MGS V: Phantom Pain

rridgely

• Moderators

Anyone else looking forward to this game?

Some of the big review sites like gamespot, ign, ect are giving it perfect scores. I have it preordered on steam and I cannot wait to get started. I was super let down by the prequel game Ground Zeroes but from the reviews everything I didn't like about it(mostly the feeling trapped in a small area) isn't an issue. I just wish this came out in like July or June so I could have played it over the summer! I'll probably try to sneak in a few play sessions over labor day though! 

Reviews:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-review/1900-6416224/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/24/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review

• Moderators

You already know I am as we're both MGS fans, and that's the one MGS game I've been waiting for with an open world. I'll be getting it on PS4.

I wonder if it will be the last Kojima game with Konami, see here why. I'd love for Rockstar Games to hire Kojima for GTA VI.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I really hope kojima and konami work something out. MGS V is a great game from what I've read/played. I downloaded it today and I played through the first 4 missions. I"m playing on pc and the graphics are really impressive. The story is strange so far but thats every MGS game. 

I really like the controls on this game. Much more modern than the previous games, and snake has a lot more options to complete the missions.I'm so glad this came out before labor day! I know what I'm doing with my extra day off. 

• Moderators

I haven't played console games since Tomb Raider 5 on PS1. Growing up happens.

I'm gonna be 44 very soon this month, and I'm still a gamer. Gamer 4 Life, been playing since the 1970s! It really has nothing to do with "growing up", it's just a form of entertainment, and a form of entertainment that's kicking traditional network television in its nether regions and stomping on it when it's down.

• Moderators

That sucks. I have quiet on my base but I cannot use her on missions yet. 

Even with that bug, this game is pretty fantastic. I'm sure they will release an update to fix it shortly but in the meantime don't use quiet on mission 29 or 42. (I'm not even close to that far in the game and I'm 10 hours in.) 

On a side note I figured the reviewers were exaggerating the length of this game. Now I don't think so. I'm 10 hours in and I'm only on mission 10 or 11. There are also tons of side ops I havent completed too.

This may be the only game I buy the rest of this year besides Rise of the Tomb Raider because I simply wont be able to finish it. 

• Moderators

It isn't good.

My PS4 copy I received on Saturday but it had to be exchanged by Amazon.com. I opened the shipping package to find the case was crushed and bent like some FedEx idiot had stepped on it or was wearing it as a shoe. I wasn't about to take the plastic wrapping off to also find a broken game disc. I should get the replacement tomorrow on Thursday.

• Moderators

I have quiet on my base but I cannot use her on missions yet.

That got me curious so (not being a gamer - yep there are a couple of us left) I looked the game up and - Damn - if that's what the characters are wearing these days, I may have to get more involved.

(or should a say, what the characters aren't wearing these days!)

A bit of You Tube searching finds a whole bunch of Quiets' more 'alluring' clips.

I take it she is doing to game sales what Lara Croft did 20 years ago.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

That got me curious so (not being a gamer - yep there are a couple of us left) I looked the game up and - Damn - if that's what the characters are wearing these days, I may have to get more involved.

(or should a say, what the characters aren't wearing these days!)

A bit of You Tube searching finds a whole bunch of Quiets' more 'alluring' clips.

I take it she is doing to game sales what Lara Croft did 20 years ago.

Yeah shes basically wearing overalls and a bikini top. I think there are story reasons for this get up though. (although sex definitely sells.)

One thing you need to know about metal gear is that its basically like an 80's action movie. Really over the top in all regards but it also tries to get you thinking about big ideas around war. Its interesting, strange, and very fun so far. 

• Moderators

It isn't good.

My PS4 copy I received on Saturday but it had to be exchanged by Amazon.com. I opened the shipping package to find the case was crushed and bent like some FedEx idiot had stepped on it or was wearing it as a shoe. I wasn't about to take the plastic wrapping off to also find a broken game disc. I should get the replacement tomorrow on Thursday.

That really sucks. I have bought tons of stuff off amazon and never had anything arrive in that condition. Just luck of the draw I guess. 

• Moderators

Got the PS4 disc and I've played it for about 8 hours straight. I really didn't care for the very beginning, but started to enjoy it more when set loose on the battlefield. Can't say I care for the new weapon/item creation system as it seems too fiddly and time-consuming and I'd much rather find new weapons intact that don't need made right on the battlefield.

• Moderators

The hospital scene was odd. It did pick up right after ground zeros but the rest of the story I've seen so far could have been done without it. 

I don't mind the weapon creation too much as it seems like you always have an abundance of money. I've been fultoning everything I see so I have actually started to unlock quite a bit of weapons and even a sneaking suit.

• Moderators

I've been fultoning everything I see so I have actually started to unlock quite a bit of weapons and even a sneaking suit.

I found that annoying that you get that ability after visiting the mother base, so I re-did the mission where you rescue Miller to use that. Ended up finding a puppy and sent it back to the mother base.

I hope the enemies get more difficult, because what I've seen so far is too easy.

• Moderators

So my wife was using my pc to play the sims 4 and it crashed. I turned it back on and graphics card isn't being detected anymore. Took the card out and there is a white corrosion like material on some of the capacitors on the back of the card. I'm going to have to get it replaced, luckily its still under warranty but now I cant play metal gear for a few days. :( 

Never done an RMA with XFX before, hopefully they are quick. 

• Moderators

Never! I'm a smart man, I dont start fights that can be avoided.

However I will never forget about 6 years ago when we were still dating and she borrowed my new(to me) car that I just got from carmax. She took it to a bank and the window fell into the door. She called me super upset because she thought I was going to be mad, I was more shocked that she was so upset and to this day I always take the blame when stuff breaks. :lol: