Need to format because of $hf_mig$ ?

Matt_

Hello, I really need to know if I should format to get my $hf_mig$ folder intact.

I heard it will expose my computer to bugs and corrupt future update installations by overwriting new files with old ones.

Should I format?

Would it be possible for someone to host their intact $hf_mig$ folder on the internet for download on a free host like http://www.filefront.com/ ?

I hope I don't need to format... but if it's the only way.

I have no backups whatsoever...

If you dont have any problem, then dont format.

I removed the uninstall hotfixes too, I dont have any problem. Everything works as expected.

Chill! :D

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

You can use System Restore if you're really worried about it. That will replace your entire folder. I personally am not worried about it. It won't expose your computer to bugs.

I'll think about hosting a folder from my other computer, but I'm not familiar with the link that you provided. Can someone tell me if it's safe (someone that I know)? If so I'll upload it for whoever wants it. But it's only for XP SP2.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

You can use System Restore if you're really worried about it. That will replace your entire folder. I personally am not worried about it. It won't expose your computer to bugs.

I'll think about hosting a folder from my other computer, but I'm not familiar with the link that you provided. Can someone tell me if it's safe (someone that I know)? If so I'll upload it for whoever wants it. But it's only for XP SP2.

Completely safe. ;)

Would be appreciated considering your folder is intact.

• Moderators

If someone is going to host that folder which is huge it's going to need to be compressed using something other than the crappy .zip format, logically it should either be a 7-Zip archive (.7Z) or WinRAR archive (.RAR) using solid and maximum compression.

I don't think it's a good idea to install the $hf_mig$ folder from another Windows installation. The $hf_mig$ folder should contain all hotfixes and service packs installed on that specific system, but only those that are actually installed.

Better restore it from the latest system backup.

I don't think it's a good idea to install the $hf_mig$ folder from another Windows installation. The $hf_mig$ folder should contain all hotfixes and service packs installed on that specific system, but only those that are actually installed.

Better restore it from the latest system backup.

He doesn't have a system backup which is his problem. And the $hf_mig$ folder is a cache of the hotfixes so each foler is labeled KBXX... You easily can run a search to see if the cache is something that you already have a hotfix for. If not don't use it. But I had too many problems trying to get the folder to him, and didn't have time to keep working on it.

I suggested that he do a repair installation, but he said that it will mess up his system. I don't know how a repair installation messes up your system. I did a repair installation a week or 2 ago, and everything is fine on my computer plus MS reinstalled all of my hotfix's so I have a new $hf_mig$ folder.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)