Converted to Outpost Pro!

Ultimate Predator

You're now the third one I know whom has converted. :)

Okay, one question, and it's a big one:

How well does it actually protect you?

So far I have heard unanimously that Outpost is faster and uses less resources than ZA, but is it as aggressive in doing its job? To me, that is the single most important reason I still use ZAP. Since I have installed ZA Pro, I have literally not gotten a single virus or spyware/adware. NOT ONE. I could honestly delete my av/antispyware and not lose any sleep at night, but I don't just in case... :D

If Outpost lets in even the smallest malicious piece of code, that is enough to totally turn me off, and so far, ZAP is literally perfect in that aspect.

So basically, can any long-time Outpost users (read: Tarun :P) tell me if they ever have anything unwanted get through? This basically makes or breaks my decision to switch over, so I want to be absolutely positive on this one. I do not take my PC security/health lightly.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

I do not take my PC security/health lightly.

I don't either. But with software-based firewalls they can be disabled, have files deleted and be silently removed if someone crafts a malware that can do that, they can also be circumvented. Which is the reason I'll be getting a hardware firewall in the very near future and use it in conjunction with a software-based firewall.

• Moderators

I had way too many problems with ZA therefore I don't use ZA at all anymore, and I shredded the installer that I had on my system. :P

I dont know, ZA just never gives me any problems. Even when I put it on other comps it always seems to do fine.

I do agree that a hardware firewall are better, but Outpost seems to be brilliant. It questions all the things that ZA does, but doesn't slow down the internet as much, and has some very useful plugins (automatically scans for spyware in process' that do something "suspicious").

Just tried Outpost on Shields Up, passed perfectly, so it seems to be a lot better than ZA.

I do agree that a hardware firewall are better, but Outpost seems to be brilliant. It questions all the things that ZA does, but doesn't slow down the internet as much, and has some very useful plugins (automatically scans for spyware in process' that do something "suspicious").

Just tried Outpost on Shields Up, passed perfectly, so it seems to be a lot better than ZA.

But then... dont u get that werid blue screen error? and i thought outpost wasnt even made for win xp :mellow: Last time i tried.. i had that blue screen error

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

• Moderators

and i thought outpost wasnt even made for win xp

I assume your thinking of the old freeware one which isn't intended for WinXP, however people use it anyways. It wouldn't make much sense for them to have a commercial program that doesn't fully support Microsoft's current OS.

Okay, one question, and it's a big one:

How well does it actually protect you?

So far I have heard unanimously that Outpost is faster and uses less resources than ZA, but is it as aggressive in doing its job? To me, that is the single most important reason I still use ZAP. Since I have installed ZA Pro, I have literally not gotten a single virus or spyware/adware. NOT ONE. I could honestly delete my av/antispyware and not lose any sleep at night, but I don't just in case... :D

If Outpost lets in even the smallest malicious piece of code, that is enough to totally turn me off, and so far, ZAP is literally perfect in that aspect.

So basically, can any long-time Outpost users (read: Tarun :P) tell me if they ever have anything unwanted get through? This basically makes or breaks my decision to switch over, so I want to be absolutely positive on this one. I do not take my PC security/health lightly.

It will alert you to EVERYTHING that tries to access the Internet. The lists are very easy to configure and their forums have rules with presets as well. You can Allow Once, Block Once, Or.. well. Here, I'll PM you a screenshot of Ventrilo trying to connect to my server.

I assume your thinking of the old freeware one which isn't intended for WinXP, however people use it anyways. It wouldn't make much sense for them to have a commercial program that doesn't fully support Microsoft's current OS.

So the freeware version doesn't play nice with WinXP? :(

I wanted to test out that before I jumped head-first into buying the commercial version...

Guess I'll have to do some more thinking on this. I don't want to shell out and then end up not liking it as much, which may or may not be the case.

Regardless, thank you for the screenshot, Tarun. The GUI seems nice and easy-to-use from that shot. I like my firewalls to make a lot of rucus, at least at first. I like to customize what it can and cannot let in, and it appears that Outpost does that, which I think is good.

Is there any way to get a commercial trial, or do I have to use the buggy free version?

ding, ding!

30 day free trial of full version is available.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/index.php

Scroll down to the bottom.

Ah, most splendid! You are the shiz, CaPMan, and don't let krit86lr tell you any different!

ding, ding!

Hope you like it.

I am krit86lr's hero if I remember rightly, can't remember why though.

Well supposedly I'm her "Rock Star", but that didn't stop her from insinuating that I like country music*, so there is no telling what sorts of terrible things she will say about you in the future!

She's just a sneaky lil' booger. :P

* and yes, K, I am still salty about that, and will probably continue to be so until the end of time, so don't even try to redeem yourself

ding, ding!

So what's your favourites, Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers?

*capman wonders if they are Country & Western singers, he thinks so*

I always thought krit seemed like a cute thing with knowledge.

That should stop her being horrible to me.

O gee, way to stick up for me there, Cappy boy. :angry:

O, what's this? A PM from CaPMan? Saying that K is a total n00b with a lame avatar? Ooo, I better not let her know how he really feels about her! *hush hush*

heh, that should keep her off my back for a while

lokoike rubs his hands together with glee at his brilliant idea

ding, ding!

Ah, most splendid! You are the shiz, CaPMan, and don't let krit86lr tell you any different!

I luuuvvv Capman. :) He has been my hero on 2 occassions now. CapMan don't let Lokoike rattle you. And how did I become apart of this thread? <_< Did I miss something?

Well supposedly I'm her "Rock Star", but that didn't stop her from insinuating that I like country music*, so there is no telling what sorts of terrible things she will say about you in the future!

She's just a sneaky lil' booger. :P

* and yes, K, I am still salty about that, and will probably continue to be so until the end of time, so don't even try to redeem yourself

:lol: I remember posting that, but I don't remember what thread it was in.

You can come out of the closet Lokoike. We'll still respect you. ;)

When, and why would I be horrible to you??? You don't need to sugar me up (although it never hurts)! :D

hijacked

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

:lol: I remember posting that, but I don't remember what thread it was in.

The underlined text in my post that says "insinuating that I like country music" is actually a link to that thread.

You can come out of the closet Lokoike. We'll still respect you. ;)

Grrr, K. Grrr.

When, and why would I be horrible to you??? You don't need to sugar me up (although it never hurts)! :D

Don't listen to her, Cap! It's one of her tricks!!!! :P

hijacked

Indeed. And I didn't even try to do it this time! :lol:

ding, ding!

Hmm, now I have to decide then, do I listen to her or you?

I think the female wins. :)

Now I am just as guilty of hijacking this thread.

:wub:

@lokoike - nice try buddie, but I win :D CapMan knows who the trouble maker is around here ;).

O gee, way to stick up for me there, Cappy boy. :angry:

O, what's this? A PM from CaPMan? Saying that K is a total n00b with a lame avatar? Ooo, I better not let her know how he really feels about her! *hush hush*

heh, that should keep her off my back for a while

lokoike rubs his hands together with glee at his brilliant idea

Trouble....maker (hmmmmm brilliant is a little optimistic don't you think?) :lol:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I was hoping to switch to outpost pro a few weeks back, i completely uninstalled ZA and installed outpost pro. Everything went smooth apart from the 3 blue screens i had in the first day, this followed for a few more days until i got rid of it.