Windows 10 available on July 29th

hazelnut

• Moderators

I'm advising my peeps to turn off wifi-sense as soon as 10 is downloaded, but the last line of this article is too precious not to share with you all...

Why this Windows 10 feature is freaking everyone out

http://flip.it/54dvZ

(Shortner is from my flipboard news app, the link is cnn, bold above is headline if you wish to search CNN for it ;) )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
I probably won't consider installing W10 till about a year has passed. And yes, it does sound like MS is using their customers as .dll/driver guinea pigs.

Honestly I'll be a guinea pig to save having to buy a new os. I can understand why one wouldn't want to download it this day/week/month but to wait a year, I think your gonna miss out... but personal preference and what not

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

So far W7 does what I want it to do. Hey, if W10 really is free a year later I may get it. But I heard early on that it'll eventually be a yearly paid service like McAfee etc. Something around US $120 a year. I could afford that if need be. But I bet MS Office/Word will still not come with it. No DVD player or Windows Media Player? Excuse me? My PC is my music source.

I would hope that W10 does develop into a home system, and not into a Facebook/Twitter app.

• Moderators

I'm advising my peeps to turn off wifi-sense as soon as 10 is downloaded, but the last line of this article is too precious not to share with you all...

I posted about that here

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=43728&p=263424

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
So far W7 does what I want it to do. Hey, if W10 really is free a year later I may get it. But I heard early on that it'll eventually be a yearly paid service like McAfee etc. Something around US $120 a year. I could afford that if need be. But I bet MS Office/Word will still not come with it. No DVD player or Windows Media Player? Excuse me? My PC is my music source.

I would hope that W10 does develop into a home system, and not into a Facebook/Twitter app.

If by early on you mean at least 10 years and maybe never.

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-subscription-fears-with-10-year-support-commitment/

10 years is about 2 OS cycles for those type who hang on to the old insecure windows or 5 for the people who get the newest version within a reasonable (read a less than a year).

And I think it's Windows media center (Microsoft's xp-7 attempt to be tv) that won't be supported, not the removal of windows media player. This is because the Xbox One is their newest (read third) stab at being the living room. My guess it Holo will be the fourth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Windows_10#Removed_features

• Moderators

Ah ha and if you upgrade from a machine with WMC installed you get dvd pack for free...sweet

• Moderators

So oddly enough I'm on windows 10 on the desktop I originally had issues with(amd updated drivers). And Im back on 8 on my laptop. The dell worked great at first but I noticed the system wont go to sleep when I close the lid. It also doesn't ask for a password after it goes to sleep/turns off the screen like it should. I'm going to hold off on the upgrade for a while untill dell puts out some new drivers. 

• Moderators

It wasn't the Media Tool that left 2 folders behind, but the Win10 install itself.

It didn't cleanup 2 xxx$xxx folders; one was the usual ...$BT... one and the other was something similar.

I've seen them before when a Windows install fails and they get left behind.

I also blew away the Windows.old folder it created as it wasn't needed as I (anally) backed up the crap out of the PC first.  (so it's good to know that if it does go pear-shaped, Win10 is still doing a backup for you!)

And I don't know if MS has upped their server's bandwidth for the next few days/weeks to get over the initial download spike but the 3GiB download only took about about 2 hours - for me, here,  that was way above normal.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

http://flip.it/54dvZ

(Shortner is from my flipboard news app, the link is cnn, bold above is headline if you wish to search CNN for it ;) )

wifi-sense is one of the settings you can change as you install.

the default Express Settings I found a little scary and I reckon a turned off about 95% of them that were on by default.

• Moderators

Installed it yesterday. So far, no big issues. Start menu could be better though. Does anybody know if there is some way to use jumplists like w7/8 did?

when you have your program running, and it's sitting on the taskbar, if you left-click, hold down and drag up, it'll pop-up the Jump List.

im not convinced windows as a service will be a subscription based OS. there's little precedent for it. Instead I think they'll go the android route of integrating MS services so heavily into the OS that you're basically gimped if you dont use them.

Windows as a service was a poor name choice imo. They mentioned that name right around the time of all the subscription based rumors and people went full panic mode. Reality it's more like Linux rolling releases. Instead of a monthly patch tuesday it's updates pushed as needed.

• Moderators

one of the hopes in getting Win10 Pro was the rumours it would have user controllable Windows Updates - nope, completely under MS control just like the Home edition.

. . .

And yes, it does sound like MS is using their customers as .dll/driver guinea pigs.

Anybody running win 7 or later has little choice about troubleshooting windows for microsoft. 

It has been so since at least win 95. 

It's part of the business model, imho.  :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I cant believe they didn't include an option not to install device drivers from windows update. To me that's the single biggest flaw with windows 10. They have to fix this.

That will be the main reason why I won't bother with Windows 10.

when you have your program running, and it's sitting on the taskbar, if you left-click, hold down and drag up, it'll pop-up the Jump List.

Thanks. What a stupid way of invoking jump lists. It works for me 10% of the time. I have always hated gestures.

PS - I have found out that right-click works better.

• Moderators

PS - I have found out that right-click works better.

good find, now why didn't I think of that, I usually always use right-click as my go-to 'extra menu choices' option.

thanks.

From the Newsweek article:

More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.

From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,” the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

It just keeps getting better and better.

This may help some folks: "How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10"​

If a driver or update you are being offered is causing system crashes or instability and Windows was operating correctly prior to that update, you can follow these instructions to prevent the unwanted driver or update from being installed:​

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Came across this while researching a NVIDIA graphics driver 353.62 conflict.  

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"