APK Files

holch

I was wondering which APK files CCleaner deletes?

I have used the cleaner yesterday and I analyzed the phone, it found some apk files to clean. As I was unsure if this would include apk files of apps that I currently use, I clicked on it and there was a list of apk files stating a status "newer version installed" and others "installed". Of course I just would like to delete the files with the status "newer version installed" and not the currently used apk files.

However, seeing this list I am not sure if I could just use this function (and it would delete only those where a newer version is installed) or if this would uninstall all apk files in this list (which would be not good). At the moment I go through the list and tick each apk one by one if it can be deleted or not, which can take quite a bit.

So I was wondering what would happen if I would just leave "APK files" ticked on the main screen and it would not delete the currently installed versions. This would make things a lot quicker.

Hi,

If you delete an apk file of an app you have installed, this will not affect the app. The apk file is akin to an installer on a Windows computer - once you have installed the program using the apk file, the apk file itself becomes redundant (unless I suppose you want to reinstall later on!) This is why we included this cleaning option in CCleaner for Android. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Pretty much the same reason as when you download an installer onto a computer and it's still there in your download folder after the program has been installed.

It's down to the software writer of whichever program it is to decide as to whether the installer should be auto removed after installation or not, and as far as I can recollect I believe I've only ever seen one installer subjected to a "self delete" routine after installation, and that is Adobe Flash Player.

There can be good reasons to keep an installer (or APK file) after an installation is complete. For one, I keep certain APK files as backups because not every update of a program or app is a good one, and this may not be discovered until you install the latest update. An ad free Android app may suddenly take on intrusive ads, or an update may be bug ridden.

That being the case I reinstall the backup of the "good" version.

Bare in mind that unlike computer programs, where there are many reputable sites with old versions of software available, you won't find old versions of Android apps available in the "Play Store". You would have to search for a site with older versions available, and finding a reputable source for this isn't very easy. There are quite a few places I wouldn't want to risk using.

So, I would at least keep the APK file of an app until I knew it was as good as the previous version and runs without any issues, such as sucking the life out of your phone or tablet. That can happen.

All being well after a reasonable period of time, then delete it or keep it.

Hope that helps.

:)

EDIT: APK files are completely separate from the installed program. No functionality would be lost at all by deleting them.