Recover a full folder structure?

JAGulin

Hi, I'm a new user trying to help a friend. The scan shows files intact and the path intact. Perfect!

However, when the restore continues it's obvious that the directory structure is NOT recreated. All files are restored to one folder, with the result of overwrites and a general mess. In this case the folders are projects with lots of files nested folders. To add to the problem there are copies of the same folder structure. (Don't ask me why it was a good idea to have the backup on the same drive as the original...)

I'm using the basic file recovery wizard but as far as I read it wouldn't be different in other modes. Am I right? The folders are just deleted and there are other ok files on the drive so I assume some kind of "unformat" isn't what I was looking for. Would that recreate the structure? With thousands of files it sounds like it may be a better option.

Recuva seems to be really good, but this had me all confused. I understand that file structure may be unreliable on some disks, but why isn't it possible to recreate the folders when I can see that the path is indeed correct? I must be missing some setting, I'm sure it's that easy! Or a feature in paid versions only? (In that case it should be made more clear.)

Some suggestions:

1. Make Recuva recover folder structure by default, or with an easily found option.

2. The help docs should be longer pages so that it's possible to search rather than just click in-and-out of dead-ends.

3. A file documenting the status/progress should be saved with the restored files. That way you have something to look back to if a file is corrupt.

4. The files could be listed in a folder structure like manner. It would be easier to mark "all in this folder" rather than "file by file". When more fine grained selection would be needed open the folder and toggle individual files.

Sorry if what I'm saying is totally wrong, I just had to write and perhaps find out if I'm crazy or not. Otherwise I'll probably make the same mistake again next time. :-)

Cheers, JAGulin

• Moderators

1) I can't see this option in the wizard, you have to go into advanced mode (which is far better anyway)

2) Yes

3) Hmm. Can't really see what that would say

4) Right click on the file list pane, select Highlight Folder; or right click, select View Mode/Tree View