Slow doesn't even begin to describe it. Glacial would be closer.

djm

It all started by reading an online article about slowing PC performance.  Get and use CCleaner it said.

Here is the deal- I am actually running it again right now and it has been HOURS.  Watching it run and I can see each and every file it is going though and none of the files takes less than half a second to scan.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit.  The CCleaner v is 5.08.5308 and all settings were left alone.

I only got suspicious the FIRST time I tried to run it earlier today and it was taking FOREVER to scan.  I looked up YouTube videos, granted they are ALL years old, and the scans take mere seconds to complete.

I read a few comments online to run it in Windows Safe Mode.  Same thing.  SSSSLLOOOOOWWWW.

The scan has been running right now for over 3 hours and the progress bar is still at 0%.  It IS running and I can see the file names as it goes through them.

What am I missing to make CCleaner actually work as promised?

Only the first time.  Shut down every instance of browsers including the umteen instances of Chrome that run whether or not the program is even open. But sure- I realized that it made no difference whether a browser was actually open or not.  Running now for close to 4 hours and just got to 25%.

After all that was finished I hit "Run Cleaner".   8368.313 seconds later (just under 2 1/2 hours), I gained 35,868 MB.  Worked just fine, I guess.  But WHY did it take so LONG???  Anyone?

At least 5 times my antivirus alarm went off as it was scanning and quarantined those files.

Sounds like you have a heavily infected system that's causing it to run slowly.

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

It deleted 35 GB, I'd say that takes a long time (especially if you enabled any secure erase options in ccleaner)

A first clean (or one which has had a long time between cleaning) will also be big and take a while.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It deleted 35 GB, I'd say that takes a long time (especially if you enabled any secure erase options in ccleaner)

Also matters if there were allot of small files, they take longer to delete.