Defragmentation is skipped

Liger

Hi, when I start the defragmentation of main or other drives, this is what happens.

1. Building file list (0-100%; abount 10 seconds)

2. Defragmentating (0; abount 5 seconds)

3. Calculating disk performance (0-100%; abount 15 seconds)

The defragmentation takes a few moments and remains stopped at 0%, then it go directly to the calculating disk performance.

Why does it happen? The fragmentation of my OS Drive is of 8% (7,5 GB ), and the external HDD is still at 16% (101 GB ).

• Moderators

8% is nothing to worry over. It's likely that this is as defragmented as much as possible.

You could look at the file list and attempt to defrag individual files, but you should remember one thing. Windows begins fragmenting immediately (even as it is being defragmented) thus the "holy grail" of 0% that you are trying to achieve is nonexistent. Anything less than 25% is pretty much optimized with no need to defragment.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

hello liger :)

perhaps is not enough free space for defrag? you need in approximately 15%, more is better of course.

its also a question of file-sizes... if you have many GB-sized files, its not so good. especially in conjunction with not enough free space.

another question is your page-file-size and your hibernation-file. this are secured/protected files from windows

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

More information on @trium's "another question" is here

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=35458

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Thanks for the answers.  :)

I'm sure free space is not the problem, because taken space in:

C drive (Windows): 104/680

E drive: 514/931

The options you specified were already ticked.

Anyway, I remember one day I blocked defragmentation process of disk C at about 5%, then the problem came with all drives.

I also tried to uninstall and install again, but nothing changed.

• Moderators

As I said, there is no problem. The rest of the fragments are unmoveable at this time. If you wish, try to individually defragment them. It is likely that they are sharing blocks with unmovable files and/or they themselves are unmoveable.

What are some of the files listed in the files window

on my 370 gb partition of windowsdrive was my hibernationfile 6,24 GB and pagefile 8 GB fragmented and it shows me 7% or so. all others are ok. the only thing i could to was to deactivate these files (the pagefile i moved to another partition for the defragmentation process.), then defragment the windowsdrive and then activate the files again. -now are these files in one piece.

perhaps also the systemrestorepoints...

have you some large other files? movies. images...

have you looked at the tab "File list" after "Analyze"?

what say the windows-defragmenter? does it work?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I've used the windows tool and it defrag really good, while defraggler doesn't do it stopping at 0%. After I finished it, I tested the free space defrag (Normal, I don't know if the permission of fragment one is better or not..) of defraggler, it worked with E drive, but I had to test several consecutive times before making it work on C drive (it usually stops at 0%).

Can I ask why the exclusion of restore point and ibernation files is preferred?

Anyway I deleted all the restore point except for the last one.

On drive E, after free space defrag, all "spaces" are occupied and then all are cleaned, except for one that is after a lot of transarent "spaces". I'm curiose to know why only that file hasn't been moved.

• Moderators

Can I ask why the exclusion of restore point and ibernation files is preferred?

my spin on that is, why defrag the pagefile, hibernation file, swap files, restore points etc. when they are going to get frag'd as soon as you start using the PC.

those sort of files have high I/O and are in almost constant use, by their very nature, they are always fragmented, it's usually just a question of how badly.

and a belated Welcome to the Forum. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

my spin on that is, why defrag the pagefile, hibernation file, swap files, restore points etc. when they are going to get frag'd as soon as you start using the PC.

those sort of files have high I/O and are in almost constant use, by their very nature, they are always fragmented, it's usually just a question of how badly.

and a belated Welcome to the Forum. :)

Thanks!