CCleaner Community Forums

STEAM (CS GO) - VAC Authentication Error caused by CCleaner

Hey guys,

Been using CCleaner for years, but it seems that either an update from Valve's end or CCleaner has caused problems.

Everytime I run CCleaner now - the next time I play a match of CS GO - I'll get 'VAC Authentication Error' and be unable to reconnect resulting in a ban.

This is with 'Steam' de-selected in the application options before running CCleaner.

It took a while to find the cause of the issue but it seems to be a common problem:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/620712999982091539/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/620712999982924733/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/35bin7/vac_authentication_error/

Is there anyway we can strictly stop CCleaner from touching CS GO / Steam files?

Thanks!

• Moderators

If you use a downloaded winapp2.ini community file, or one from CCEnhancer look in that winapp2.ini file and remove everything that would clean Steam - or remove the winapp2.ini altogether.

How to make CCleaner exclude Steam:

1. Start CCleaner.

2. Go into: Options > Exclude

3. Input all of the paths to Steam (physical folders or files, and registry paths).

CCleaner will now skip Steam.

If you use a downloaded winapp2.ini community file, or one from CCEnhancer look in that winapp2.ini file and remove everything that would clean Steam - or remove the winapp2.ini altogether.

How to make CCleaner exclude Steam:

1. Start CCleaner.

2. Go into: Options > Exclude

3. Input all of the paths to Steam (physical folders or files, and registry paths).

CCleaner will now skip Steam.

Thanks - will give it a go.

Somehow completely missed the exclude tab.

• 2 weeks later...

the only way to check is for you to clean 1 by 1 until you find the cause

would be better to remove winapp2.ini incase you're still have it inside ccleaner folder

"Windows" tab first

disable/un-tick all option on "Application" tab > Analyze > Right click on the result > Save to text file > Clean > check if you the problem occur or not

if the problem did not occur, repeat the same step for "Application" tab

attach the log file here when you found which tab cause the problem

if you have problem attaching incase the file too big :o , paste it to any site like pastebin and put the link here

• 1 year later...

I can't test type like you suggest because I get ban for 30 minutes then for day then for week!!!

I used 5 years CCleaner 3 months ago I started playing CS GO and have same problem in ccleaner i have excluded steam but nothing helped. i see this problem has not resolved from 2015 year... Ok will unninstall CCleaner, sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

The issue has been reported to the admin so that it gets forwarded to the proper people who can fix it.

I've been an avid user of CCleaner for years and I've had huge issues with being kicked by CS GO games because "something is stopping VAC from working"... Turns out this is CCleaners fault, which is very disappointing. I'm uninstalling until I have confirmation that CCleaner no longer interferes with VAC. I'd be willing to bet that tons of users has already uninstalled CCleaner for that reason.

I have never had CCleaner interfere with Steam or VAC, and I have written/use several Steam entries that go beyond the standard cleaning.

Some more info for the developers would be helpful for triaging your bug, for example

your OS and build number (you can get this by running winver).

Do you run any firewall or antivirus programs? Is csgo.exe allowed in them? Be sure to check that CCleaner isn't deleting a firewall rule you need.

Are you opted into the Steam beta client?

Is steam/CSGO running when you run CCleaner? You should be sure to exit both Steam and CSGO prior to running CCleaner to make sure it has properly released any locks on files it may have or want.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I was disconnected again by this reason: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2117-ILZV-2837 and can't connect back anymore (tips in this article doesn't helped). Thas was after playing ~18 of 30 rounds.

I have installed new version of windows 10 x64 version 1607 os build 14393.576.

Yes I run 360 total security, tryed disable it - same result.

No, i don't use beta steam.

Steam was closed before I run ccleaner.