CCleaner Registry Backup Not Working

Pidove

Hello,

Yesterday, I used the Registry Cleaner option (Which I don't think I'll be playing with again, though I do love CCleaner for its usual purpose!) in CCleaner and I think I may have deleted something connected to my networking - specifically my upload. Luckily I do have a backup from before I deleted things but it isn't working. :( I have tried double-clicking the backup, I've tried importing it in regedit (As admin and without, neither work) and I've tried using PSTools to try and merge it back - nothing works! Every time I try I get the following error:

554Frmu.png

I've tried putting the .reg file in different locations and that doesn't help, either; I've checked permissions on the .reg file and it is full rights for my user (as I am the only user on the computer). I'm really not sure what to do now. :( It is seriously impairing my internet, though, and I'd really like to be able to restore my registry keys I deleted to see if that is where my problem stems from.

I am running Windows 8.1 and CCleaner version 5.03.5128 (64-bit).

I can supply the .reg file if that's needed - I've never encountered this sort of thing and I honestly should not have messed with the Registry Cleaner without reading all the entries, I realize this is entirely my fault. But I wish to find a way that I may utilize my backups if at all possible.

Thank you so much in advance!  :)

If you have a recent System Restore point available that was made before using the registry cleaner you can use it to fully restore the Windows registry.

Thank you for your response!

I did try this as I had a restore point from the day before I used CCleaner but it gave me a strange error that it was unable to do this as my C drive was corrupt which wasn't possible, as my C drive is not corrupt. So I cannot go this option, either. :(

Edit: I should mention that I did check my C drive by using the 'Check for Errors' feature in its properties panel but it brought back the all-clear.

Edit#2: I ran sfc in CMD and apparently there IS corruption of the file CNBJ2530; I honestly think it has nothing to do with the CCleaner but it could be why I am not able to fix my registry. I am not 100% on that of course but I am trying to fix that problem first; I'm running DISM now as per instructions I found elsewhere because apparently this is common in Windows 8. I'll update again when I know how this goes! I do still welcome and appreciate insight into this whole issue, if anyone has something to contribute!

• Moderators

if Canon still sticks to their naming convention (and no-one else has opted into it) then CNBJ2530 is a file required for a Canon BubbleJet printer.

so not so worrying about that file in particular, and it unto itself wouldn't cause your registry problems but it would suggest an underlying fault with the hard drive overall.

so... some questions;  apparently Windows 8?, laptop or desktop?, how old?, what type of hard drive SSD or HDD?

any reason why you saved the .reg backup file to your SkyDrive folder?

two things I would try first;  run the .reg import with the PC in Safe Mode (yeah I know, I'm clutching straws but let's cross it off the list) and second, go into RegEdit, and for each of the five hives, right click, select Permissions, add a user called Everyone and give it Full Control.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

if Canon still sticks to their naming convention (and no-one else has opted into it) then CNBJ2530 is a file required for a Canon BubbleJet printer.

so not so worrying about that file in particular, and it unto itself wouldn't cause your registry problems but it would suggest an underlying fault with the hard drive overall.

so... some questions;  apparently Windows 8?, laptop or desktop?, how old?, what type of hard drive SSD or HDD?

any reason why you saved the .reg backup file to your SkyDrive folder?

two things I would try first;  run the .reg import with the PC in Safe Mode (yeah I know, I'm clutching straws but let's cross it off the list) and second, go into RegEdit, and for each of the five hives, right click, select Permissions, add a user called Everyone and give it Full Control.

Thank you for your response! I had gone ahead and run the repair program for the CNBJ2530 files and it did fix them, I now get a clean bill of health when running /scannow. However, I am still unable to edit my registry as expected and I cannot rollback either. It still says there's corruption even when there is none reported in the scans. So I'm not sure on what all that means.  :huh:

I am running Windows 8.1, yes. Laptop, about 1 year and a few months old, HDD. The .reg file was in my SkyDrive only because it is saved there automatically (I thought it was in my normal documents, I guess when I chose where it went, I saw 'Documents' and didn't realize I was in the SkyDrive directory) but I've moved it to other folders without success, too. :(

I ran my laptop in safe mode as asked, without networking (to ensure that there wasn't a network process that was keeping me from using the backup) and it still refused to let me use the backup even when I set the permissions on all of the hives.

• Moderators

it would suggest an underlying fault with the hard drive overall.

Time to backup everything that's important like family photos, music, etc., onto other media and/or another hard disk then.

The disk error checker ("ChkDsk") can be ran to check for bad sectors - but before messing with it I'd backup everything important first.

Edit:

We posted near the same time. I'm glad to see you've got a clean bill of health as for that corruption. As for being unable to import the backup .reg file I don't know and will let someone else chime in on that - although it has happened to other CCleaner users before with no real solution that I've seen come forth.

Edited by Andavari

Time to backup everything that's important like family photos, music, etc., onto other media and/or another hard disk then.

The disk error checker ("ChkDsk") can be ran to check for bad sectors - but before messing with it I'd backup everything important first.

Edit:

We posted near the same time. I'm glad to see you've got a clean bill of health as for that corruption. As for being unable to import the backup .reg file I don't know and will let someone else chime in on that - although it has happened to other CCleaner users before with no real solution that I've seen come forth.

Thank you! I guess I'll turn on some music and begin the laborious task of backing up everything into ZIPs and moving them so that I can begin seeing what other options I may look into until I hear some other input; I suppose there's no time like the present to back things up, even if it doesn't come to having to reset everything.

I suspect the .reg file issue has something to do with Windows 8 - I've seen guides for rectifying the issue that work with all OS before W8 but very few that work for W8. Definitely no intentions to play with the registry after this, lol! Takes one time to learn one's lesson. :P

I am considering doing a 'System Refresh' which from what I understand would set me back to Factory Default including a clean and functional registry without displacing my pictures, music, etc but it would remove all installed programs including my art programs I use for my work (one of which is Adobe Photoshop) and I'd really like to avoid having to do that for as long as possible. I've lost my Adobe key and I don't think it would have let me re-use it anyways.

Before you do try this from a cmd prompt run as admin.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Thank you for your response! I did try this (in addition to sfc scan) and it brought back the all-clear but my registry still is not allowing me to merge the backup. :( I have decided to go ahead with the refresh because I got lucky enough to find my Adobe Photoshop key! So now I have no reservations about doing a refresh. Now it's a matter of fighting with 0.19 mbps upload speed to backup my files before I do so.

I'll update if anything changes or if the refresh, for whatever reason, doesn't work.

• Moderators

I had to do a refresh on someone's PC last night.

All-in-all, a very painless exercise.  Very similar to the Repair install of the XP days.

The 'refresh' stage took about 20 or so minutes then it was all the software reloading to do.

And I can confirm, all personal data was untouched, so if you really felt game, you wouldn't have to do your backups - but hey - they are a personal bug-bear of mine (see my signature) on how many people simple don't do any.

Also, in Windows 8, the chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt is far superior than the Error Checking, Scan Drive process from within File Explorer.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

In the future it would be a good idea to get a free disk imaging/cloning software (allot of us on here use Macrium Reflect), that way you can restore to a fully function system with your programs already installed without having to "refresh/reinstall" the OS.

Edited by Andavari

I come bearing news! This morning I saw the post about checkdisk recovery and I figured it was worth a shot before I refreshed so I went ahead and set it up while I went back to bed. Five hours later, my internet is functioning normally and my system is running much smoother! Even smoother than before I used CCleaner. So my thinking is that maybe this was a hardware malfunction that coincidentally happened when I used CCleaner or whatever I deleted started the trail of dominoes. Whatever the case may be, my laptop is functioning properly now! Thank you all very, very much for your help and guidance, I really do appreciate it! :) I was really at wit's end, haha.

In the future it would be a good idea to get a free disk imaging/cloning software (allot of us on here use Macrium Reflect), that way you can restore to a fully function system with your programs already installed without having to "refresh/reinstall" the OS.

I will definitely check that one out! I have Spybot S&D to make backups of my registry now but I think another form of backing up everything else is a good idea, too! So thank you very much for the recommendation. :)

• Moderators

Really good to hear all is well for you now Pidove :)

Macrium is about as simple as it gets for making a system image, and it doesn't hurt to copy your pictures, music and docs onto a flash drive (or even DVD's) as well for extra insurance.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Macrium is about as simple as it gets for making a system image, and it doesn't hurt to copy your pictures, music and docs onto a flash drive (or even DVD's) as well for extra insurance.

Another good thing about Macrium Reflect Free Edition is you can mount the backup image and copy files from it as if it were another hard disk drive -- I've restored a corrupt program that's non-resident doing that before without having to reinstall it. I also backup to a flash drive using a separate backup process that I 7-Zip my backup into, and about once per year burn a DVD-R with setups, backups, etc., that I want to keep.