Convert from CD-ROM to DVD-ROM

krit86lr

I have too many questions so I'm bringing the PM discussion to the board. :)

Question for me: Back to the DVD thing. I have a "LG CD-RW CED-8083B", and a "MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-594". Do I need a totally new cdrom, and if so how do I choose one? Will it automatically support 2 drives (so that I can use both trays)?

There was one other thing that you said needed to be purchased, but I don't remember what is was...help please?

Yes, I'm a n00b...no problems admitting it!

Sadly, you do need to purchase a new drive if you want to view/burn your own DVDs. Any drive that says "CD-RW" can read CD-ROMs, as well as both read and write CD-Rs and CD-RWs. But any drive that just says "CD-ROM", or "DVD-ROM" can only read disks, and not burn them. ROM = Read Only Memory.

Your LG CD-RW drive can read and burn CDs, and your MATSHITA CD-ROM drive can only read CDs, but not burn them. Neither of these drives can read/write DVDs.

So, to watch a Video DVD or view the files on a DVD-ROM, you would need a DVD-ROM drive. If you want to burn your own movies or backup files onto a DVD-R/DVD-RW, you would need a DVD-RW drive.

There are also other DVD formats, such as DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, etc. If you want, I can explain those to you too, but I didn't want to make this PM too miserably long!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I have too many questions so I'm bringing the PM discussion to the board. :)

What other questions do you have?

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

What other questions do you have?

Sorry I was getting to that, but replied to a PM first. First of all, I am dying because I didn't know what ROM stood for (or maybe I forgot). lMAO FYI: I truly am a n00b...just started learning about computers about 4 months ago (I know nothing about hardware) so please don't assume that I know too much in this thread. ;)

So DVD-ROM replaces CD-ROM, and acts the same but with more features/functions?

Since I have 2 trays do I need to buy 2 DVD-ROMs? Maybe one -R, and the other -RW or both -RW for that matter.

Which DVD formats are the best in your opinion, and why? :P

[Edit] One more thing. I'm planning on buying a new mobo soon, so do I need to worry about compatibility, or should /can I buy one with a DVD... installed already? I'm not sure how that would effect the cost.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Sorry I was getting to that, but replied to a PM first. First of all, I am dying because I didn't know what ROM stood for (or maybe I forgot). lMAO FYI: I truly am a n00b...just started learning about computers about 4 months ago (I know nothing about hardware) so please don't assume that I know too much in this thread. ;)

So DVD-ROM replaces CD-ROM, and acts the same but with more features/functions?

Since I have 2 trays do I need to buy 2 DVD-ROMs? Maybe one -R, and the other -RW or both -RW for that matter.

Which DVD formats are the best in your opinion, and why? :P

Any DVD reader/writer on Earth is, thankfully, backwards compatible with CDs. So, if you have a DVD-ROM drive, it will not only read DVDs, but also read CDs as well. If you have a DVD-RW drive, it will not only read/write DVDs, but also read/write CDs as well.

Now, to make things a little more confusing (:lol:), there are also "combo" drives, which can read/write CDs, but only read DVDs. So, a DVD-RW drive can always burn both CDs and DVDs, but a CD-RW drive can not necessarily burn or even read DVDs (although it can always read/burn CDs). If you have a combo drive, it will show up as CD-RW/DVD-ROM, which means it can read/write CDs, but only read DVDs.

You do not have to buy 2 DVD drives. You can if you want, but it isn't necessary. The only advantages of having multiple optical drives is:

1. Longer drive lives - you could have one drive that you use strictly for reading, and one that you use strictly for writing, and

2. You can burn disks faster - one drive can be used to buffer a disk's contents onto your HD, while the other drive burns the info from the HD to a new disk; if you only had one drive, you would have to put in the disk you want to copy, buffer the entire thing onto your HD, and then put in a blank disk, and burn the info from the HD to the blank disk

As far as DVD formats go, this article will probably explain it better than I can.

EDIT: The only thing you will have to worry about when it comes to getting a new drive for your new mobo is what interface it will use. Most new mobos support both Parallel ATA and Serial ATA interfaces, so you simply need to pick a drive that is either PATA or SATA. PATA is an older, slower, less expensive format, while SATA is a newer, faster, and more expensive interface. Since your mobo will support both, the only thing you will pay more for is the drive itself.

Also, you can have both PATA and SATA drives going at the same time, so if you want to keep your old PATA drives, and still install a shiny new SATA drive, you can do that. Although there is the possibility that your PATAs might get jealous and rebel...

ding, ding!

Okay, you answered another question that I had. The Device Type of each drive says "DVD/CD-ROM drives" which was confusing me.

Can I keep the cdrom drive that I have now, and just add a DVD-RW drive? hmmm Am I getting out of control now? :o

I'll check out your link now. Thanks for your help! :D

Can I keep the cdrom drive that I have now, and just add a DVD-RW drive? hmmm Am I getting out of control now? :o

You sure can! No need to spend a ton of money now, as you can mix and match to your hearts desire when it comes to optical drives.

Also, I edited my last post after I read your edit, so you can check that out if you didn't already. :)

ding, ding!

If you have a combo drive, it will show up as CD-RW/DVD-ROM, which means it can read/write CDs, but only read DVDs.

hmmm So I should be able to read DVDs?

EDIT: The only thing you will have to worry about when it comes to getting a new drive for your new mobo is what interface it will use. Most new mobos support both Parallel ATA and Serial ATA interfaces, so you simply need to pick a drive that is either PATA or SATA. PATA is an older, slower, less expensive format, while SATA is a newer, faster, and more expensive interface. Since your mobo will support both, the only thing you will pay more for is the drive itself.

Also, you can have both PATA and SATA drives going at the same time, so if you want to keep your old PATA drives, and still install a shiny new SATA drive, you can do that. Although there is the possibility that your PATAs might get jealous and rebel...

Wh..hwhaha.w.. wha? *confused* (Zaphire quote)

PATA/SATA - You're speaking gibberish for gods sake! :lol:

I'll look it up. Thanks again.

hmmm So I should be able to read DVDs?

You listed that your drives were "LG CD-RW CED-8083B", and a "MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-594", so unless you can find "DVD" listed somewhere else, they won't be DVD compatible.

Wh..hwhaha.w.. wha? *confused* (Zaphire quote)

PATA/SATA - You're speaking gibberish for gods sake! :lol:

I'll look it up. Thanks again.

PATA = Parallel ATA (the older format with the wide, gray ribbon cable)

SATA = Serial ATA (the newer format with a skinny cable)

Sorry, I love my acronyms! :D Acronyms FTW!

ding, ding!

You listed that your drives were "LG CD-RW CED-8083B", and a "MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-594", so unless you can find "DVD" listed somewhere else, they won't be DVD compatible.

I don't think that they are DVD compatible. I just want them to be. :D You look.

hardware3ck.th.jpg

Sorry, I love my acronyms! :D Acronyms FTW!

I have PATA in this computer.

I don't think that they are DVD compatible. I just want them to be. :D You look.

hardware3ck.th.jpg

Hmm... For some reason, when I view the picture, it is just a white screen. Is the link wrong, or is it just me? My Internet has been a little goofy lately...

I have PATA in this computer.

You mean you have PATA drives, or your motherboard supports only PATA, or both? I'm assuming both, as you said it is an old mobo, and SATA drives are (fairly) new.

Regardless, your old PATA drives will work fine in a new system, as well as more PATA drives, or even SATA drives, if you choose to get those instead.

ding, ding!

There's a new link. Sorry the first one was defective, had to edit. Now it works! :D

That's not what I wanted to hear.... ;)

You mean you have PATA drives, or your motherboard supports only PATA, or both? I'm assuming both, as you said it is an old mobo, and SATA drives are (fairly) new.

Regardless, your old PATA drives will work fine in a new system, as well as more PATA drives, or even SATA drives, if you choose to get those instead.

I only know that I have the PATA cable. It's hard to miss. I've fiddled around in my tower a little, but only know a little.

That's not what I wanted to hear.... ;)

I only know that I have the PATA cable. It's hard to miss. I've fiddled around in my tower a little, but only know a little.

Nope, definite lack of DVDage. :(

The only reason it says DVD/CD-ROM drives is because that is the category. It doesn't actually mean that you have a DVD drive, it just means that if you did, that is where it would go. So a-shopping you must go!

And no better way to learn than fiddling! I fiddled several computers to death before I figured out what not to do to a computer.

ding, ding!

Nope, definite lack of DVDage. :(

The only reason it says DVD/CD-ROM drives is because that is the category. It doesn't actually mean that you have a DVD drive, it just means that if you did, that is where it would go. So a-shopping you must go!

I love a good reason to shop! :D

And no better way to learn than fiddling! I fiddled several computers to death before I figured out what not to do to a computer.

I'm trying not to learn the hard way. So far I have only fiddled with help/assistance/supervision. Yeah, all of the above. ;) So far I've practiced taking things apart, and putting back together. But I haven't explored what the things actually ARE yet. :)

Baby Steps

Thanks again lokoike. It's 2:35am. I'm out~

Thanks again lokoike. It's 2:35am. I'm out~

Yeah, me too. My brain is turning into kreamed korn. Sleepy time...

ding, ding!

• Moderators

If you need a DVD drive right at this very moment and can't wait I'd suggest going with a DVD Reader Writer drive because the prices are relatively good, either shop locally or online.

I would however go with a drive that supports writing of both + and - discs; DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW hence you won't be stuck with just using one of the two. If you get a drive that supports writing of both + and - you're drive won't be disc format handicapped from the get-go.

If you can however wait, wait for the next incarnation of DVD that will have allot more capacity, etc., however the price will be the deciding factor when they are released as they'll most likely be expensive.

If you need a DVD drive right at this very moment and can't wait I'd suggest going with a DVD Reader Writer drive because the prices are relatively good, either shop locally or online.

I would however go with a drive that supports writing of both + and - discs; DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW hence you won't be stuck with just using one of the two. If you get a drive that supports writing of both + and - you're drive won't be disc format handicapped from the get-go.

Can I get a DVD+RW/DVD-RW combo? (do they exist ;) )

If you can however wait, wait for the next incarnation of DVD that will have allot more capacity, etc., however the price will be the deciding factor when they are released as they'll most likely be expensive.

How long would I be waiting for the next DVD? What's the ballpark figure of expensive? Thanks for the feedback!

Can I get a DVD+RW/DVD-RW combo? (do they exist ;) )

How long would I be waiting for the next DVD? What's the ballpark figure of expensive? Thanks for the feedback!

Luckily, you would have a hard time finding a DVD burner that doesn't support both - and + disks! Support for both types of media is practically a standard, as is support for dual layer (DL) DVDs. The only format that isn't supported by many burners is DVD-RAM. The format never really took off, and if you find a burner that doesn't support it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The typical new DVD burner writes most formats at 16x, supports -, +, and DL, and will probably set you back anywhere from $30-100, depending on what company you buy from. But in the $50 range, you will find tons of excellent DVD burners full of features that will last you a long time, so expect to spend about that much.

EDIT: Here are some drives you can look at that may fit your needs. They are all DVD burners in the $30-75 range, both PATA and SATA.

Also, this particular site (Newegg.com) is great for any computer hardware. Their prices are good, they deliver fast, and they don't sell junk. I've built several computers using only parts from their site, and have no complaints.

ding, ding!

Luckily, you would have a hard time finding a DVD burner that doesn't support both - and + disks! Support for both types of media is practically a standard, as is support for dual layer (DL) DVDs. The only format that isn't supported by many burners is DVD-RAM. The format never really took off, and if you find a burner that doesn't support it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The typical new DVD burner writes most formats at 16x, supports -, +, and DL, and will probably set you back anywhere from $30-100, depending on what company you buy from. But in the $50 range, you will find tons of excellent DVD burners full of features that will last you a long time, so expect to spend about that much.

EDIT: Here are some drives you can look at that may fit your needs. They are all DVD burners in the $30-75 range, both PATA and SATA.

Also, this particular site (Newegg.com) is great for any computer hardware. Their prices are good, they deliver fast, and they don't sell junk. I've built several computers using only parts from their site, and have no complaints.

Okay, thanks. I'll look into it on Friday. I have a lot of tests this week. :P

Okay, thanks. I'll look into it on Friday. I have a lot of tests this week. :P

What! :blink:

Are you trying to tell me that something as trivial as your education takes precedence over your computer?!! Why K, I thought more highly of you than that! :P

j/k Hope they go well! Tests FTL...

ding, ding!

What! :blink:

Are you trying to tell me that something as trivial as your education takes precedence over your computer?!! Why K, I thought more highly of you than that! :P

j/k Hope they go well! Tests FTL...

FTL??? The neuroscience test will be fun, but not philosophy........

FTL??? The neuroscience test will be fun, but not philosophy........

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!

You were joking, weren't you?

ding, ding!

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!

You were joking, weren't you?

Nope!

• Moderators

How long would I be waiting for the next DVD? What's the ballpark figure of expensive?

Don't know, however it's "supposedly later this year," "but probably not." I don't know what the price would be therefore I won't speculate, although from what I've heard even the blank discs are supposedly going to be expensive too.

Nope!

Your profs must love you to death. Now I know who to hire next time I need someone to write me a paper. :lol: j/k

ding, ding!

Your profs must love you to death.

Yep. So far I have 3 recommendations from Directors of Research, and I'm working on my 4th. :D Good Times!