroup Computer Systems

Product Information http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/Prod...nuID=16&LanID=0

BIOS Download http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/Cat...px?Categoryid=1

ATA Device Manufacturer:

Company Name Western Digital Corporation

Product Information http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products

LOL No, not a Dell or a Gateway. The computer is made by a local company called DIT Computers. It was started by one man about 10 years ago, not quite in, but close to the proverbial garage. They only have 4 storefronts - three in Nebraska and one in Iowa. I followed a link to resellers.com and found some customer comments there. Unfortunately, they were all at least 5 years old, but the gist was people either loved DIT (more) or weren't crazy about them (a couple). No one said they were horrible, just that they wouldn't buy there again, even though prices are usually better than internet prices. Seems like the complaints were mostly on the customer service side, but a few were about products. There's not a lot to choose from in Omaha as far as repairs/techs. I've heard that places like Best Buy charge a non-refundable $100 diagnostic fee, don't do the work there but send it off somewhere, and the computer could easily be gone for 6-8 weeks after being told it would be a couple of weeks and no contact letting you know this (2 sides to every story, though). At DIT, there's a non-refundable $50 diagnostic fee and normally a wait of 5-7 days before they start on it because of the backup and prob not enough techs, but once they start, it's normally less than a couple of days to be finished. If the computer is one of theirs, service is free for the life of the computer. If it's been in the shop within the previous 90 days, there's no 5-7 day wait - you're priority and they take you right away. As for products, I haven't a clue except that they're name brands. Here's their website: http://www.ditcorp.com

Hds are labeled C: and E:, with system files on C:. If I remember correctly, there are two actual HDs, not just one that's been partitioned - am almost positive of that. Partitioning...hmmm...I know I should know this, and have seen where to find the info before, but have forgotten. I *think* neither are partitioned.

OK, there's some answers for ya, now a couple of questions....

What about that .ini file I found all by its lonesome? From different post:

Just now when I was looking for a log, I found a loose file in Local Settings > Application Data. The type of file is "Configuration Settings" and there's not much info. The name is a bunch of capital letters, dashes and numbers, and under "view" it shows "Root Entry", followed by lots of capital letters that don't spell anything, with lots of rows of "y"s, also. That's followed by another grouping that looks the same, then towards the bottom there's small letters and symbols, along with the abbreviations "auds" and "vids" and rows of "y"s. That's followed by another grouping that's very similar, if not identical. The "created" date is Feb 23 and the "modified" date is Mar 3.

It seems like it's significant given the fact that I had 'debug' info regarding videos on the scan I did, as well as on the system log.

Speaking of the scan I did, do you want a copy? It's a Lavalys Everest application (freeware) which seems pretty darned in-depth. If you run everything and don't condense the report, the help files say there could easily be 2MB of data. Everything looked good on mine (I think) except for video and monitor - and that reminds me...I was able to run the chkdsk /r last night, and then did defrag. Since then I've been getting plug and play errors on system log, which is one of the first errors I got a couple weeks ago.

Last question...what on earth could be causing my hardware to go bad??!! Ideas? And why doesn't anything show up as problematic in my device manager? or the diagnostics I ran?

btw, interestingly, I haven't had any errors since 5am or so when I did the chkdsk and defrag, with the exception of a couple of plug and play errors. hmmm...ok, just kind of brainstorming here - I know next to nothing about the workings of computers. Would it be possible/likely that something with my monitor is causing the problems? That would sure explain why the techs at the shop rarely had any of the probs I did, and also why I'm having almost the same probs with this new computer as the old. Just a thought. The monitor is a Proview.

Hi Andavari,

It sounds as if you have allot of hardware related issues, so much so that if I were you I wouldn't buy s**t from that computer shop again.

I know...I'm frustrated to say the least and don't know what to blame. I'm not blindly defending DIT - but check out their site. They're not what I would expect from a 4 storefront operation. I did get the chkdsk to run. That hive thing? does it do something to the registry? and since that error's a couple of weeks old, should I do the cleanup anyway?

sonsie

darn! sorry about that double post. I didn't think the first one went because when the page finally changed, it said 'unable to find page'. aarrgghhh :angry: