Missing Startup Software

MarshallO

This is my first post, so I hope that I'm in the right Forum! According to CCleaner, under "Issues" I have the following "Missing Startup Software": HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (which I haven't been able to locate anywhere on my computer!). Every time that I delete it via CCleaner, when I re-log onto the net, Spybot's Teatimer forces me to create a new Registry entry for it, which is then gets re-deleted by CCleaner, which then gets re-added by Spybot when I log back onto the network again, and so forth and so forth and so forth. . . I find that by unchecking "Run at Startup" under Registry Integrity, I don't have this problem, but have never had this problem AT ALL prior to a few days ago! Does anyone know what is happening, what HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Run is, and how I can get it back? As far as I can tell, my computer is running fine (particularly after I removed the very troublesome Musicmatch), but wonder what is causing this "Missing Startup Software" problem. I'd appreciate any help you can offer me. THANKS! :D

That is the registry key, there is also an registry value to that key.

What is the value?

Eldmannen--I'm a relative novice to computers, so I haven't the slightest idea how to locate a "registry value". For the time being, I've "solved" this problem by deciding never to use CCleaner's "Issues" (or any) registry cleaner again until I know what I'm doing! I've been warned that if you aren't very computer-savvy (which I'm certainly not!), cleaning the registry isn't the greatest of ideas--you might wind-up deleting something you need (even if you "save" your deletions, unless you know which of the deletions--out of all the multitudes you've saved--was the one you SHOULDN'T have deleted, "saving" really isn't going to do you much good, either)!

Thanks, anyway! :rolleyes:

I've been warned that if you aren't very computer-savvy (which I'm certainly not!), cleaning the registry isn't the greatest of ideas--you might wind-up deleting something you need (even if you "save" your deletions, unless you know which of the deletions--out of all the multitudes you've saved--was the one you SHOULDN'T have deleted, "saving" really isn't going to do you much good, either)!

Thanks, anyway! :rolleyes:

You're right about 1 thing. You should learn about your registry before using a registry cleaner.

And saving does work if you do it properly. You shouldn't have many backups.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

(So far, most of what computer "knowledge" I have has been gained via making--and then trying to correct--hideous mistakes!)

That's how I got to where I'm at today, I would royally f'up my Win98 computer back in 1998 only to learn how to fix it.

Yes, it is possible to learn alot by breaking things.

My computer often used to break, and when it did, if I wanted to continue use it, I had to figure out a way to fix it.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png