CCleaner && Norton Internet Security, Norton Product Tamper Protection

vipasko

Recently, I have discussion on the topic on Symantec forum: see https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6692471

There are some strong comments there:

Norton Product Tamper Protection is preventing CCleaner from incorrectly removing this registry entry and damaging your Norton installation

CCleaner being unable to delete your Norton-related registry item, that is a detection of a legitimate or orphaned Norton registry entry by CCleaner and not something that Symantec needs to fix

If you use a registry cleaner on a regular basis, you might want to read the Microsoft support article Microsoft Support Policy for the Use of Registry Cleaning Utilities

(link is external), which states in part:

"Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning.  However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities... Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners."

So, i'd like to get piriform comments on that statements

• Moderators

It's perfectly normal for some anti virus/security software to protect itself.

This is part of what it does to stop malware/virus etc shutting it down so it can invade a system.

Just right -click on the entries and add them to exclusions.

As to the registry cleaning warnings, most people realise it is not a good idea to use tools to clean things when you have no idea of the implications it can have.

That is one of the reasons Ccleaner asks you to make a backup of the reg entries if you decide you want to use the reg cleaner.

Mostly if people ask about how and what to clean using the reg cleaner, it usually means it is better that they don't do it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well, adding this to exclude list is OK. But it looks like CCleaner incorrectly reports on missing TypeLib for IBackupLocationsShellFolderImpl and on suggestion to fix it, because Symantec blocks such changes.

• Moderators

Ccleaner misreported the entry. because the antivirus hid its source. This is by design of the antivirus. If this registry entry properly identified as being part of symantec/norton then viruses could easily disable your antivirus

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

And just to reiterate the old chestnut....

There is (almost always) no reason to run registry cleaners - as per Microsoft's official stance.

The gains in space and performance are so meagre as to be virtually zero.  At least not humanly perceivable.  Especially on new-gen PC's.

And Yes, we all poo-poo Microsoft, the big evil company (heck, I'm usually one of them) but after more than 20years of having a Registry, when its 'inventor' still has no utility to maintain it, you'd hope there was a good reason.

Don't get me wrong, I was once a monthly, or so, reg cleaner, but I found much later on that weird, unexplained things would happen (or not happen as the case may be) and could never rule out "did I corrupt the registry?"

I know only do it if the PC already has issues and even then, only after all the other utilities in the kit have had no success.

That's my comments on the matter.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

There is no difference in performance. You won't notice a difference in system speed. The only difference you'll notice is when you actually search in your registry. Cleaning often only make it more fragmented. Which may or may not result in slower system performance, although you won't notice much difference.

A broken registry is a broken Windows. The again there is no excuse using such products as Norton.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

after more than 20years of having a Registry, when its 'inventor' still has no utility to maintain it, you'd hope there was a good reason.

Microsoft did have one in that free online virus scanning/maintenance service from a few short years ago before Microsoft Security Essentials was ever released. Their registry cleaner was very aggressive (dangerous in fact), and if allowed to delete what it found it would break some installed software such as their very own Microsoft Office, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

CCleaner is not an anti-virus program, or any sort of PC protection.  It just cleans up crap.

If your Norton's is one of their security products (and not one of their other utilities) then that is your anti-virus protection and it will need renewing when the subscription expires, by the sounds of it, in a few months.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.