How to PROTECT certain Directory/Files from Deletion?

axelrose

I want to PROTECT certain FOLDERS and FILES from being deleted when running CCLEANER.

I went to OPTIONS but when I selected a folder it had a warning telling me that ALL the files in the folder would be deleted?

So How do I protect certain folders/files from being deleted?

I want to be able to keep the LOGS certain programs make.

thanks,

Yes you can, but you need to make a change to the default behavior of Windows, disable Simple File Sharing. To do this go to "Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View". Scroll down to the very bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing".

Now right-click the folder/file you want to modify and select "Properties". Click on the "Security" tab and click the "Advanced" button. Select the name of the user you're using and click "Edit...". Check Deny for the Delete permission. If it's a folder also check Deny for the Delete Subfolders and Files permission.

That should make it so whenever CCleaner is run on that user it won't delete the files/folders you modified. Make sure you do this for every user that has access to the files/folders and might run CCleaner. Also keep in mind if you ever want to delete the modified files/folders you will need to revert the changes.

Do you have a hunger for tweaking? Have a sudden urge of the tweaking munchies and need to take care of it? Check out The Whistling Cricket Tweaking Restaurant.

I am sharing a folder over my LAN with another computer.

Will what you said disable that shared folder?

thanks

Yes you can, but you need to make a change to the default behavior of Windows, disable Simple File Sharing. To do this go to "Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View". Scroll down to the very bottom and uncheck "Use simple file sharing".

Now right-click the folder/file you want to modify and select "Properties". Click on the "Security" tab and click the "Advanced" button. Select the name of the user you're using and click "Edit...". Check Deny for the Delete permission. If it's a folder also check Deny for the Delete Subfolders and Files permission.

That should make it so whenever CCleaner is run on that user it won't delete the files/folders you modified. Make sure you do this for every user that has access to the files/folders and might run CCleaner. Also keep in mind if you ever want to delete the modified files/folders you will need to revert the changes.

I am sharing a folder over my LAN with another computer.

Will what you said disable that shared folder?

thanks

No, you can still share files and folders over your LAN but you will have more options and control over the share. The simple file sharing just makes it easier to share a file/folder, but it gives you hardly any control at all.

Do you have a hunger for tweaking? Have a sudden urge of the tweaking munchies and need to take care of it? Check out The Whistling Cricket Tweaking Restaurant.

I Tried what you said. The "Use simple fire sharing" option is no where in the list.

Maybe I didn't mention: I am using winXP SP1

Any other ideas???

thanks,

That option only exists in XP Professional, and it's a bad idea anyway, since the programs that created the logs wouldn't be able to write to them anymore, just as CCleaner wouldn't be able to delete them, so that would only create new problems.

What is the name of the program?

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

That option only exists in XP Professional, and it's a bad idea anyway, since the programs that created the logs wouldn't be able to write to them anymore, just as CCleaner wouldn't be able to delete them, so that would only create new problems.

I only told him to uncheck the Delete permission, the program would still be able to modify and append to the log. The only functionality he would be losing is the ability to delete the file/folder until he modifies the permission.

zonealarm pro

I only told him to uncheck the Delete permission, the program would still be able to modify and append to the log. The only functionality he would be losing is the ability to delete the file/folder until he modifies the permission.

Oh, I missed that part. :lol:

Anyway, since it can't be done (easily) in XP Home, why not just uncheck ZoneAlarm in CCleaner's Applications tab? :P

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Oh, I missed that part. :lol:

Anyway, since it can't be done (easily) in XP Home, why not just uncheck ZoneAlarm in CCleaner's Applications tab? :P

Zone Alarm is not an OPTION to "un-check" in the CCLEANER's application tabs.

If it's there, then it's invisable or hidden in some way?

Please, anyone have an idea on this problem?

thanks,

Zone Alarm is not an OPTION to "un-check" in the CCLEANER's application tabs.

If it's there, then it's invisable or hidden in some way?

Please, anyone have an idea on this problem?

thanks,

Hmm, funny - I have that option. What version of Ccleaner are you using?

Hmm, funny - I have that option. What version of Ccleaner are you using?

Is there a way/method of editing the config files so that it ADDS the ZoneAlarm option?

I believe I am using the latest and greatest version.

Should I downgrade to one which offers me that Log file Protection Option?

thanks,

Is there a way/method of editing the config files so that it ADDS the ZoneAlarm option?

thanks,

You should already have it. Here is the reference from winapp.ini from CCleaner v1.27.

[ZoneAlarm (Logs)]

LangSecRef=3022

Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm

Default=True

FileKey1=%windir%\Internet Logs|ZALog*.*

Did you edit your winapp.ini at all? Did you download winapp2.ini? Have you done anything with either of these files?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I use the latest version 6.1.737.000; no need to downgrade to an earlier version.

I use the latest version 6.1.737.000; no need to downgrade to an earlier version.

The latest CCleaner version. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

You should already have it. Here is the reference from winapp.ini from CCleaner v1.27.

[ZoneAlarm (Logs)]

LangSecRef=3022

Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm

Default=True

FileKey1=%windir%\Internet Logs|ZALog*.*

Did you edit your winapp.ini at all? Did you download winapp2.ini? Have you done anything with either of these files?

OMG Thank You so much. I opened that file and inserted those lines in several different places until I appeared under the Internet list of apps on the CCLEANER. NOW it denies deletions of the logs which is what I want.

Is there a way to add entries for individual files/folders NOT already in the winapp.ini file?

I looked at the file and the entries seem straighforward, almost like an old autoexec.bat from the old skool days.

Anyone?

OMG Thank You so much. I opened that file and inserted those lines in several different places until I appeared under the Internet list of apps on the CCLEANER. NOW it denies deletions of the logs which is what I want.

Is there a way to add entries for individual files/folders NOT already in the winapp.ini file?

I looked at the file and the entries seem straighforward, almost like an old autoexec.bat from the old skool days.

Anyone?

Actually yes. That is what the winapp2.ini is for. Here is the link with instructions.

winapp2.ini