Editing the *.ini-files

Oliver

Hello together,

I am totally new to this community.

What I like about the cleaner is its flexibility concerning individual settings in the ini-files. Unfortunately I am not very familar with editing those files.

Can anyone help me, I would like the cleaner also to delete:

a. prefetch-files *.pf

b. all the *.log, *.sik and *.bak-files out of the root-directory c:\ (not just from the sub-windows-folder)

c. some additional registry-entries like "Open/SaveMRU" etc.

can someone tell me the syntax of those commands and what file I have to edit for those changes?

Every answer will be very much appreciated,

thx,

Oliver

To remove your old Prefetch data, open CCleaner, and check the box titled "Old Prefetch data" under the Windows tab. CCleaner won't remove the logs from the C:\ directory, so you will have to manually get rid of those. CCleaner only removes application and Windows logs.

As far as .bak and .sik files, no clue. I don't think CCleaner messes with those either.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Hello Lokoike,

thanks for your quick answer. :)

Concerning Prefetch Files, I already ticked the box "System" >>> "Clean old Prefetch Data", but the *.pf files still remain in their Prefetch-Folder after procedure. I am sure I am doing something wrong here.

With your answer, that CCleaner doesn?t mess with those *.bak,*.old,*.sik files on root level (throughout c:\ and subfolders) you are acually saying that it is impossible to "finetune" the cleaner, concerning deleting those files? Is there really no chance to change the settings in one of those ini-files?

Thanks for any answer again,

Oliver

CCleaner v. 27.260 (14.02.2006) Win XP Pro SP1 Opera 9.0

CCleaner doesn't delete all Prefetch files; it simply removes ones that are old or invalid, so as to not cause you to lose performance.

If you have the same files that keep showing up in the same place, you can use the Custom Files and Folders option (located under Options > Custom) to remove them. But you will have to manually create an entry for each one.

For example, if you have a file named "pork.bak" that keeps showing up under C:\, even after you delete it, choose Add File and select it. Then go under Cleaner > Windows tab and check the box marked "Custom Files and Folders". Every time you run CCleaner, it will remove this file, assuming that it is recreated.

Other than that, there aren't any ways that CCleaner can determine by itself whether these files are junk, so you'll have to set it up manually.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• 3 weeks later...

... so as to not cause you to lose performance.

Can I just interject - deleting all pf files won't necessarily cause performance loss overall - but, it will slow down the next reboot, but after that everything should actually be slightly faster.

Sweet :)

• Moderators

The batch file listed below will remove common prefetch junk, for instance from installers, uninstallers, Microsoft updates, etc., that you most likely won't be using again anytime soon.

1. Copy into Notepad, and save to a file with the .bat extension, e.g.;

"Clean Prefetch.bat"

2. Run Clean Prefetch.bat to clean out some of the most common prefetch junk files.

DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\AU*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\ARPIDFIX*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*.BIN*.PFDEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\DXDLLREG*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\FLASH*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\GETFLASH*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\GLB*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*HOTFIX*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*INS*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*INCLUDES*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*INSTALL.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\INSTALL*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*INSTALL*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*ISDEL*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\KB*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*KB*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\MSIEXEC*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*NSISU*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\PATCH*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\RUN*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*SET*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*SETUP.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\SETUP*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*SETUP*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*TMP.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\TMP*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*TMP*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\UN*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*UN.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*UN*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\UNWISE*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\UNINS*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\UP*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*UP.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*UP*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*UPDATE.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\UPDATE*.PF"DEL /Q "%WINDIR%\PREFETCH\*UPDATE*.PF"