Lost DVD Drives

Mudd

I had big problems recently. Finally got the PC to reboot and most all is well except: Neither Drive D nor E will show up. They show on the Device Manager but with trouble, yellow !. I've pulled the plugs, rebooted, then off, put the plugs back, still no drives show. I've tried to reinstall the drivers and get notified that the drivers are already installed.

Would certainly appreciate a hint to get this working again.

XP MCE Edition

3.2 CPU

1GB RAM

Lite-On DVD

NEC DVD.

Also when opening My Computer where the drives are missing, it shows a "A Drive, a Floppy." I don't have a Floppy, never did.

Mudd

Mudd

I had big problems recently. Finally got the PC to reboot and most all is well except: Neither Drive D nor E will show up. They show on the Device Manager but with trouble, yellow !. I've pulled the plugs, rebooted, then off, put the plugs back, still no drives show. I've tried to reinstall the drivers and get notified that the drivers are already installed.

Would certainly appreciate a hint to get this working again.

XP MCE Edition

3.2 CPU

1GB RAM

Lite-On DVD

NEC DVD.

Also when opening My Computer where the drives are missing, it shows a "A Drive, a Floppy." I don't have a Floppy, never did.

Mudd

that happened to me once. i went to device manager and enabled the drives then they showed up. its worth a try...

I tried that, no luck. I've removed the two drives show in the Device Manager, rebooted and they come back but with the Yellow !. Tried to disable and repair. The "driver are installed but you have problems" appears. I know I have problems, but can't find the solution.

Cannot roll back the driver because there are no previous drives install. Can't install a new driver as the drivers are on the Windows that were installed. This is really a puzzle for me.

Mudd

I tried that, no luck. I've removed the two drives show in the Device Manager, rebooted and they come back but with the Yellow !. Tried to disable and repair. The "driver are installed but you have problems" appears. I know I have problems, but can't find the solution.

Cannot roll back the driver because there are no previous drives install. Can't install a new driver as the drivers are on the Windows that were installed. This is really a puzzle for me.

Further, did a Google search for the problem, went to a Forum Post, saw where others were having the same problem. One of the solutions was: Go to a certain Microsoft Page, edit the Registry to a designated entry and remove the "upper and lower Filter." Don't know much about the Registry but did what it suggested. Rebooted and the Drives are back and device manager shows no problems.

But, No disc are recognized. Not old one with data, not new one that are blank. Get a message, "Please insert a disc in Drive **." Did that but no disk recognized.

Going back to Google and look for help. Anyone that has an idea please post.

Thanks

Mudd

After using CCleaner, Windows XP don't see my CD and DVD.

the solution was :

erase the lower and upper key in the registry and re install easy cd creator (my burning sofware). Now it's fine, but i won't to use ccleaner wihout having any registry backup.

Here is the recommandations i followed :

in the registry fond :

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right side, delete the keys UpperFilter and LowerFilter

in the left side find and delete, if they exist he next keys

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

restart your computer.

Thank's

Hi Mudd,

From Microsoft XP Resource Kit:

Error Code 41 - Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Even if the device was not removed, you may want to remove it and try the complete uninstall / re-install.

From Windows XP Knowledge Base:

CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41 after you remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

Although this is specific to removing Easy CD Creator, others cite this as a general fix for Code 41.

As a last resort. You can do a repair installation for Windows. It will keep your programs, and files...but you you will need to reinstall all of your Microsoft Updates.

Good luck! :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Thank you for that information. That's what I found on the Google search except for the "Delete so and so if they are there" which they weren't.

I too think CC Cleaner was the culprit in this. Last Sun evening when I usually clean up things for a fresh start Monday, I ran the CCleaner, used the Registry part and there were several things. Looked them over closely and saw nothing that was unfamiliar so ran that. I didn't make a backup because for months now I have used that and never had to restore something so quit using it. My mistake.

Monday morning when I tried to start the PC was when all hh** broke out. To shorten this, I call the Dell people and for two hours they tried to find out what was going on and couldn't. They are supposed to send a Tech to my place, hopefully Monday. Don't know what he'll do.

If you are familiar with Dell, there is a Dell/Symantec Restore program that comes with the later model PC and it reverts all things back to the day the machine left the factory. That doesn't work anymore, (since the All He**).

Forgot to add that nothing is changed. The drives do appear now but both refuse to acknowledge that a disc is in the drive.

I can't do a reinstall because I don't have a CD Installation disc. I do have a DVD with the Window MCE on it but this Dell won't boot to a DVD. Dell Tech (by way of phone) talked me through the process of trying to make it go but no luck. I have no Floppy Drive, so no Window Start up Disc.

Nearly every time I start, I have to select F1 and then it ask which windows I want to start, XP Pro or XP MCE. I have never had Pro on here, only MCE which I understand is PRO with MFE embedded, less a couple other Pro things.

After that, it usually goes to what you would get when selecting F8 on the PC. I choose "Last Good Configuration" as that's the only selection that will to to windows.

So if the Dell Tech comes sober, maybe he can repair all. Hope so and this time I'm fortunate that I select the extended warranty.

Mudd

• Moderators

Hope you get your drives fixed Mudd.

I had a problem a few months back when my computer would refuse to accept that I had put a disk in a drive, ended up uninstalling Nero 6 which fixed it funnily enough.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hope you get your drives fixed Mudd.

I had a problem a few months back when my computer would refuse to accept that I had put a disk in a drive, ended up uninstalling Nero 6 which fixed it funnily enough.

I tried the entire weekend to find a solution. Failed as I expected. The Dell guy is supposed to call for an appointment with me as soon as he get parts that Dell is supposedly shipping. Have no idea what it is. Should be today, hopefully.

I have the older version of CD Creator by Roxio. Had to update them with XP. I like most older things that worked for me. Maybe I like older stuff because I like me!!

Thanks for the note.

Mudd