old topic

jkrhu

• Moderators
@FidoSysop -

Why are you about to go back to Win7? 

Let's keep this thread on the subject thanks, this can be discussed in private or at the running windows 10 thread in the software board

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hello.

My name is Jake, and I'm a little confused about Microsoft's new browser - Edge. It's really great for me in many ways, but what bothers me is the amount of temporary data stored by Edge on my HDD. Every day it's storing a big amount of files - from 5-7GB to 10+ GB. That shocked me a bit, because I've been using Chrome all the time before Windows 10 was released, and the database of Chrome was a lot smaller even when surfing the web for weeks without cleaning. Why is that happening on Edge? Should I stop using it and wait for some optimisations made by Microsoft? I'm worried about the amount of writes/reads it does to my HDD.

Where is it storing the data on your computer?

Are you clearing the history from Edge before closing the browser?

(Its the right hand side top of page , three lines (hamburger) near star, then click on the clock like symbol)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Where is it storing the data on your computer?

Are you clearing the history from Edge before closing the browser?

(Its the right hand side top of page , three lines (hamburger) near star, then click on the clock like symbol)

I mean the 10+GB of temporary files was showing on CCleaner when I was analysing and cleaning Edge at the end of the day. I was shocked, but continued surfing the web with Edge for some time, and every night cleaning the temporary files, because the size of it was over 10GB every time. I know Edge has its own way of cleaning it within the browser, and that does the work faster, but it's still so much data. I just wanted to ask if that's normal for it to store so much, why is it happening and if it's just some kind of bug within CCleaner to show wrong amount of data.

Do you mean the internet cache, just wondering cause CCleaner does not list temporary files specifically for Edge on my end. Although I think it's the same thing just worded differently.

It isn't normal that's for sure. I do a lot of browsing in Edge as well, but my internet cache rarely ever goes over a few megabytes, or at least that's what CCleaner says. I think there is a bug in Windows 10 in general related to this, as even disk cleanup will not clean temporary internet files or is not reading them properly. I have noticed in disk cleanup my temporary internet files there have been growing, about close to 100MB now. No matter how many times I run disk cleanup it will not show those files as cleaned. I also have the bug where CCleanup will skip cleaning Edge.

Sometimes I can get around it by only analyzing and then right clicking each Edge directory and cleaning them individually that way, but for the most part it will not clean it.

Windows 10 is a data miner for Microsoft.

It's sending every email or web page you access to Microsoft. I'm about ready to go back to W7.

This is true, but you can turn all of this stuff off. Before you even install Windows 10 or during the upgrade process, it asks you all of this and what to allow given you did not choose to express install. If you choose customize instead, it will give you the choice to turn all of this off.

You can also do it within Windows 10. Go into settings, from the start menu, and go to privacy. You can turn it all off there. Reddit also has a detailed post about all the things you should turn off if you're concerned about your privacy in their Windows 10 section, and guides you through the process. It really isn't that hard, but I can see it being a problem for the typical computer user who doesn't read anything during the install process. Reddit also had a good community of techies who have dissected Windows and tracked all the information it is sending, if you are that concerned.