Hotfix

krit86lr

I'm posting this in response to the $hf_mig$ thread going on in CCleaner Discussion. This tool may, or may not be useful in checking your system. I haven't tested it yet, but it can't hurt. ;)

"Microsoft has released a command-line tool named Qfecheck.exe that gives network administrators increased ability to track and verify installed Windows 2000 and Windows XP hotfixes. This tool provides the following benefits:

? This tool helps customers who thought they had properly installed an update, but had not, and are now experiencing a problem. Previously, it was somewhat difficult to identify which fixes were installed on a computer. This simple tool easily enumerates all of the installed fixes by Microsoft Knowledge Base article number. Customers can then confirm that they have installed the appropriate set of fixes before using a valuable support incident and potentially experiencing unplanned down time.

? Many companies identify a common set of fixes that are required for all servers in a given data center. To help ensure that Windows 2000 and Windows XP hotfixes are applied in a consistent manner across many servers, this tool allows you to create logs for each computer in your organization that show which fixes are installed. Once those logs are created, you can easily scan them for consistency.

? There are rare situations in which, because of a network problem, a problem with the update itself, or a subsequent update that improperly overwrites a previous fix, updates could be damaged or removed in error. This tool ensures that not only have the fixes been installed, but that they are current on the computer.

? Microsoft has noted a significant correlation between maintaining a consistent platform across organizations and the overall stability and uptime of those systems. Microsoft believes that using this tool to regularly audit computers is a best practice that will help customers achieve higher reliability on their computers." (MS Corp)

FOR MORE INFORMATION Read Me Downloads for the tool are also available on this page.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Never mind. It's useless. I used it, and didn't find it to be informative.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi Krit

I was just looking at area's of the forum which I havent checked out and saw this post :)

This batch script will create a list of installed Hotfixes on a NT Based system

Open notepad and copy the contents of the code box into it :

regedit /e Hotfix.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix"notepad Hotfix.txt

Goto file on the top bar of Notepad and choose 'Save As' , name it anything with a .bat extention such as hotfix.bat then change the 'Save As Type' to All Files. Save it to your pc and double click it to export the Hotfix details to a text file and Automatically open with Notepad.

I dont think its going to give any information that would help with the Ccleaner issue but it does list every Hotfix installed.

Hi Krit

I was just looking at area's of the forum which I havent checked out and saw this post :)

This batch script will create a list of installed Hotfixes on a NT Based system

Open notepad and copy the contents of the code box into it :

regedit /e Hotfix.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix"notepad Hotfix.txt

Goto file on the top bar of Notepad and choose 'Save As' , name it anything with a .bat extention such as hotfix.bat then change the 'Save As Type' to All Files. Save it to your pc and double click it to export the Hotfix details to a text file and Automatically open with Notepad.

I dont think if its going to give any information that would help with the Ccleaner issue but it does list every Hotfix installed.

That's very helpful. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• Moderators

That's pretty crafty. Glad to see there's another batch and registry fiend on here!

Removed Tweaks :)

Will happily keep them for myown system as I was only intending to put them on for a couple of weeks incase novice users got confused about what they do, with only about 3 downloads in 3 days I thought I may as well remove them sooner

All The Best

You rock! :D Thanks!

Hey, since we're on the topic. Do you have a tweak to make the NumLock button to stay on after rebooting? ;)

Hi K

Sorry I cant help you there :unsure: , I think the NumLock button is just a keyboard feature and it wouldnt make any registry changes if its enabled or disabled.

Hi K

Sorry I cant help you there :unsure: , I think the NumLock button is just a keyboard feature and it wouldnt make any registry changes if its enabled or disabled.

RegSeeker had a tweak for the NumLock key. :)

I assume the tweak involves adjusting this key value:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

I wasnt sure if it would restore the settings when the system reboots as its not a key I usually play around with, If you use a registry monitoring tool and enable numlock it doesnt make any changes so thought its best to not get involved with that one :lol:

All The Best

Andy

You rock! :D Thanks!

Hey, since we're on the topic. Do you have a tweak to make the NumLock button to stay on after rebooting? ;)

On my pc there is an option in the Bios that says boot num-lock. It was under Advanced CMOS Settings in the advanced section.