ccleaner not clearing all found

shankle

When it does happen, if you keep running CCleaner over-and-over does it keep cleaning more stuff?

Also, some things (applications) don't get cleaned if they're opened. Is anything open that CCleaner want to clean when this happens?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

When it does happen, if you keep running CCleaner over-and-over does it keep cleaning more stuff?

Also, some things (applications) don't get cleaned if they're opened. Is anything open that CCleaner want to clean when this happens?

It does not clean more if I run it over.

All the stuff that starts up at bootup is running

Thanks for your answer

JPS

It does not clean more if I run it over.

JPS

Are you closing CCleaner first before re-running it?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

If you have any apps open (thinking Photoshop and similar) they may well have large, locked temporary files in the Temp directory. Try running CC just after booting the PC, before running anything else.

You will probably find that CC doesn't find such large files if you are not running other apps, since the program using that temp file will more often than not remove it when closed...

If you have any apps open (thinking Photoshop and similar) they may well have large, locked temporary files in the Temp directory. Try running CC just after booting the PC, before running anything else.

You will probably find that CC doesn't find such large files if you are not running other apps, since the program using that temp file will more often than not remove it when closed...

1. there are no checks in the advanced settings. So hotfix is not checked.

2. I close Ccleaner by going to the "x" in the upper right corner.

3. I went to RUN and typed in msconfig and took the check out of the startup and

rebooted and ran Ccleaner. No change that I could see.

4. If I get the condition where I analyze and CCleaner runs for quite a time and comes

up with over 600M of items, I will try to get a screen shot of it.

Thanks for all your help.

JPS

1. there are no checks in the advanced settings. So hotfix is not checked.

2. I close Ccleaner by going to the "x" in the upper right corner.

3. I went to RUN and typed in msconfig and took the check out of the startup and

rebooted and ran Ccleaner. No change that I could see.

4. If I get the condition where I analyze and CCleaner runs for quite a time and comes

Thanks for all your help.

JPS

Don't use msconfig for this. In CCleaner uncheck "run CCleaner when computer starts", and "automatically check for updates to CCleaner".

I agree with cde. Make sure that other programs are not running. You may have apps running in the background or something. Check your Task Manager in the Applications Tab, and end any running processes.

If none of these suggestions work, then try it in Safe Mode, and let us know what happens.

I have a feeling that K's and cde's suggestions about running apps are correct. Perhaps you have a browser, such as Firefox, open? You can crank up FF's cache, so if you set it to around 600 MB, perhaps that is your problem. Could also be a combination of multiple apps.

Otherwise, it could also be a bug in CC itself. I have seen comments like this from other users in the past, where analyze incorrectly estimates the numbers of files/size of files removed.

Even if the problem does end up being a running app, that is still a bug in CC, because it is listing files that it actually won't clean out, unless of course the apps are shut down first. That should be looked into/fixed.

One last question: when you went into MSCONFIG, did you disable the startup processes for your running apps, or did you disable the process for CCleaner? Or both?

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

One last question: when you went into MSCONFIG, did you disable the startup processes for your running apps, or did you disable the process for CCleaner? Or both?

Good question. :) I thought he meant CCleaner, but I wasn't sure. <_<

• Moderators

JPS

The running for a long time can be caused by anti-virus real-time protection hence the installed anti-virus will scan the files, and since some temp files are difficult to scan such as those used by an installer "GLB##.TMP" compressed ("ASPack, UPX", etc) or even protected ("ASProtect", etc) it will slow things down if there's a rather large amount of files.

I have a feeling that K's and cde's suggestions about running apps are correct. Perhaps you have a browser, such as Firefox, open? You can crank up FF's cache, so if you set it to around 600 MB, perhaps that is your problem. Could also be a combination of multiple apps.

Otherwise, it could also be a bug in CC itself. I have seen comments like this from other users in the past, where analyze incorrectly estimates the numbers of files/size of files removed.

Even if the problem does end up being a running app, that is still a bug in CC, because it is listing files that it actually won't clean out, unless of course the apps are shut down first. That should be looked into/fixed.

1. When I went into MSCONFIG I disabled ONLY the startup processes for running apps.

2. I shouldn't have to disable my running apps to run CCleaner. I run CCleaner every time

I get off the Internet (500 times a day) I just hate people who put stuff on my computer

unasked.

3. My virus program is NOD32(ESET)

4. Haven't got the error since I started this thread.

Thanks again for the help.

JPS

You don't need to disable your startup applications do run Ccleaner. Just use task manager to make sure that Firefox or whatever browser you use is closed.

You still haven't given us the information what kind of files are in these 600MB - are they Internet temp files, Windows temp files, settings, what?

You don't need to disable your startup applications do run Ccleaner. Just use task manager to make sure that Firefox or whatever browser you use is closed.

You still haven't given us the information what kind of files are in these 600MB - are they Internet temp files, Windows temp files, settings, what?

I am using Internet Explorer 6.0.

I shouldn't have to close anything.

CCleaner hasn't failed since I started this thread. I will try to get a screen shot when it

does fail. This failure only occurs infrequently.

Thanks,

JPS

OK, next step: can you also post the report after cleaning, so we can see which files are not cleaned?

No, I did not save the listing of what was deleted. Next time this happens

I will save both things.

Thanks,

JPS

Hi,

I've got the information you requested. I'll send two messages -

The first one with the 600+m.

The second one with what was deleted.

Since the last message I sent, I disabled The Kodak Camera software

from the startup procedure. Obviously it didn't make any difference.

All said, CCleaner is a GREAT product.

Thanks,

JPS

Hi,

This is the 2nd Message with what CCleaner deleted.

Thanks,

JPS

jpslog.txt

jpslog2.txt

jpslog.txt

jpslog2.txt

In the CCleaner->Options->Advanced, there is a setting "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours", that's probably the reason ccleaner doesn't delete everything sometimes, you should leave it enabled.

I never use the "Analyze" button anymore, I just press the "Run Cleaner" button.

Also I always save a backup .reg file if there are more than 5 issues, when I "Scan for Issues".

CCleaner works great, i've never had a problem with ccleaner, best cleaner i've ever used.

In the CCleaner->Options->Advanced, there is a setting "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours", that's probably the reason ccleaner doesn't delete everything sometimes, you should leave it enabled.

I never use the "Analyze" button anymore, I just press the "Run Cleaner" button.

Also I always save a backup .reg file if there are more than 5 issues, when I "Scan for Issues".

CCleaner works great, i've never had a problem with ccleaner, best cleaner i've ever used.

When I got CCleaner "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours" was checked.

I unchecked it and ran Analyze. It came up with 600+ files. I then ran CCleaner and it deleted

all of them. I hope that solves the problem.

Thanks for the help.

JPS