Persistent "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer" notification due to CCleaner

On Windows 10 Pro, I kept getting a message in the notification center that "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer" even though it runs automatically. After some digging, I found this reddit thread that had the solution: disabling the Windows Defender checkbox in CCleaner. One user suggested CCleaner might be deleting a log file that tells Windows Defender when it last did a scan.

I did that and no longer receive the notification, so the CCleaner team might want to fix this behavior going forward.

• Moderators

This is a well known and old issue, however both the user community and the developers are happy you took the time to come here.

I can't remember which item that is cleaned by that entry should be excluded but I'm sure some other user/member will come soon and remind us.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Ah, I did do a search but didn't see other posts for some reason.

The interesting thing is that I only have this issue on my work computer, which is running Windows 10 Pro. On my personal computer, which is running plain Windows 10, the Windows Defender checkbox has always been selected but I've never seen the notification mentioned in my original post.