Ran registry fix in CCleaner after Windows 10 update, now computer won't boot

middlemancrisis

I had windows 10 for about 1 week, ran CCleaner's registry cleaner and after I clicked on "fix selected problems", the computer crashed and then upon restart I get the check boot media screen. I made sure the hour order has the HDD first, but it made no difference. I'm a capable newbie on these matters. I just wanted to check here first before taking it to the "professionals". Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

• Moderators

First, unless you are a corporate user and actually utilize the ether boot (highly unlikely in this threads case but maybe), go back into boot order and completely disable "network boot" or similar name that'll stop the screen you are getting.

Second, do you remember what registry entry you removed, have you created a windows restore disc? Do you have access to a second pc XP (or maybe Vista) or higher?

Third, while hopefully we can resolve this for you, I would like to take the opportunity to point you toward my long-time, much earlier than windows 10, signature. It provides sane, rational advice for the usage of any registry "fixer" product like CCleaner (though I might add especially competition softwares as CCleaner is the most gentle registry cleaner that I and many others have encountered).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

To answer your other question, no I don't have another computer handy with either OS handy. We may still have original recovery disks for Windows 7 around, but I was hoping to avoid that if this could be fixed easily. Also, I'm not sure which registry fix it was performing when it crashed. I made the mistake of routinely using CCleaner and it's registry cleaner with Windows 7. I just thought it wouldn't have been so problematic to run it with Windows 10.

• Moderators

Have a read here for some ideas to try. Fix 3 or 4 may help as they will apply to win 10.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/

Win 10 disks are downloadable as you know.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Win 10 disks are downloadable as you know.
Yeah that's where I was going to go if there was access to another pc

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's where I was going to go if there was access to another pc

I apologize for the long delay. I found my windows 7 recovery disks, and if need be, I can borrow a computer from a friend. 

At this point my biggest concern is whether or not I'll be essentially blowing away any files that weren't covered by my last back up? And if so, am I taking the laptop to someone that can recover those files before reinstalling 7 or 10 (my gut says I should just stick with 7 and just update everything and let everyone else besides me be the guinea pigs for 10). 

I also went to the neosmart site and got the downloadable Windows 10 on that site. Of course...doesn't do me much good from my Windows phone.... (I'm assuming?!?)

Thanks for your time.

Had this happen to me also.     Here is what I did . Figured I had a big problem so I was just farting around trying different things.  I tapped the delete key at start up to get into BIOS. OK  got into bios.  Just navigated around bios looking at things for a while  and then hit the  "Esc"  key to exit bios.    10 loaded normally after that. Been fine since. I will not use the registry defrag again until it gets straightened out.  Goes without saying....DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS IN BIOS.   Navigate around a bit then leave.

Good Luck

• Moderators
I realize I should've mentioned what my computer is, it's a Toshiba satellite P755-S5215.Juice, I fired up the computer again to see if I could enter the bios the way you mentioned, but its a no-go because I was never able to enter the actual bios, just the startup menu....
I found these instructions for your pc to enter BIOS with fastboot enabled (which is likely why you only got the start-up menu)

In case neither F1 nor F2 works: When Fast Boot is enabled, you must first hold down the F2 key and then power-on the computer. BTW, you can also reach Setup this way while Windows runs. Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > HWSetup
If you get to the start-up menu, can you choose last known good configuration

So I tapped the "delete" key once as Juice suggested, which got the windows icon to appear along with the loading circles below it, then it just sat there for two minutes, then to a black screen for one minute, then I heard the familiar windows jingle while the screen stayed black for another 3 minutes, then went to an all blue screen with the circular loading for another minute and now I'm finally back to the windows 10 screen. At this point, it appears that juice is the man!.. But now I've got to ask, should I backup my computer to a previous restore point to potentially restore what CCleaner messed up? I'm not going to do anything with my computer until I hear back from yall. Below are the of the step by step after hitting delete during startup.

Alright, so I figured out that I should "Merge" the registry backup that I did right before this whole mess occured. Problem is..I get the following warning messages and I'm assuming I have to perform this operation as "Run as administrator". Thing is, it's not giving me that option on that file (as shown below). Is there something I'm missing on how to fully and successfully merge the registry values back in?

post-73773-0-09714200-1441938825_thumb.jpg

post-73773-0-78874900-1441938825_thumb.jpg

post-73773-0-29414500-1441938826_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You'll need to run Regedit directly then (it'll also require admin privilages)

In search/cortana type regedit it should come right up

Then in the file menu for regedit you can import the reg file

You may also want to first look through the reg file in notepad (or favored text editor program) and remove those entries you know you don't want (kinda a mirror image of my signature advice on registry editing)

• Moderators

Sometimes that helps sometimes it doesn't, so all luck sent your way