restore regristry from backup created

brs

can anyone tell me where to find instructions on restoring regristry, should it be necessary? I am aware of it doing a backup before changes are made. plan to do as suggested in beginners guide, which is have all boxes checked which will then perform all changes in a single run. If something is wrong, i would like to be able to restore regristry without panic. cannot find any instructions on restore of regristry.

Hi brs , Welcome To The Forum :)

When you run the issues scan and choose to fix any of the items detected you will then get the option to create a backup file. If you choose yes it then lets you decide where you want to save this backup reg file to. Choose a location such as C:\Drive or create a new folder before running Ccleaner's issues scan for the backups by right clicking an empty space on C:\drive or where you want the folder then select 'New' then 'Folder' , Name it and press Enter.

When you save the backup file it will look like this. (cc_20060309_1039.reg) The cc refers to Ccleaner, the 20060309 is the date and 1039 is the time. With it having a .reg extention all you need to do to return the removed items to the registry is double click the .reg file (or right click the file and choose Merge). Windows will display a small option screen asking if you want to merge the contents into the registry, Choose 'Yes' and then all the items removed will be put back into the correct locations .

Regarding the question of if its necessary, Ccleaner should only remove leftover reg entries which are no longer needed but like any program it could make a mistake sometime so saving the backup is worthwhile especially if you have alot of issues to fix and you do not recognize the programs they relate to.

Let us know if you have any more questions

Regards

Andy

can anyone tell me where to find instructions on restoring regristry, should it be necessary? I am aware of it doing a backup before changes are made. plan to do as suggested in beginners guide, which is have all boxes checked which will then perform all changes in a single run. If something is wrong, i would like to be able to restore regristry without panic. cannot find any instructions on restore of regristry.

Hello, and welcome! :)

FYI for the newbies. Please DO NOT use the "hotfix uninstallers" option.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)