Registry backups saved as .txt files?

shaft121

Hi, I have run CCleaner and the registry key value backups have been saved as a .txt file (Notepad). I am currently on Windows XP with SP2. When I rightclick on the registry backup .txt file, I do not receive the option to 'merge', thus restoring the backup. Can anybody tell me how I can get round this to restore my backup?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have run CCleaner and the registry key value backups have been saved as a .txt file (Notepad). I am currently on Windows XP with SP2. When I rightclick on the registry backup .txt file, I do not receive the option to 'merge', thus restoring the backup. Can anybody tell me how I can get round this to restore my backup?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, all sorted. I realised I had to open the .txt files with Reg Editor rather than notepad. Cheers anyway :)

Yes that is what I was talking about.

Just curious, but what version of CCleaner are you using? Andavari was right, something is screwy.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I downloaded it about 3 days ago from the official site so I assume it is the latest version. And my PC is constantly screwy in some way, especially with all the Delayed Write failures :(

Okay, what build did you download (there are 3)? Also, are you using Norton by any chance?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Downloaded Version 1.27.260.

It was the standard build.

And I am using the following Spyware programs.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware

Spyware Guard

AVG Free Edition

Uninstall CCleaner. Reboot. Then reinstall CCleaner. Choose to download either the Basic Build, or the Slim Build. The Basic Build supports multiple languages, and the Slim only supports english. Reboot after installing. Now run CCleaner, and fix Issues. If the problem continues follow these instructions.

To work around this problem, turn off SMB signing on the server:

1. Start Registry Editor.

2. Locate, and then click the enablesecuritysignature value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters

3. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

4. In the Value data: box, type 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor.

6. Restart the computer.

If these instructions are not clear, ask for clarification before continuing. I hope this works! :)

Thanks for your help but my problem was solved and I don't have a problem with CCleaner doing what it did as I solved it easily. It's all fine now, but thanks anyway.

What was the solution? Are you keeping the standard build?

Yes I am keeping what I have, I posted my solution above. It just involved right clicking on the file and opening it with Reg Edit rather than Notepad. Simple Really.

My solution was for the "Delayed Write Failures". Are those fixed too? <_<

krit86lr, who are you and why aren't you a moderator? :D

:lol: I'm K! (You should know who I am with all of the PM's I have been sending you lately). And I don't know how to be a moderator, and I'm not qualified. I'm still a n00b. ;)

My delayed write filures have been happening LONG before I installed CClenaer.

I understand. If you want to fix the problem (problem being "delayed write failures") follow these instructions. If you don't want to fix the problem then please disregard this post.

To work around this problem, turn off SMB signing on the server:

1. Start Registry Editor.

2. Locate, and then click the enablesecuritysignature value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters

4. In the Value data: box, type 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor.

6. Restart the computer.

If these instructions are not clear, ask for clarification before continuing.

The only thing is the I'm not on a server. I'm on my personal PC.

Can you go into your event viewer, and get the Event ID and Error Source and the Message?

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

click on Applications - you will see errors and warnings (double click on them for information)

click on System - you will see errors and warnings (double click on them for information)

This will narrow down the source of your problem as well as the solution. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation. That is what the error reports say in my system error section. In the application errors sssection, I only have two, and they are to do with a trialware version of an MP3/WMA convertor I downloaded ages ago and used twice tonight, and those errors always occur when I try to close the program or when it finishes a conversion.

The following instructions are 3 possible solutions in one. It will take about 10 minutes. You do need administrator access to perform these tasks. If your user account isn't the administrator then logon as administrator. Print these instructions for easy navigation. If you have any questions please ask before continuing.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\3ware Storage Controller\Cache Control (If this key is not in your registry skip to step 5)

4. Type 0, and then press ENTER.

5. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

6. In the right pane, right-click the value SystemPages, and then click Modify.

7. In the Value data box, type the following value: 0xFFFFFFFF and then click OK

8. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters

9. In the right pane, right-click enablesecuritysignature, and then click Modify.

10. In the Value data: box, type 0, and then click OK.

11. Quit Registry Editor.

12. Restart the computer.

uh ..okay. so is it ok for the backup to appear as a .txt (as mine does also) and open it w/ reg edit if it needs to be restored. or is there an inherent problem with it appearing as a .txt :mellow:

Something is wrong. It should save as a .reg file. When you save the backup can you change the file type/file extension?